LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 23, 2017, 8:29 am 

In last years Speed car we had our shifter beside the driver and even though it was a sequential bike motor the shifter was still a pain but maybe it was just located to far back. Horizon, I'be already been reading up on suspensions and I still have no idea what those mean. Yikes. And TRX I want to keep the motor in a longitude orientation just for sake of headers/ possibility of turbo placement and being able to pull the motor independantly of the transmission and transaxle. I actually dont have a terrible problem with wheelbase as of now, im at 97L X 63W which is somewheres in the 1.6 ratio range.

PostPosted: January 23, 2017, 2:33 pm 

Parrottrj wrote:
Im going to start out with a 4l80E just for simplicity and costs sake, but then hopefully convert to a manual option. Have you tried to use paddles are do you still have a stick shift because a stick would be weird placement in a 1 seater.

I agree this being a 1 seater reverse would not be a problem as of right now its only at around 1100lbs wet with brakes, wheels, tires, engine, chassis. I know all of the small stuff adds up though so I'm aiming for 1500-1700. Is the manual so long compared to the auto that you have to move the engine/ the axles have to much of an angle in them when you swap over?

I was planning on my own suspension as well because I am the Suspension captain for next year at my university and will be designing it along with the FSAE car. I was going to use factory suspension like a miata until I realized I was going to have incredibly different corner weights and that the suspension wouldn't be ideal.

I would argue the manual is both cheaper and less complex, but this is largely based on what assumptions you are using. When I say cheaper, I mean the automatic requires a cooler, lots of fluid; it's a Corvette piece so you pay Corvette tax; and the automatic is going to fail in a relatively short time frame. The first thing to go is the 3-4 clutch band. If you want the automatic to live, you have to pull it apart and upgrade the weak points. An old school Muncie transmission can be had for pretty cheap. You will have to buy the Autogear case for another $300 or so. The manual combination is actually about 3" shorter than the automatic. A Muncie without a tail housing is pretty short.

I am using cables to shift mine; I never made it around to trying paddles. The reality is that I don't shift much on track. With cables, you can mount the shifter wherever you want.

Ken

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 10:40 am 

Oh I was under the impression that a normal 4l80/4l60 bolted to the corvette transaxle? Are you saying thats not the case (pun intended). I thought that I would be able to use just a 6L truck motor with its stock 4l80 and bolt it to the corvette transaxle but if you're saying I have to buy a corvette one I can see how the manual may be worth it. The other problem I would start to run into then is with three pedals I would have a very close pedal box which is already very set as my pedal box is where my suspension pick up points are for the front wheels.
Thanks for the input, I guess i'll look more into mating a muncie to the corvette and shorten my rear end by a few inches

PostPosted: May 14, 2017, 10:19 pm 

Parrottrj wrote:
Wow its been a long time since I've commented on this and the design has change many times. The team leader of our FSAE car has convinced me to make my own custom suspension, which I have finished version one of the front suspension control arms, and started the rear control arms. I'm still lacking many dimensions of the driveline, such as definitive flywheel to drive flange dimensions, and transaxle width. The car now looks much better than the first versions and is much more triangulated (pardon the no rear tubes). Stinger, My dad and I just started racing at devils bowl this year in the enduro class, he actually won the last race of the year in the black sentra. This is the car's design at this point-

What tool are you using to draw your 3d models?

I've been trying OnShape and SketchUp.

PostPosted: June 7, 2017, 10:27 pm 

rumbles wrote:
What tool are you using to draw your 3d models?

I've been trying OnShape and SketchUp.

I am using Solidworks. I don't know how to use any other form of CAD programming. The car has been updated but I don't have solidworks on this computer so I cant upload any screenshots. I have changed the front end to be essentially a FSAE car by the rules. The only thing I've changed from FSAE frame conforming rules is that I have extended the front to get my "laid down" seating position. The rear half of the car will be designed to fit tightly around the motor.