LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: December 16, 2019, 10:40 pm 

It's been a couple of weeks since the last update.

First a family update. I'm the youngest of 6 kids. My sister, the youngest girl turned 65 in August and she's in her last days battling multiple metastatic cancers.
It started with lung cancer, with the aggressive Chemotherapy and radiation when the Docs are hoping they can kill the cancer before they kill the patient. Then a lymph node, then spots on her liver, then in her hip, then at her last pet scan a couple of months ago 13 brain tumors. After another course of radiation she sat down with her Doc to hear science has done all it can.
It's been just over a year since her initial diagnosis.
This past week they took her off all meds except pain management. Hospice comes to her several times per week. She's getting a [PooPoo] ton or narcotics every 4 hours because bone and liver cancer are two of the most painful cancers there are.
Between the drugs and the brain tumors she's been mostly gone the last few times I've seen her.

I don't believe she'll be here for Christmas. To be brutally honest, I pray every day that God will end her suffering quickly.

We watched our Dad die from lung cancer. 7 years. I appreciate those years because I was only 9 when he died. Only as an adult did I come to understand that at least the last 2 or 3 were nothing but hell for him.

I'm tired of watching my sister die. I'm tired of seeing her in pain. I'm tired of seeing what it's doing to my other sisters. I'm tired of seeing the fear on my brother's face wondering if he's done the same thing to himself. I'm tired of wondering how he'll cope as she's his primary support person keeping him from doing something stupid. I'm tired of feeling hollow. I'm tired of taking my emptiness, anger, and frustration out on Wifey Dearest; snapping at her when she doesn't deserve it.

I'd appreciate it if you guys would put my sister Vickie, and the rest of my family in your prayers.

Now for car stuff.
The Mod car is almost back together. I spent a few hours in the garage on Saturday cutting about 5 pounds of excess wire out of the motorcycle loom.
I made a plain, simple fan shroud from aluminum that bolts to the chassisand should provide more than enough air flow to keep the little 600 cool.
Attachment:
shroud.jpg

Last item on Saturday was pulling the Hoosiers off the rear wheels to re-seal the bead between the shell halves. Silicone will be cured by the time I'm home from this work trip.
With any luck I'll get a mental health day in the garage this weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 17, 2019, 12:41 am 

Positive energy on the way to you and your family Too Busy...

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 17, 2019, 7:06 am 

You are in my prayers my friend! It is hard to watch a loved one suffer. Do not give up on Life! We see the pain , and we see the joy! Next time you see a small child with a big smile, think how your sister looked at that same age and see the joy she experienced in her life!

Thom

PostPosted: December 17, 2019, 12:17 pm 

You and your family are definitely in our thoughts and prayers.
Karen and Perry

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: December 17, 2019, 1:29 pm 

Tommy, What can I say? I am not good at these things. Your post is clearly showing your love and your compassion for your sister, along with your own pain. You are going through some tough times. This will be short and will pass with time. Your sister's pain will soon be eased. I hope that your memories of Vickie will be of the good times, before the Big C.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 18, 2019, 8:59 am 
We are Slotus!

Tommy-
Like Chuck said, I'm not good at this kind of thing either. But I hope your sister, you and all of the family can find peace soon. Hang in there...
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 18, 2019, 1:14 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. We'll be thinking of all of you, hoping for the best outcome possible.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 18, 2019, 9:53 pm 

Losing family members is never easy: you don't get over it but you do get used to their absence it time. I lost my parents many years ago, one to a heart attack, quickly, and the other to cancer, slowly, Neither is an easy way to lose a friend or family member. Fast or slow, the result is the same, but slow does certainly test one. Be strong.

PostPosted: December 19, 2019, 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've wrapped up audits and meetings in Detroit area and headed home. Done with work until after the New Year.

Vickie is still hanging on. Got a video from her yesterday saying goodbye in case she didn't make it until I got back.
I'll head down to see her tomorrow, then we'll just se how it goes from there.

Baby Girl will be home tomorrow night, then The Boy and his fiancée on Saturday. Kid time will help my mental state.

talk soon

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: January 1, 2020, 11:51 am 

Short update
Vickie is still hanging on / lingering / withering, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can't keep watching her slowly waste away.

A Mod is on the ground and I took it for a lap around the neighborhood. Needs rear tires as the Hoosiers for a 2000 lb car are hard as rocks. I'll be reaching out to USDRRT (Lee) in TN for some fresh rubber

I've been doing a little work on the 7. Will post an update there later today.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 4:45 pm 

Feb 1, Saturday. Talked with my sister Becky and Vickie is still hanging on. Between cancer and drugs she's only lucid for a couple of minutes a couple of times a day.
Hospice nurse is there vitals look good, but she has started skip breathing. Nurse doesn't say anything about it but I know we've hit the hours or days timeline.
I leave tonight for a 12 day trip to Argentina and Brazil.
I call my boss to tell her I'm going on the trip, but know my sister is going to die while I'm gone. When I get the news I'm pulling the plug and heading home.
She understands and is very supportive.

Feb 2nd, Groundhog Day

I flew all night headed to Buenos Aires for the first leg of the trip. Been planning this for months getting the stars aligned and supplier visits coordinated.
I turn on the phone and wait for it to realize where we are to start an international session. It's 9:10 in BA and 7:10 back home.
When the phone boots up I get a ding from Messenger; my nephew Kevin "Hey Tommy, when you have a chance can you call?"

It's the call no one wants to get or make. My Sister, his Mom, died a little after 5am.
Even when you see it coming, even when you know the time is near, you aren't prepared. The emotions start, then my brain kicks into gear. There will be plenty of time for emotions, right now is time for Logistics.

He's in the Navy stationed in Germany and The Red Cross is taking care of him. He's on the first flight tomorrow morning and will be home before sundown.

I call Wifey Dearest, then my Boss, then my co-workers, then the travel agent, then repeat the sequence. I'll fly out of BA tomorrow night and get home Tuesday late morning.

Attachment:
vickie.jpg

This was taken right before her initial diagnosis and how I want to remember her. With the love of her life Henry and their two boys Chad and Kevin.
This is the image I want to sear into my brain and burn away the past few months.

Thank God her suffering is over. Maybe now our healing will begin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 8:09 pm 

Very sorry to of your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Thom

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 9:42 pm 

Most sincere condolences Tommy. So sorry for you and her family.

Peace

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 11:49 pm 

So sorry to hear this Tommy. My condolences to you and your family.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 4, 2020, 11:03 am 

Prayers to you and your family my friend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next