LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: August 22, 2019, 4:10 pm 

I am trying for a little camber gain on compression and cornering. I've been playing a little in VSUSP and know that I'm going to have to cut my mount brackets off and move the lowers down to keep from having too much camber gain.
The spacing currently is based on the uprights from the A Mod. The Miata uprights are taller than what was on here.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 23, 2019, 1:02 am 

Hey guys. I've been playing in VSUSP trying to get decent looking numbers for the A mod using NA Miata rear spindles.

https://tinyurl.com/y6d99t8r

Can you fellows with more suspension experience give me some feedback on this setup please?
The front suspension is as is with dimensions eyeballed with a tape measure

The rear is the result of dimension from the library on NA knuckles and various attempts at A Arm lengths and pickup locations to get the roll center down low and give me a reasonable looking graph.

Open to suggestions.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 3:17 pm 

I was working on the A Mod last night and the welder started acting up.
One time I'd squeeze the trigger and everything would be fine; the next time I'd get nothing but popping cracking and porosity, like noe shield gas. Sometimes the wire would start feeding for no reason. Stupid Horrible Fright cheapy biting me in the butt.

I came in took a shower and watched Forged in Fire.

Today at lunch I went out to see if I could figure out the problem.
Took the gun apart and looked at the gas valve. It's plastic garbage, but didn't appear to be cracked.
Disconnected the gas hose from the valve and blew into it, seemed to have a little leak. So I took the cover off the welder and disconnected the gas hose and pulled it out of the torch hose to inspect. No cracks, no bad kinks. :?
Plugged the hose back into the fitting in the machine and back into the gas valve, turned on the bottle and for the first time in a LOOOONG time, no leaks. Even more :?

Then I looked at the plastic pieces of the gun. Only the best Chinesium injection molded plastic here. I found a broken tab that holds the gas valve in place and a couple of broken tabs that hold the gun together.
:idea:
Light bulb came on. The pieces inside work like they should, but the gun case is cracked crap.
I put the gas hose back in the torch hose, connected everything back up and used a little glue to hold the gas valve in place.

More glue to hold the gun pieces together capped with a double layer of duct tape.
Attachment:
gun.jpg

Put the machine back together and everything works plus no more gas leak when I'm not welding.
I ordered the replacement gun from USAweld that uses real pieces and real consumables $72 to my door, but the patch will have me working through the weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 3:27 pm 

Good catch Tommy. We do what is needed to keep on keepin on.

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 10:49 am 

Short update on the past few days in the garage.

I made the decision to keep the motor level, shift it a little to the left and shift the diff a little to the right. I still have some angle in my itty-bitty driveshaft, but C'est la vie. It'll work until it doesn't.

Once the decision was made I needed to spend some more time noodling. I hit VSUSP and kept playing with control arm mounting points and arm lengths until I found some numbers I was happy with that used common fractions. Nothin I build is measured to 3 decimal places when I use a bandsaw, grinder and welder. Precision work is only milling or turning.

Looking through a bunch of build logs I really liked what ccrunner was doing on his Berkley and I used his control arms for inspiration.
Attachment:
control arms small.jpg

Tubes are 3/4 and angles are 1 1/4 x 1/8. Rod ends are 1/2 inch and repurposed from version 2.0
Shock mounts are also cut from 1 1/4 x 1/8 angle iron. Tacked welded pairs together, drilled, rounded corners, then welded to the frame.
I can easily adjust toe and camber. I'll most likely add a little more stiffening in way of some 18 gage steel sheet.

With suspension in place it was time to shorten the 1/2 hafts. I picked up a few good tips on YouTube, so we'll see if they work in real life. Shiplap scarf joint with a sleeve.
The shafts were cut to length for a 1 inch overlap. I notched them for a shiplap scarf, then ground 1/4 inch 45 degree angles on all the edges so I'd have nice deep penetration in all of the joint.
1 tack weld, then make sure the sleeve would slide over the joint. Then a 2nd tack and repeat, then a 3rd, then fully weld.
I turned the welder up to MAX and got busy filling the V grooves to 100% and just a little bit proud.
When the weld cooled a bit of work with the grinder allowed the sleeves to slide in place. Last step was weld all around the ends of the sleeve.
Attachment:
half shaft small.jpg

Next up was exhaust. I cut up the old headers that I'd built, but saved the 90 degree bends and the flanges.
First attempt didn't make me happy. Too much difference in tube length and not really visually appealing.
Attachment:
first.jpg

Wifey Dearest and I went out to grab a bite to eat and I realized I was pairing the tubes wrong.

Second attempt looks better to me.
Attachment:
second.jpg

SO I decided to go for it. I needed to cut sections and make 2 into 1 splices.
Lots of mig wire went into this. But what I ended up with was a pair of 2 into 1's sitting side by side and poth with 1 1/2 inch round outlets.
Attachment:
2 into 1.jpg

All that was left was to build another 2 into 1 and add a muffler.
Sorry for the bad angle, but you get the idea. It tucks up next to the frame and doesn't interfere with suspension.
Attachment:
finished header.jpg

Next up is shifter cable mods and clutch cable. Nothing is the right length since I rotated the engine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 11:21 am 

That half-shaft sleeve should work. I simply used a beveled end at 45 degrees(ish) to distribute the weld stress. Did you bother to measure the shaft runout?

I question your placement of the lower shock mount with 3/4" tube. This has been proven to be less than acceptable in numerous builds. I'd get that out as close to the upright as possible, even if that means extending the upper mount outwards.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 11:51 am 

rx7locost wrote:
That half-shaft sleeve should work. I simply used a beveled end at 45 degrees(ish) to distribute the weld stress. Did you bother to measure the shaft runout?

