LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 8:45 am 

Two Top Tips there! I'll do both.

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 8:52 am 

That book does indeed look interesting. I found a run-down on the publisher's website here ==> http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/p ... %20Trucks& for those who are curious.

Is the book on the cover the MG Airline Coupé? It's a small image, but the profile at front looks like a classic MG of the 40s/50s.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 11:04 am 

Yup That would be the the MG Airline Coupe. It appears to be an NB-type to me. One of my favorite Brit Cars! It is from the mid 30's

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 2:07 pm 

Thats the book. It really helps to define the style of the British cars of that era. I love the Italian cars from the same era as well and that book doesnt really cover any of that, but its still a great addition to book collection.

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 3:40 pm 

Indeed it is a great addition. But having seen a number of those cars in the flesh it definitely takes a "man of average height" (i.e. Sterling Moss something 5'-6) to fit into one.

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 12:58 pm 

Still working on the house. This past weekend I replaced a window that I installed about 25 years ago. While pulling it out I kept thinking that I shouldn't have to do this again then I remembered how long it had been in there.

My Locost activity for last week was buying "Art Deco and British Car Design". My activity for this week will be reading it.

Back at the beginning of this log I said I'd post pictures. I see we got through the last page without any so I'll post one here.
Attachment:
UOP Shadow 1974.jpg
I took this shot at the Glen Grand Prix weekend in 1974. The Can Am series had just expired so the Shadow team decided to have a match race between George Follmer and Jackie Oliver. Since Jean-Pierre Jarier was there to drive the F1 Shadow he was given the backup car to drive. Follmer won easily. The picture is of Jarier pushing his car out of the garage. How many F1 drivers push there own cars now?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 1:18 pm 

I was at the vintage races at Sonoma raceway earlier this year and fell in love with the Shadows. Monsters! Thats so cool that you were there to take pictures. I swear I was born in the wrong generation, but hopefully that just means that when these Can-Am cars come up for sale in 20-30 years I wont have much competition to buy one

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

PostPosted: December 23, 2015, 10:09 am 

Still no work on the new car but I'm getting closer. Getting closer means no more house work, now I'm working on the Mini so at least it is car work. Last spring I pulled the interior out of a Nissan at the local junk yard. The plan was to replace the Mini's interior with something a bit more modern that had high seat backs for better protection in rear collisions. I spend too much time sitting at stop lights here in York and other drivers spend too much time texting so the low back seats need to go. Here is what I got for my $54.
Attachment:
IMG_0641.JPG
You can see in this next picture how low the Mini seats are.
Attachment:
IMG_0642.JPG
They don't look so bad in the picture but they are showing their age plus when I sit in them I can feel the tubing inside the seat back across the middle of my back.

I started with the interior cards for the back seat because they were easy. Using the Mini cards as patterns I cut down the larger Nissan cards. Then I reglued the vinyl to the smaller card.
Attachment:
IMG_0701.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0695.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 23, 2015, 10:19 am 

I never liked the Companion Box next to the rear seat. I serves as a stiffener for the body and a mounting point for the inertia reel seat belt. It also looks ugly and collects junk. I wanted the rear seat to go all of the way across the car, not stopping at the companion box so I decided to cut the box down in size.
Attachment:
IMG_0649.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0648.JPG
I needed to replace the lost stiffness and close off the remaining part of the box so I fabricated a new piece for that. Poster board template first.
Attachment:
IMG_0657.JPG
Then the same past in metal.
Attachment:
IMG_0659.JPG
Lastly, the new part welded in place.
Attachment:
IMG_0679.JPG

PostPosted: December 24, 2015, 7:37 am 
We are Slotus!

Very nice work, Sir! That upholstery/paneling job looks like pro work.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 24, 2015, 12:43 pm 
The voice of reason

Nice picture of the CanAm car, sorry I missed it when you posted it. I was thinking "geez, when was the last time you aw a driver pushing a car", then you said the same thing. :)

Different era. Being a race driver seemed a lot more approachable when you saw the driver pushing them around. :rofl:

PostPosted: December 25, 2015, 1:41 pm 

Run87k wrote:
I never liked the Companion Box next to the rear seat. I serves as a stiffener for the body and a mounting point for the inertia reel seat belt. It also looks ugly and collects junk. I wanted the rear seat to go all of the way across the car, not stopping at the companion box so I decided to cut the box down in size.
Attachment:
IMG_0649.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0648.JPG
I needed to replace the lost stiffness and close off the remaining part of the box so I fabricated a new piece for that. Poster board template first.
Attachment:
IMG_0657.JPG
Then the same past in metal.
Attachment:
IMG_0659.JPG
Lastly, the new part welded in place.
Attachment:
IMG_0679.JPG

I wonder if you could fit a cup holder in there? :wink:

PostPosted: December 27, 2015, 10:17 am 

I found a few pics of a 30s car in resto. I'm not sure of the brand.

PostPosted: December 27, 2015, 11:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Looks a lot like an MG Airline coupe... Except for the grille. Side view is almost a dead ringer. Betcha it's British...

:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 27, 2015, 12:27 pm 

Quote:
Looks a lot like an MG Airline coupe... Except for the grille. Side view is almost a dead ringer. Betcha it's British...
Almost like the Airline coupe except it has rear side windows and the separate 4 hood vents and..... The lower curve of the grill and the front apron look too Art Deco for English IMO. But very close. It may be a 1-off? The recess in the top of the grill for maker's symbol almost looks Aston or Bently. I agree it looks British or at least, European. French? Italian?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next