LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 10:03 am 

PS: I like Minions too! Yuup "me too" :D :D :D
I think we may have some body paint competion brewing, for Sponge Bob. :wink:
Dave W

PostPosted: March 8, 2017, 10:57 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sometimes I feel like I'm just writing for myself. Good to know someone is out there reading this.

I have been doing more work. I wired in the turn signal controller (a Signal Stat 900) and gave them a try. Ha! No such luck. I had power, I had lights but everything in between seemed to not make any sense. If I shorted out the flasher unit, the lights should light up, just not flash. But no luck. So I did the only thing I could think of. That is take the entire switch assembly apart. I found a lot of old dried up grease. That all got cleaned up and re-greased and put back together. Now it should work. Still nothing. So it tried the old shorting of the flasher unit. This time I got lights to light. Sooooooo, I tore the can off from the flasher and found a bunch of rusted pieces-parts along with some very fried wires. Off to Autozone for a flasher. They have so many styles, Which one???? The original one had 3 terminals: B+, Load and indicator lamp. I chose one that looked right and took it home. I hooked it up and still nothing. I figured it had been a bad returned unit and I was screwed again. I looked up on the ol' interweb and found the manufacturer's wiring diagram for the new flasher. Everything I thought was wrong. The three terminals are now B+, load, and ground. And were all in different locations! Once I got that straightened out, I tried it again. SUCCESS!!!!

Now according to the original wiring diagram I have, it shows a different turn switch assembly than the one I have. The one I have has many more wires. The diagram shows there were originally 3 lights in the rear. One dual filament running/Brake light and 2 single filament turn signal lights. Remember this was originally registered as a motorcycle so lighting is not like a car. But I put on 2 trailer lights, each has a dual filament. One running light and a combined brake/turn signal . As such, there are 4 wires going to the rear for running light , brake light, left and right turn lamps. I figured that I would have to use one of the trailer adapter devices to combine the brake/turn filaments. Strangely enough the Signal Stat 900 does all that work itself, almost like it was made for me. It combines the turn and brake functions into one. So the wire in the harness for the brake light does not need to be used. SURPRISE!

Currently the brake lights and turn signals are working great. The only issue is that the indicator bulb in the switch assembly isn't functioning due to the new flasher. But I have a solution for that!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 9, 2017, 10:15 pm 

On to the fuel tank.

The tank was cleaned and painted on the outside. After removing all the mouse bedding stuff brought in by some long-ago resident, I used a piece of chain and rattled it around the inside to brake free some rust. I then used the remainder of my RedKote to seal the inside. I checked the fuel level sender and it seemed good. I removed the screen sock on the end of the pickup tube, cleaned the old varnish and crud off of it so fuel would pass and reassembled it. New gaskets were made. I then went on to mounting the tank under the rear deck. I bought new low pressure 5/16” fuel line, I needed almost 3 ft and autozone had exactly 35 inches left on their spool. Everything was going fine. I added about 2 gallons to the tank and turned the key. The beast runs again. But……. there is always a “but” on this project, but the fuel gauge doesn’t reqister anything. It should have registered something after putting in a gallon or 2. After checking this and verifying that. I determined that the gauge itself was defective. So I disassembled it by gently prying off the bezel and there I saw the burnt windings. This was not going to be fixed. I previously measured the resistance range of the sender and determined that it is a 240-33 ohm system. It is common in some older vehicles and many boats. After some searching I found a Bosch gauge on Amazon that looks similar to the original SW gauge for about $16 delivered (with Prime). Less than 24 hours later it showed up on my doorstep. An hour or more later (it is in a very tight corner of the dash that requires a contortionist to assemble) I turned on the ignition. Voilla! The gauge registered ~ ¼ full. I think the tank holds 6 gallons. So far- so good!

Next up (maybe) is connecting the speedometer up. Wish me luck.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 10, 2017, 8:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
After removing all the mouse bedding stuff brought in by some long-ago resident
We need pictures!

Quote:
So I disassembled it by gently prying off the bezel and there I saw the burnt windings.
We need pictures!

Quote:
The beast runs again.
WE NEED VIDEO!

Quote:
(it is in a very tight corner of the dash that requires a contortionist to assemble)
WE NEED VIDEO! and a chiropractor... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 10, 2017, 1:08 pm 

OK JD. I know the drill. No pics or it never happened. This is a tough crowd. Maybe some of us can't read and only look at the pictures. For those of you, here is a start.

Sorry I have no pictures of the mouse house. You'll have to take my word that it was there.

As for the gauge repair,

The bezel had to be gently pried from the case. A little bit at a time and all the way around. it is thin metal and could be reformed if I could have gotten the gauge back operational. When opened, I found several things. First the windings were severly burnt. 2nd, one wire had been shorted to the case near a terminal (not in view). 3rd, the same lead had overheated and burned opened beneath the highlighted area. Simply, it was not economical to have repaired. This is not a rare Lamborghini or Pierce Arrow where originality is all important. Otherwise I would have reverse engineered the windings, sourced the resistance wire and rewound them myself. But in this case, I opted for a $16 functional replacement. The new gauge fits right in despite the red "BOSCH" name. Well have to see how long it works.

As for the contortionist video, I didn't have a third or fourth hand to hold the camera at the time. There are access openings in the front panel for servicing wiring and adding brake fluid. For a sense of scale, the headlight is a 5-1/4" motorcycle bulb. I can just fit my forearm in the narrow opening. And when 1 arm is in there, the other arm cannot reach around the cab to hold the gauge in place. :BH: The gauge in question is tucked up in the corner, behind the horn and on the far side of the ammeter. The gauge body is a std 2" dia. Getting the mounting nuts started requires resting the nut on the tip of my finger nd hope it doesn't fall off while reaching my hand in. then try to rotate it a few degrees so that the thread barely catches. Otherwise the nut just falls out the bottom and we start over.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rx7locost on December 7, 2020, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10, 2017, 9:28 pm 

Since we all like pictures. Here are some of the Signal Stat 900 during the cleanup. On a 2nd note, my idea of getting g the indicators working worked. Instead of getting a signal from the old flasher, It now has a pair of diodes added internally soldered to the wires that also went to the front lights. Then the common point feed the indicator light. Simple and elegant. These photos are from before the diode modification.

