LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locost Junior
PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 5:31 pm 

For the past couple of years I've been taking my Locost to the Bay Area Maker Faire in an attempt to inspire the thousands of visitors there to build a car of their own. It's a static display because the Maker Faire people don't let us drive cars around the fairgrounds. They do, however, let other vehicles loose, everything from fire-breathing dragons to giant cupcakes, so long as they look cool and aren't too fast.

So I've started building a half-scale Locost. It's going to look exactly like my full-scale Locost, right down to the wood dash, BRG paint, and yellow stripe. It'll use a scaled-down book frame, although since it has to accommodate a full-scale driver, it'll be a little taller and seat only one medium-sized adult. It likely won't fit me, but it'll fit Kaitlyn so she'll do all the test driving.

The engineering should be pretty simple, mostly go-kart technology, with pushrod steering and a single disc brake on the rear axle. It'll incorporate the standard Locost suspension, but with spring rates high enough to keep the suspension from moving very much. The drivetrain will be something of an experiment, a 900-watt DC motor bolted to a rear axle cage driving a solid axle. So far I've completed the basic frame, and also started making the front spindles, which are sort-of scaled-down copies of the MGB spindles on my Locost.

Attachment:
bottomjrtubes.jpg

Attachment:
ljspindles.jpg

I had a wooden prototype of the car on display at last year's Maker Faire, just the frame and suspension, and it was a popular exhibit but also fragile. I hope to get as much done in steel before next year's Maker Faire, and possibly even install the drivetrain, although I'm not expecting to finish the car for at least another year.

Attachment:
faireelectrics.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Locost Junior
PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 6:44 pm 

I've seen you at the faire. Sounds like a fun project. All power!

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 7:06 pm 

Makes me think that I should build one that size for my grandson but pedal powered. Whichever of us gets to making the 1/2 size nose cone first should make a mold so that others could benefit. Bill

PostPosted: December 16, 2016, 12:52 pm 

Nick-
Looks like a real interesting project. Gives you a chance to keep your hand in the building phase. Looking at your chassis sitting next to your Locost reminds me of some of the Cycle Kart models that folks have built.

http://www.cyclekarts.com/

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 6:00 pm 

I sent the link to this to my wife, she says it's pretty cool too. I've thought about building a mini one before, maybe I should build one for my kids. I hadn't really thought about building an electric one, but that could be fun. Where are you getting the motor and speed control from? What kind of batteries and voltage will it run?
Kristian

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 7:41 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
Where are you getting the motor and speed control from? What kind of batteries and voltage will it run?

Look at "electric bike conversion kit" on eBay for a variety of options and price points.

PostPosted: December 22, 2016, 3:50 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
Where are you getting the motor and speed control from? What kind of batteries and voltage will it run?

I found a 900W 24V DC motor with controller and throttle at Monster Scooter parts for a little over $200. I'm hoping it'll be enough, The motor is rated at 34 amps at 2600 RPMs, which works out to 19 mph with 14.7 tires and 6:1 gearing, which sounds fast for a little over 1 hp, so we'll see.

I've mostly finished the frame and started working on the rear axle housing, which will incorporate a 32" long 1" dia. kart axle running in two pillow blocks bolted into the traditional Locost trailing link brackets. The motor, gears, and brakes will all mount to the housing.
Attachment:
axlebrackets.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 6:14 pm 

Trying to have a rolling chassis ready for the Maker Faire in May, I've finished the rear transaxle and front suspension. The front end is pretty much a duplicate of the modified MGB suspension on my Locost, scaled down. In photos the frame looks like it could be full-scale, until you notice it's sitting on a card table.

I made the bushings out of polyurethane tubing, after many failed attempts with other materials. I found tiny shocks online that will fit after I trim the springs a bit, and also half-scale wheels and tires that look about right. I still need to weld on a floor, and also add the steering gear. I haven't found a decent half-scale steering wheel, so I'll probably have to make that.

This has turned out to be more work than I expected, but it's still a lot easier than a full-scale Locost. I've also noticed my welding is getting worse as my vision deteriorates. Fortunately most of the welding is done. Looking forward to eye surgery in April.
Attachment:
juniorfs.jpg

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 7:46 pm 

Looking GOOD!!

As far as the steering wheel is concerned, I made one once for an all-steel 3-speed pedal car I built for my son.

I used steel electrical conduit, and a large V-belt pulley to bend it around. It worked beautifully, with nary a kink, and no annealing needed. I just bent a tad more than a circle, cut it so the ends met, welded it (I only had a gas welder in those days...) & smoothed it out. I made up a hub out of mild steel, then spokes out of more conduit, flattened on the ends in the vise, welded to the hub & rim.

With a coat of gloss black Krylon laquer paint (from a rattle can), it looked fantastic, and was very strong.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 10:16 pm 

Very cool!

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 7:45 pm 

The rear transaxle is complete. Clearance is minimal but it fits. The 1/2 hp motor currently attached will be replaced by a 1 hp version with the same mounting plate once the project is a little further along. The front suspension and steering is also nearly complete, so I should have a rolling chassis in the next couple of weeks.
Attachment:
transaxle.jpg

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 4:10 pm 

A few updates. The little Locost is almost a rolling chassis. I attached the floor last weekend and all of the welding is done. Everything I need to get it rolling is in the garage, I just need to put it together. I'll post more photos when it's sitting on its wheels.

I also bought all of the powertrain parts, including the motor, speed controller, batteries, throttle, charger, circuit breaker, and wiring. The throttle is a twist grip for an electric scooter. I built a mount for it that sits over the 'gas' pedal, and will install a linkage between the pedal and the grip. I plan to eventually have a rear disk brake, but for now I can use the motor for braking.

I have no idea yet whether or not any of this will work, but I should have everything installed in the next week or so and will be able to try it out. In theory, the 1.2 hp motor should be enough to at least get it moving. With 6:1 gearing, 14" tires, and advertised motor RPMs of 2600, a top seed of around 17 mph is possible, if unlikely. With its very basic suspension, handling should be predictable, or at least stable, but you never know.

The car should be ready for its debut at the Bay Area Maker Faire next month. My original goal this year was just to have a rolling chassis for a static display, but if it's a driveable rolling chassis, even better.

Attachment:
weldedfloor.jpg

Attachment:
floor.jpg

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 8:14 pm 

Nice work!

PostPosted: May 1, 2017, 4:41 pm 

Well, it works. I haven't actually run it on the ground yet since it has no brakes, but it runs nicely on the card table that I built it on. Brakes is next week's project. I have the brake pedal installed complete with return spring, it's just not hooked up to anything.

I thought the front/rear track would be around 29"/28", but the front track ended up a little over 30", and it looks way wider than the rear. I ordered a 4" longer rear axle, which should be easy enough to replace and make the thing look a lot better. The chassis is still shorter and narrower than it could be. The next frame I'd make 2" wider (24") and 4" longer (56") with the same 30" track.

Attachment:
IMG_0365.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0362.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0378.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0379.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0382.JPG

I didn't expect to get the drivetrain installed this soon. Really all that's left is bodywork, and maybe some kind of interior. And paint.

PostPosted: May 1, 2017, 11:17 pm 

thats a sweet job there Nick. hope you get it done for your target