LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 5:09 pm 

With the wiper motor back in, and some of the duct paths established, I went back and cut the AC hoses to length and taped the ends to take them to a local shop to have them crimped.. looks like they get about $5 per crimp..

2nd and 3rd pic just show how things are coming together as I prepare to set the dash assembly back in.. last pic just shows where the wiper and headlight switch ended up..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 5:11 pm 

Feb 20, 2017

Dash gets mocked into place to check clearances and allow last of the AC lines to be routed (still have to work the heater lines into place..)

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 12:16 pm 

Feb 25-26, 2017

I know, without pictures it didn't happen :lol: ...

Did a bit of 'fussy' work this weekend that didn't make for good pics.. While he was crimping the lines for me, I talked to the local AC guy about my variable speed AC compressor working together with the Vintage Air stuff.. The techs at VA say DON"T DO IT, but because of packaging issues, I've gotta try..

The AC guy (with 17 years experience) says to quit worrying, that it will work fine.. He's a VA dealer, and says the LS guys do it all the time (using the same factory variable speed OEM pump that I'm using) with no issues..

So I keep moving forward.. Installed all AC lines for the 'final' time (had to make a "crow's foot" tubing wrench sort of thing to get to a very hard to access line end- took more time than it should have..).. Installed the under-dash heater lines for the final time.. hung the evaporator for the last time.. bolted the dash in for last time (and routed the GPS antenna up through it (I note that because I initially forgot to do this :roll: )

Up next, find molded heater hoses to go from the firewall to the engine.. route all heat/AC ducts under the dash.. hang the EPS column for the last time under the dash..

Then, I confront my arch enemy, The Evil Aftermarket Wiring Harness of Death :furious: ...boohoohoohwaahaahaa!!!

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 4:38 pm 

March 4-5, 2017

Focus turns to getting the EPS column modded and installed for the last time.. Because it hangs so low, I elected to remove the 'brain' box and graft in a bit of extra wiring to help relocate it up under the dash and out of view..

This mod really can be done to any car, so long as you have room up under the dash..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 4:43 pm 

A few more shots of the relocated box and the overall package length (1800 guys... this still leaves about 6"+ room to the firewall (LOTS of room under the 1800 dash for this mod)..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 5:40 pm 

1st pic is looking down at the column at eye level.. it was important to me that the lower column/motor not hang down in the field of view in the seated position..

2nd pic is looking down the column at chest height.. I took this pic just to show a lower angle of the same hardware..

3rd pic is an upshot of the under the dash area.. as bits are added, it's becoming quite busy under there :o

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 5:53 pm 

3-5-17

As the weekend wraps up finished installing the column.. worked for a while on finally linking the now-installed upper column to the lower column/box, but I couldn't make the parts I have work, so need to order one last new u-joint/damper.. Also, left over from last week, went to connect the heater hoses at the firewall to the motor.. If I'd been paying attention I'd have realized the the motor side of things has 3/4" fittings, and the firewall is the 5/8" stuff that I put in.. a cheap and easy re-do, but it's mucking up the easy little stuff like that that slows you down..

..so a few more bits and she'll truly have steering again, and soon the heater loop will be closed up..

A last few pics here just show the A/C and heater ductwork in place.. a bunch of angry snakes hiding up in there :lol: ..finally, I used wrinkle paint on the little trim ring that goes up on the dash behind the steering wheel.. should dress things up nicely when in place..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 11:20 am 

March 12, 2017

Minor progress this weekend.. Got the steering vibration damper and finished fitting the last of the odd column bits to size to link it all up.. Had a minor disagreement between the drive-by-wire module and the damper as they both wanted to live in the same space (yellow and red boxes).. a very minor tweak and all is well again..

Pulled the bits back out to paint, and will put them in for the last time in the next few days..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 11:47 am 

A bit tongue-in-cheek :roll:

Injured myself pretty badly this weekend.. Big picture, got lucky it wasn't worse, and all will end with just a scar and a story..

I was cutting on some pretty beefy steel on a flatbed that I'm modifying for my truck.. No worries, just using my trusty 4-1/2" angle grinder and, you know, cutting steel.. no biggie..

Well, something happened.. I wasn't being overzealous or binding things up or any of the 'normal' mistakes that can get you in trouble (I've done all of those too :lol: ).. All of a sudden the disc caught an edge, and kicked the grinder back into my face..

You just winced, didn't you :shock: ? the grinder struck me in the right cheek (yes, this time I had safety glasses on), then it caught my right shoulder, shirt, and got bound up and stopped..

