LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: July 1, 2018, 9:52 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
The bed cap is now bolted in its final place. The tailgate logo is now painted. And I'm working on a rear bumper.
You know how that goes in here... "Pictures or it didn't happen!" :mrgreen:

Quote:
I will post pics when closer to being done.
What? And leave us just hangin', all breathless with anticipation? (Or is that constipation? Fornication? Never mind...) :rofl:

Well JD,...... Since you asked so politely, here you go!

The painted lettering looks a lot better in the pictures than it does up close. It'll do. This isn't a show car (bike?) (trike?)

There is still final welding, sandblasting and finsh work left to be done. The basics are there. It took a lot of head (and other) scratchin' to get this far. I stiil need to determine the method to attach the bumper to the br@ckets. I don't want to weld them. I'm afraid the assembly might be a bit of a problem fitting the br@ckets and bumper as an assembly to the bed. The obstructions and clearances are a bit complex as you can see by the spacers (washers) added and sections of the angle iron ground away. To attach the bumper to the br@ckets, I'm leaning on adding a flat to the end of the br@ckets and using a single carriage bolt on each side thru the face of the bumper. Alternatively, just bolting thru the top and bottom of the bumper on both sides. Any suggestions?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 2, 2018, 6:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Nice pictures, Chuck! Paint job on the tailgate looks good from my house... :mrgreen:

I think top-n-bottom bolts thru the bumper would work nicely. Or one long vertical bolt on either side... Maybe?

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 2, 2018, 5:45 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I'd put one 1/2" carriage bolt through the face on each side after boxing the bracket. Easy to make square holes with a triangle file.

It would be nice to add a brace off the bottom of the bracket to the frame rail through the fender, but you are probably not going to reverse into a stump or anything.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 7:38 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. Both are valid, I couldn't decide which was the better route to take myself, that's why I asked. Fate intervened, or just plain ADD took over. I'm not sure which. As I finished up welding the brackets and got things cleaned up, before I got to read those wonderful ideas, I got carried away and painted them. No end plate was added. So I guess JD's idea is the de facto plan. I've got some really nice truss head bolts that I will use in the 4 places. It'll look sweet.

MV8, the method that I chose for the bracket design was based on how the factory mounted them, up into the stake pockets from the bottom. No additional triangulation was originally used. So that is how I built my brackets. As you say, it is more of an aesthetic finishing touch to the back end of the Truckster than a functional device. I think they were optional at the time. I'm not really sure. Mine didn't come to me with a bumper.

Today, I got the brackets in their final position, and drilled the bumper mounting holes. then gave it a once-over with bondo to fill the rust pockets. Tomorrow, a bit of sanding, another prime coat and a finish coat is planned. We will see how that goes.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 8:35 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
So I guess JD's idea is the de facto plan.
A small victory, but a victory none the less! How sweeeeettt it is!!! :mrgreen:
Sorry, MV8, better luck next time... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 4:42 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

We can't all be lion tamers. :)

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 5, 2018, 7:24 pm 

Hey guys. A Bartles and Jaymes ones said, "Thank you for your support"

I finished up the bumper. It is now in its final resting place. It turned out pretty good. Even if I do say so myself. Not too bad for left over, recycled bumper from the broken down camper trailer, turned Locost hauler.

I also sourced a glove box from the guys on Facebook group. It had some popped spot welds, When I went to reweld it, the entiore end broke free. Had to reweld in about 11 places. It is cleaning up nicely.

I found the heater outlets which I thought it didn't have. Those have been blasted and painted. Now I need to source some 2" defroster hose.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 12:47 pm 

All good things must come to an end. This Truckster is now up for sale on Facebook marketplace for $2500 as she sits. I will blast/paint the wheels and add new tires.

It filled my long-held desire for one of these little gems. I want a clean slate (and garage space :D ) to start the MGB-GT project.

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 9:26 am 

Change of plans. I have decided to take this all the way to the end. That means new tires, repair some rust on the cab and paint. The tires and wheels are finished. The cab has been partially disassembled and the rust taken care of. Running boards are repainted as well as the front fender. Now on to prepping the cab for paint.

PostPosted: October 11, 2018, 7:23 am 

Sadly, no further work has been done on this in over 6 weeks. 2 MGB GT's have taken priority. Hopefully in about a week or so, one of the GT's will be off to the scrapper. I've taken about everything I can use off of it. Then I'm back on this project.

PostPosted: October 28, 2018, 8:08 pm 

The GT parts car has left for it's final resting place after giving up some parts. And the added storage loft has been erected. This has given me the room to do some painting on the Cushman this last week. The cab, the scuttle/dash(?) and seat cabinet are painted and I'm in the process of putting things together again. Today I finished up reinstalling the scuttle, gauges, and the wiring. I got brave and gingerly reconnected the battery. No smoke! Turned on the ignition. Again no smoke. Checked out that all systems were working lights high and low beams, turn signals, low oil pressure light gauge lights and fuel pump. Then I engaged the starter and the darned thing came back to life after a long sleep. :yay:

And gas poured on the floor as the float stuck! :BH:

A few raps on the carb with a soft mallet fixed that. :mrgreen:

Up next this week is the re-assembly of the cab and installation of the rear window.

I'll have to have a windshield made. Maybe in a week.

It feels good to be getting back to work on this again.

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 10:50 am 

Today's Update:

All the planned work in the last post is now complete. The cab is reassembled. The rear window is in. Bubble gum light and wiper motor are installed and wired. I found out that the brake lights didn't work. Turns out that the pressure switch is only good for 43 years. Sometime between when I tore things apart and put back together, the brake switch had died. I sourced another and now EVERYTHING WORKS! :headbang:

I searched online for the right Cushman windshield and could not find one, either new or used. This one is flat glass so I went to the local glass shop to have one made. I gave them the pattern for the windshield and got quoted a whopping $67 for laminated AS1 glass, cut and sealed and marked. It should be ready to be picked up in a week. This will be the last thing to do on the punch list. I was talking to the guy in their back shop. He said they make all the tempered glass windows for a local hot rod shop. I asked him if he ever tried to cut a curved windshield down to a smaller size. He said no and thought it would be pretty tough.

On another note, last night we got, and am still getting, our first measurable snow. Maybe 2 inches on the grass. The roads are still warm and the snow just melts.

That's it for today.

PostPosted: November 18, 2018, 9:03 am 

Chuck
We are all waiting for the finished project photo shoot. :D :shock: :lol: :lol: :P
Hopefully there is not any more issues other then your " what free time ".
DaveW

PostPosted: November 18, 2018, 9:57 am 

Dave, well,,,,,,

When I dropped off the pattern for the windshield, they said it would be done last Friday, I said that I would pick it up on Saturday. Yesterday, I braved the snow and went to pick it up. I got to the front door and it said the hours were Mon-Fri 9:00-5:00. No Saturday hours! Nobody was there and the door was locked!

I'll have to wait for the snow to leave (It should. It is still early in the season) before I can take some beauty shots. Somehow a white and black Truckster with a white foreground and background doesn't sound very photogenic. I'm not shooting Kodak Tri-X film anymore. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your interest. :cheers:

And reminding me of yesterday's screwup! :BH:

PostPosted: November 19, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Ah... 'Try-X'... I remember you well...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next