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900 5.JPG

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900 4.JPG

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900 3.JPG

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900 2.JPG

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900 1.JPG

Attachment:
Signal Stat 900.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 9, 2018, 11:21 am 

Tomorrow it will be 1 yr from my last post. Not much more has happened, sadly. I've driven it a few times around the neighborhood just to keep the battery charged and the fluids, well, fluid. I did find that the M/C cap leaked as the vent didn't have the internal splash shield. Every time I pressed on the brake pedal, a bit of fluid shot out the top. With a lot of research, I found a replacement cap made for trailer surge brakes, Titan Models 10 and 20. All is well in that dept now.

I have decided to rebuild the pickup style bed. It was very rusted. Seams were busting apart from the rust. SO Late last Fall, I pulled it out from under my deck and moved it to the garage. I got out my trusty spot weld drill. You know, the one that ate my thumb? Removed the floor from the bed frame, and the 2 sides and front panel. So far, I have replaced the lower 2" of steel on the 2 side panels. I've sanded off the paint and have them primed. Now on to de-rusting the frame. Since the frame will not fit in my blasting cabinet, this week I set up my 20 yr old 6' x 8' sandblast-room in the garage. I originally made it for blasting my MGA frame back when. Somewhere along the years the conduit support poles have been re-assigned. So I had to buy a few more and cut hem to length.

I will be using a bucket of sand. I made a new pickup tube for the bucket. That was done yesterday. Now I have to buy a longer hose for my gun. I hope to be blasting sometime later today.

We really do need to create a "Hold my beer. Watch this" or "Don't let this happen to you" thread. This time, in the cleaning up of the side panels, I let the wire wheel get the better of me. The wire brush caught and walked right across the back of my left hand. Yes, the same hand that the spotweld drill got a couple of years back. Ahhh the hazards of this hobby of ours.

Pics to follow.

PostPosted: March 9, 2018, 12:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The wire brush caught and walked right across the back of my left hand. Yes, the same hand that the spotweld drill got a couple of years back. Ahhh the hazards of this hobby of ours.
OUCH! Hope it's not as bad as it sounds... I was at the dermatologist office yesterday. He looked at a big ol' scraped knuckle and asked, "How did you do this?" I said, "I play with cars." He didn't get it. Yeah, this hobby of ours... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 9, 2018, 1:10 pm 

JD, it could have been a lot worse. I think there will be a permanent reminder.

On the other hand (pun intended) I think you need to find a new dermatologist. One who "gets it". :cheers:

PostPosted: March 9, 2018, 1:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
JD, it could have been a lot worse. I think there will be a permanent reminder.
Yeah, but the chicks dig scars... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 3:07 am 

Close call, very lucky.
I concur, set up a thread. Call it close calls, near misses, direct hits, hey watch this, whatever.
I am a firm believer that posting near miss incidents are not in any way detrimental or finger pointing. It is educational, and promotes awareness of the hazards that we builders deal with.
Kudos

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 6:50 pm 

JD, mine does! :roll:

Perry, I may just create that link. I wonder if our webmaster Dave can still create a stickey?

I promised pictures. I am ashamed to show the workshop. It is a mess. I still have a couple of fenders to clean up and maybe the original battery box. But...... here are the major parts of the bed, de-rusted and in primer. The bed floor is shot. It will be repaced with wood planks.

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 9:16 am 

Chuck
"The bed floor is shot. It will be replaced with wood planks."
We need lots of picture of that finished bed! I love old restored pick beds. Are you buying a kit or making the planks?
DaveW

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 12:57 pm 
We are Slotus!

davew wrote:
Are you buying a kit or making the planks?
In true Locost, Do-It-Yourself style, Chuck planted an acorn yesterday and is patiently waiting to make his own planks... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 1:11 pm 

Dave, I love those old pickup beds too.

The Cushman bed floor size is only 35" x 46". I haven't decided yet exactly how I'll do it. I think that using a pickup "kit" would be way too much material leaving a lot of scrap. And some of those "kits" could cost more than the Cushman itself! If I made my own planks and just purchased the stainless steel strips, I think those metal strips would end up being out of scale to the bed itself, IMO.

I'm actually leaning towards getting some prefinished hardwood flooring from the local Home Depot or Menards. Oak would be the easy no-brainer. I put in one floor with, and really like golden hickory. But currently I'm leaning to a dark bamboo. see photo below.

Securing it to the bed frame will be a challenge. I'm thinking of edge gluing the boards together to make one piece and then using concrete block adhesive (waterproof construction adhesive) to secure it to the frame and along the sides. I think any actual fasteners from the top would be out of the question.

This won't be used for hauling. The Cushman is too small and too slow for being a real, effective hauler.

I'll have lots of time before I have to make a decision and probably change my mind several times along the way. :lol:

JD, While I like your plan and I truly adopt the Locost (cheap) philosophy, I don't have enough years left in me to grow a tree. I do have plenty of acorns though. Some, the squirrels haven't eaten thoroughly yet. If I send them to you, would you plant a few trees for me? Just send me a self-addressed USPS flat rate box with postage. Maybe I could plant that tree here and simply leave the finishing instructions to my grandkids in my will.

Glad to have both you guys post here. :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next