LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 3:03 pm 
Always Moore!

mgkluft wrote:
Another little home made tool, that I just made today.
In order to grind, and learn how to, HSS lathe tool bits, I need a proper grinder tool rest.

That is pretty slick. I need to do something similar for HSS bits.

PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 11:20 pm 

Lonnie,
you're a true builder and engineer. Not much gets past you.
You are quite correct. The rod ends do create a natural hinge point, and it is something that is frowned upon in the sidecar world. However, as you noted, it is only partially done, and the reason for setting it up that way, is to establish the vertical (not quite true; they are more on a 45*) links. Those will also utilize rod ends as well, and will allow for a lot of adjustment. The triangulation will compensate for the lack of a ridgid connection. Because I want to have a lot of adjustment, it was just easier to add more links and rod ends, than consider a rigid connector. There are three distinct adjustments for a sidecar, wheel lead, which is the fore and aft of the sidecar; lean, which is the angular tilt between the bike and the sidecar (kind of like camber), and toe, which is between the sidecar and the bike. Once you take all those into consideration, I think that you need the rod ends to take up all the angular differences, and create the rigidity, by adding more triangulation. Something we Locosters are all very familiar with. As always, I'm the first to admit that it is all experimental, and I may have to get back to the drawing board.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: May 8, 2017, 11:40 am 

It sounds like you've thought this through, and have a program, Martin. I'm sure it will be terrific in the end.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 8, 2017, 11:57 am 

t knowing a thing about side cars. But understanding what you're saying about the connections. I was just wondering if by using a coil over shock (or similar) between. If you couldn't get a little give between the two. Instead of a solid & ridged connection?

PostPosted: May 8, 2017, 12:28 pm 

Mike,
there are really only two options for a sidecar; solid or completely free, also called a leaner. Once the sidecar is solid, the whole steering geometry becomes like a car; in a leaner application, the bike steers and rides like a solo. Anything in between would be a muddle, and probably very difficult to handle.
For an off-road application, rigid is best. Higher ground clearance and a soft suspension, no different from a solo bike. The suspension can be helped with a sway bar, linking the rear swing arm to the sidecar swing arm. For a road rig, a leaner is an option, and one that I just may have to do for my next build; just because it is so unique. :roll:
http://www.kalich.de/index.html
(the link is German, but Kalich is a leader in that field, and has a few good videos)

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: December 2, 2017, 8:22 pm 

Well, I'm still at it. Maybe not with quite the intensity of the 7, but I'm picking away at it. The sidecar connections are all done, and I have borrowed heavily from the 7 construction. So all the links are rod ends, and fully adjustable.
Modifying the bike has also taken up a fair bit of fiddling. Little projects, like new foot peg and pedal arrangements, become not so little projects. But then this isn't my first rodeo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video: