LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Locost Junior
PostPosted: May 5, 2017, 8:12 pm 
Always Moore!

That is slick. Great work.

What is your plan for the fiberglass parts?

PostPosted: May 5, 2017, 11:02 pm 

a.moore wrote:
What is your plan for the fiberglass parts?

Fiberglass. The nose cone is first on my list after the Maker Faire. I've made quite a few fiberglass cowls for large-scale RC planes in the past, and this will be similar, if larger, around 12" high and wide. After that I'll sheet the scuttle and then I can form the hood. I'll make the body out of easy-to-bend 1/32" aluminum. Small fenders are available for scooters. golf carts, and the like, I just have to find the right fit.

I don't think I'll have quite as much work to do for next year's Maker Faire, really just the body and interior, which will pretty much duplicate the interior on my Locost, aluminum with wood veneer and a bench-type seat. I'd like to finish everything up during the winter, which will give me all spring to take everything apart, paint it, and wait for the paint to dry.

PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 5:50 am 

I love your steering system. Looks like it's geared really fast, though...

PostPosted: May 7, 2017, 12:33 am 

No doubt. Many design decisions were guesswork. I took a more or less prototype approach to the whole thing, and would do lots of things differently next time. The steering gears are easy to change, at least. The steering is very sloppy right now, not because of the chain, but the shafts are keyed, not splined, and some of the keyways have too much play.

First test drive tomorrow. I was hoping the brake switch connector on the motor controller would act to slow the motor and the car, but all it does is kill power to the throttle. And presumably send power to the brake light connector, but I won't know for sure until I install brake lights. In any case the first drive tomorrow will be sans brakes, but in a controlled area with plenty of runoff. My test driver says she's up for it. Meanwhile I have all the parts on order for a rear hydraulic disc brake setup, which of course I'll be able to install in the few spare hours I have left before the Maker Faire.

PostPosted: May 17, 2017, 10:01 am 

Here's a vehicle you may find interesting , Nick.

Baby 7 ==> http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php? ... s-For-Sale

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 17, 2017, 4:15 pm 

Pretty cool, Lonnie. I hope mine turns out as nice. I should've gone with the same scale, 5/8, instead of half. Next time.

Road tested it last week (actually parking lot tested) and was amazed by how fast it was. I didn't drive (half scale) but the 5'6" test driver fit perfectly and appeared to have a blast. Only 1.2 HP, but obviously way more torque, probably what you'd get from a 3-to-4 HP gas motor. No top-speed runs (no brakes), but easily hit 15 mph during one part-throttle run.

As usual I way over-built the thing, but found I could still lift it off the build table and onto the ground fully-assembled, wheels, tires, batteries, and all, so I doubt it weighs over 100 lbs. And the driver's only 120. The batteries aren't huge (10 ah), and the motor is downright tiny, so it came out lighter than I expected.

The Maker Faire is this week, and I hope to get the brakes installed tomorrow. They're standard MCP single-caliper kart brakes, I welded on brackets for both the master cylinder and caliper, just need to fit the plastic lines and bleed them.

PostPosted: May 26, 2017, 4:51 pm 

I got enough done on the little Locost to drive it at the Maker Faire. Brakes were a last minute item, not yet installed and completely untested, but they went in Saturday morning and worked right out of the box. Bleeding was easy thanks to clear plastic brake lines. Lots of electric-powered vehicles at the Faire so the little Locost didn't really stand out, but maybe next year when it has the full body on it. Sometime next month I'll start on the nose cone.
Attachment:
jlatmakerfaire.jpg

Attachment:
jl.jpg

Attachment:
jlwithcupcake.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 12:13 pm 

Your "junior" is looking good. I was hoping to get over to the Makers Faire this year but couldn't make it.

There's a similar midget 7 for sale currently on Bring-a-Trailer.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2012-beauchamp-7-58th-scale-lotus-7-series-2-replica/

Cheers,
Roy