LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 7:29 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Loctite PS30 polyurethane. Very good seam sealer and mastic for setting glass or whatever. There is a white version also (PS40).

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 1:53 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Loctite PS30 polyurethane. Very good seam sealer and mastic for setting glass or whatever. There is a white version also (PS40).

I can't find that. Are you talking about PL-S30?

Before I saw your reply, I had already done the deed using Loctite's Poylseamseal (clear) all purpose adhesive caulk. 3 of the 4 cross bracing is slightly lower than the sides. I cut a few shims about 3/4 inch square and placed them on the sufrace under where the boards T&G meet, supporting both pieces. Then put a generous amount along the perimeter and cross bracing. I placed a couple of bags of pea gravel and 2-5gal gas cans on the boards to seat the floor. ~20 hrs later, It is not quite fully cured yet. I have high hopes.

I ended up with about 3/8" gap between the boards and the bed along the 2 sides. I filled it with 1/2" dia foam gap filler and caulked over it.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 9:08 pm 

The bed floor is complete (except for a latch for the battery access door) Time to place the cover on the bed. Things did not end up too well. There are about 6 or 8 screws that are supposed to secure the cover to the bed, Unfortunately, none of them line up. This is the first time I've even tried. I got this thing in pieces and assumed that everything would just fit. . OOPS! My bad! :BH: And I am certain that it has nothing to do with me ripping the bed apart and rewelding it together. I guess I'll need to make some "corrections". In the mean time, here is the cover "resting" on the bed.

Russ, here is how it is supposed to look. Chopping the top would look wrong I think.

I must have something wrong. I can't figure out how the chain is supposed to hook to hold the tailgate flat.
Attachment:
1-4 view.JPG
Attachment:
3-4 view.JPG
Attachment:
rear.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 15, 2018, 8:43 am 

Remove the chain hooks from both the box loops and tailgate loops, then hook the chains to the tailgate chain loops. The chains need to be long enough so that the tailgate is open horizontal when this is done. I had a 63 Chev stepside truck with tailgate chains. It also had soft rubber hose over the chains to keep them from rattling and making noise.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 15, 2018, 10:08 pm 

Thanks Perry. When I do that, because the end of the hook is so long, it would try to punch its way into the tailgate as the tailgate is lowered. What I have found, with some searching, scratching and experimenting, is that the hook needs to be bent about 45 degrees. It looks really odd when comparing to what I remember from other applications many years back. It appears to be a Cushman specific problem/solution.

Pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 2:13 am 

Hey Chuck, you've reached the point in the build where you need to 'tweek' things. That's good. Better that twerking.

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 4:40 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
Hey Chuck, you've reached the point in the build where you need to 'tweek' things. That's good. Better that twerking.
Chuck, I don't have a clue what you look like, but I'm 100% sure I agree with Perry on the "twerking" thing... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 9:18 am 

Even back in the day, I couldn't twerk. That is, if there was "twerking back then". This is the best I could ever do:

https://youtu.be/IcemYjTdvZ8?t=65

P.S. Sorry about the advertisement

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 4:27 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

rx7locost wrote:
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:

I can't find that. Are you talking about PL-S30?

Yep. Good stuff.

Widening the fenders on the go4 to clear the new tires and wheels. There are some etrailer fenders that are close to fitting but they are a bit too long at the top. Reinforced a raised deck to take a 5000 lb hot tub today. High enough to walk around under so not too bad but who wants to spend half their saturday under somebody elses deck? Dog poo everywhere. :ack:

LxWxHt

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 5:57 pm 

Perry, The hook had to have a flat and a twist in order to not scratch the outside of the tailgate when lowered flat. These hooks were bent in various different directions when I got the Truckster. they did not even match each other. I just straightened them out with a noce gradual curve like I had seen on other tailgate chains. I guess that was the wrong thing to do. All's well now.

PostPosted: June 16, 2018, 6:02 pm 

MV8. Been there done that. Had to install 8 footings on my deck some years back. The builder just placed the deck posts on a patio stone resting on the ground. I had only about 4 ft clearance under the deck to dig a 40" deep hole. I had to cut down the post hole digger handles to clear the underside of the deck. I feel your pain (still) :cheers:

Glad to hear progress is being made on your go4. keep us updated please. Someone else started a go4 project here recently.

PostPosted: June 19, 2018, 7:30 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I will update the go4 topic once at least one fender is somewhat presentable. Gas welding them together. Considered buying a tig until I saw the price and the gas is working well enough. Using my smallest tip and .050", the warpage is not too bad plus I can hammer weld the area afterwards if I get that motivated. My motor drive on my oldest mig stopped today also. Hopefully a connection since I hear the relay engaging but something else to do. I should probably just switch over to my new eastwood mig I bought last year and have not touched since I need to build a cart as it has no wheels. Probably a two wheel axle on the back with a finger support on the front so it doesn't roll unless I lift up the front.

I also cut and shut the aluminum sliding box to make room for my carb setup as well as room for swapping for a progressive weber later. Also need to drill the swingarm to move the hub brackets forward an inch to center the wheels in the fenders. Found they mounted the drivetrain leaning forward from vertical which I may address at some point.

Also found a bald faced hornet nest in some brush in the backyard yesterday. It is about the size of a soccer ball. I took care of it with a couple sections of pvc tube spliced together and a shop vac hose slipped over the end. Shop vac had soapy water. I just the put the end within a inch or two of the opening in the nest and let it run for an hour or so before walking up and spraying at dusk of course. Worked great. I couldn't get near it in the brush with all the briars growing through it and around it.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: June 20, 2018, 2:10 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Perry, The hook had to have a flat and a twist in order to not scratch the outside of the tailgate when lowered flat.

Glad you figured that out. I can't recollect what my stepside Chevy had back in the 70's. Too many burned out brain cells I'm afraid.

PostPosted: June 29, 2018, 1:42 pm 

The bed cap is now bolted in its final place. The tailgate logo is now painted. And I'm working on a rear bumper. It is made from the camper/Locost trailer bumper that I kept for just such a reason. I found a Cushman group on Facebook that is more active than the Yahoo group. I had someone post a pic of how the bumper is supposed to be mounted. I am in the middle of fabricating it now. I will post pics when closer to being done.

PostPosted: June 29, 2018, 6:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The bed cap is now bolted in its final place. The tailgate logo is now painted. And I'm working on a rear bumper.
You know how that goes in here... "Pictures or it didn't happen!" :mrgreen:

Quote:
I will post pics when closer to being done.
What? And leave us just hangin', all breathless with anticipation? (Or is that constipation? Fornication? Never mind...) :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next