LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rod's Lola
PostPosted: August 22, 2015, 8:31 pm 

Looks great!

I vote PPG code : 0105 or PPG code : 62900

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 10:26 am 

I am partial to British Racing Green. I think it would make your Lola look very rooted in English heritage, However, it you can pull it off, some silvers look fabulous, showing the curved body like no other colors can do. In the end it is a personal decision. Choose one that appeals to you and not the masses.

P.S. There is no one official shade of BRG so any green qualifies.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 10:56 pm 

Quote:
I am partial to British Racing Green
- Me too! But watch the shading, especially if you add the ever popular yellow racing stripes. They sometimes come out looking like a John Deere tractor! :ack:

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 6:52 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_1560.JPG
Haven't posted in a while. Here are some updates. Overall view. I added about 4 inches to the front wheel arch. The opening was too large for the wheels and tires I am using. The side pipes are from Speedway Motors. The muffler is just behind the front wheel, inside the panel. Windshield is an early Corvette. 58-62.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 6:54 pm 

Some other views.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 6:55 pm 

The front nose is widened about six inches. I am just about ready to bond the two halves.
The windshield is an early model Corvette 58-62.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:09 pm 

Some closer shots. The muffler is located just behind the front tire, behind the panel. Door panel is aluminum. Opening between door and rear fender serves as air intake. Grill material will be added.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:16 pm 

More detail.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:19 pm 

Moving on to rear of car. I decided to add a wing, mainly to break up the large expanse of deck lid.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:22 pm 

More general shots.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 7:24 pm 

Gap between nose halves is about six inches. I'm almost ready to bond the two.

PostPosted: June 24, 2017, 10:32 pm 
Toyotaphobe

"Can I have some more, please" said in a British accent.

More details on the windshield such as width, height and what you used for a frame. Also was it super expensive?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 25, 2017, 8:22 am 

The windshield was not super expensive. It was about $180. The good thing,it was ordered thru my local automotive glass company and delivered to them, so there was no shipping fee. A Corvette windshield frame of that era is very expensive, maybe something like $1500, so I made my own frame. I started with a 1x1 angle. I cut slots in one leg so I could bend it easily at the sides. I don't have a tool which will bend an angle without deforming, so I had to do it by hand. Anyway, after getting the angle bent to the correct shape, I took a
1 inch wide flat steel piece and tacked it to the angle, forming a channel. I just used mild steel since I can't weld other materials. It worked out pretty good. I still have some finishing to do on the frame. The windshield measures 53 inches across tip to tip and about 16 inches high. The height can vary depending on how you tilt the glass. I actually tilted mine back a little to give a slightly more raked look. You must determine the tilt before you start because the lower frame, the part that sits on the scuttle will change. My lower frame is actually welded to the scuttle. It's really just a channel which I welded up. I'll try to post more photos a little later. I had thought about trying to use a mid 50s Ford windshield, what they called a wrap-around, 55-57years and then I found that the Corvette glass was not any more expensive and was a good fit. Not perfect not bad. One word of advise, be very very careful with these windshields. After being so careful with mine for a pretty good length of time, I finally cracked it. I'll have to order another shortly.

PostPosted: June 25, 2017, 2:24 pm 

Awesome work on the windscreen. I have been thinking about how to do the exact same thing, and worrying about how I would build channels. You worked it out and it looks great!

Thanks for the inspiration!

PostPosted: June 25, 2017, 7:10 pm 

One thing I didn't explain about the windshield frame. After cutting small slots in one leg of the angle, I then bent it to the required curve to match the windshield. I just bent it a little bit at a time. After the shape was correct, I then tack welded the slots. Tack welding the slots makes the angle much more rigid and it will hold it's shape very well. Alternate the slot welding so as not to create too much heat. After the slots are welded. you can use a side grinder to clean up the welds. Then weld on the flat bar, completing the channel. I used a rubber channel gasket which I obtained from a company in Minneapolis. Can't remember their name at the moment. I'll try to get their name later. Anyway, this rubber channel fits pretty snugly in the frame. making a pretty neat installation.