I turned it off, and for a second I thought I'd gotten lucky and had no/minor injuries.. then I noticed the blood coming from my cheek..

You don't want all of the gory details, but I didn't know if I could get myself to urgent car, or maybe the ER (no one else was home), or if I should call 911.. I put a clean t-shirt on my face and drove myself to Urgent care (didn't know how minor/major things were)..

Here's a tip.. If you're bleeding profusely, Urgent car will usher you in right away! :P

Very nice doctor took a look, excused himself, then came back with doctor #2.. they both looked things over.. learned that while it was very deep, it was still a few milometers from having gone all the way through, and it was too much for them- gotta go to the ER.. Weee! Who doesn't love the ER?!

Here's a tip.. Even if you're bleeding profusely, you will sit and wait the requisite 8 hours, just like everyone else :cry:

So what have we learned? I feel blessed it didn't catch an eye or an artery.. In the big picture it's not that bad.. 3 'inside' stitches and 13 'outside' stitches and a big thank you to a very nice and very skilled ER doctor..

I still don't know what caused this.. I'm wondering if the disc just fluked and failed for no reason.. so odd- I had no warning or indication on this.. a little freaky really :|

Again, all is well now.. just a good scare, and a reminder to try and never go back the the ER :mrgreen:

I don't want to be one of those people that posts really bad looking injury pics online.. you know, the kind you can't unsee.. so instead, I'll post a pic of the offending wheel, and say please be careful while working on your project..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 1:13 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
please be careful while working on your project..

Thank goodness it wasn't worse. You are lucky.
This is the second grinder injury I've read about in the last few days.

Always make it a practice to assess the job, the tools you are going to be using (guards in place, safety switches working, etc), and an escape plan if it goes sideways on you.

I myself try to always try to stand to the side when grinding or cutting with a grinder in case the disc fails or grinder decides to jump, I don't want to be in the line of fire if something happens.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us ccrunner, it's a good wake call for all of us.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 8:22 pm 

Wish you a speedy recovery!

I love my full face shield. It's prevented a fair share of injuries and I find it more convenient than safety glasses most of the time. A couple exploded cut off wheels not unlike yours were deflected by it over the course of all the metal work on the 53. I also like wearing my old welding gloves with my long sleeve work shirt tucked into the cuffs while running the death-wheel. All too easy for these things to act in unexpected ways! It's the piece of equipment I respect the most because it so often "nearly" hurts me.

PostPosted: March 15, 2017, 3:15 pm 

March 14, 2017

A short post to mark my own progress.. Linked the steering column from the box up to the steering wheel after work; she truly has functional front suspension and steering again.. still need to give the EPS 12 volts, but that comes next with the Painless harness install..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 17, 2017, 10:41 am 

Yes, I did flinch.

I figure that if your not willing to undergo a certain degree of almost daily self mutilation, stay out of the shop, never leave the couch and always have your ever loving open the beer for you.

But this degree of self mutilation is uncalled for. Take care.

Bill

PostPosted: March 18, 2017, 8:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
please be careful while working on your project..
Damn, Dude... Who do you think you are, Team Slotus? Ouch!!!

Glad it wasn't worse and yes, we all need to be careful in the shop.
Attachment:
Snake Pliskin.jpg

Actually, here at Team Slotus we're currently into chemical burns from immersing one's hand into gasoline for an extended period of time. But soon I'm gonna go back to making a hood, so your advice is timely.

Now, where did I put that face shield??? It's in here somewhere...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 12:05 pm 

March 18-19, 2017

Did some little things this weekend.. fabbed in the new 5/8" to 3/4" heater hose at firewall elbows.. filled the tranny with 75-90 oil... Linked the driveshaft to the tranny.. and made a small shim for the rearmost tranny crossmember so that it is now a better fit between the Volvo rails.. Speaking of rails, a little side project will derail the 1800 work for a few weeks...

Attention has now turned to switching our F250 to a flatbed- modding this 8' x8' platform down to fit the shortbed.. I need to do this in preparation for how things will be loaded as we get back into camping/outdoors stuff this year... several years ago we would take the girls out camping, but the recession/career changes/life had us sell most everything off, including my beloved 79 F250 crew.. we miss getting out and away, so slowly but surely we're acquiring the needed* stuff to get back into the great outdoors.

*the definition of 'need'; What my sweet Princess wife requires to have all of the comforts of home, while being away from home.. She's grown intolerant of tents, and 40 year old trucks that may or may not make the journey.. and honestly, so have I.. so we're blessed to now be in a place where we have mildly used stuff (truck/trailer) that's not too old, and usually works... ...like us :lol:

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 44  Next