I question your placement of the lower shock mount with 3/4" tube. This has been proven to be less than acceptable in numerous builds. I'd get that out as close to the upright as possible, even if that means extending the upper mount outwards.

I know it's been a weak point. I think that with some strategically placed sheet metal I can make a boxed section that will be ok for a 700 lb autocross car. If it breaks, It'll get a redesign. :lol:

oh and shaft runout is .004 not too shabby for this project.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 12:58 pm 

"not too shabby" is an huge understatement. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 9, 2019, 10:47 am 

I've been working on a couple of side projects the past few days instead of the A Mod.

I had my welders and plasma cutter sitting on the scaffolding that I used building the garage. It just wasn't working for me, so I decided to build a multi-purpose cart.
There were a set of bed rails laying about that we picked up off the side of the road on a nightly walk. Some wheels in the storage building from various other projects, and a bit of sheet metal that I bought a couple of years ago at Charleston recycling center on the cheap; like 24 cents per pound cheap.

Attachment:
welder cart.jpg

Hit up Lowe's for a junction box, so tonight I'll wire it up for any of the devices to power up off a single 50 amp 220V plug.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: September 9, 2019, 8:41 pm 

Success! The cart is all wired up and I can run 2 of the three devices at full power at the same time. Not that I ever see that happening, but you just never know.

The other project for today was to set the 5/16" steel plates on the build table.
Attachment:
table.jpg

A couple of tack welds down the center line join the 2 pieces. I'll drill and countersink a few screws to hold it right and tight to the 3/4 MDF and frame.

Now back to the regularly scheduled A Mod rebuild...

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: November 27, 2019, 12:40 pm 

Long time no update.
What's been going on since early September?
I finally got around to putting the ridge vent in the garage. Up on the roof, rip off the ridge cap and put on the vent. All in all a super easy project that only took two afternoons from end of workday to dusk. Glad I waited for cooler weather as it was still toasty up on the roof in September.

Most exciting thing was I saw a great deal on a milling machine, so we loaded up the trailer and drove a couple of hours to pick it up.
A couple of hours back home, then the engine hoist and a little Egyptian ingenuity to get it set in place.
Add a variable speed drive that I picked up on Craigslist and the shop is a happy place with a 3/4 size mill sitting next to the welding cart.

Once the mill was set in place I packed bags for a 2 week trip to China and Vietnam for work. China was awesome temps in the upper 60s and low 70s. Audited a handful of suppliers and set my new hire to work on improvement plans.
Vietnam was hot as balls. Mid to upper 90s with high humidity. I have to say the food was AMAZING though. Hit up a street food court in Ho Chi Minh city for pho, barbecued ribs, and spring rolls. Delish
Then a Korean bbq joint for dinner with way too much food and wine.

Finished up the China trip and flew home for 1 night. First week weather was ok for the most part with one little snow flurry. Monday morning of week two the arctic blast hit. Woke up to a couple of inches of snow and it kept coming down to 24 hours. 10" on the ground when it finally stopped.
Way too much time in a conference room and 4 days later headed home only to have a 3 hour flight delay. Finally touched down in GSO at 12:45 am.

The weekend rolled around and I realized how much stuff needs to get done weekly and I've been gone for a month. Mowing, weed whacking, raking, blowing leaves, building up the leaf mold compost pile, etc getting ready for a good friend's Birthday Party we were having at our house. Didn't even go to the garage first weekend home.

Last weekend I did the weekly yard stuff fast then hit up the garage.
Looking at everything where I'd left off and realized most all of the fabrication work was done. The only thing I didn't like was the angle of the driveshaft. Moving the rear end would be a TON of cutting and I had ZERO DESIRE to do that. But cutting the motor mounts and shifting the motor another 1 1/2 inches to the left was a piece of cake.
Zip wheel and recip saw +5 minutes and the motor mounts were out. I spent the rest of Saturday making new ones and welding in crush tubes.

Sunday yanked out the motor to do the finish welding on the frame as there were several joints I couldn't reach as I was fabbing it up.
Weld, weld, weld, then set the motor back in Sunday afternoon.

Hopefully this weekend I'll put a new battery in (the old agm finally gave up the ghost) and take her for a lap around the neighborhood.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 12:37 pm 

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all
A quick weekend update
Thanksgiving started with one of our family traditions, The Greensboro Gobbler 5k.
Wifey Dearest, Baby Girl, The Boy, and me (picture below) plus Mother in Law, Wifey's Cuz and son all headed out for the annual event. I think this was maybe year 18 or 19, hell I can't remember, just know we've been doing it for ages.
Attachment:
tg19.jpg

Mother in Law is 86 and won 70 and up bracket with a 42 minute 5k
Baby Girl didn't make the podium at 24:xx

The Boy and I had a nice leisurely walk and talk. Work, wedding planning, honeymoon plans, adulating in general, and how much I miss having him around.
Then the massive Turkey day lunch, The Boy bugged out to go care for sick fiancée. Baby Girl, Wifey Dearest, Mother in Law and I went to buy Christmas trees (tradition #2 - every Thanksgiving since time began or as long as I've been around...)
Then tradition #3 kids in the sleigh at the tree lot. Only got 1 kid since The Boy had bugged out.
Attachment:
tg19-2.png

On Friday I skipped the shopping spree to head to the garage.
Pulled the A Mod off the table and set her back on her wheels for the first time in what seems like forever. Main reason to put her on the ground was to make fabbing the wing mount easier. I didn't see any reason to climb on a ladder to build something on a table when I could work at comfortable height.
1" 18 gauge tubes for the wing mount. It took longer than normal as the Virginia VA Tech came kept distracting me. I guess that's a downside to having a TV in the garage.
Attachment:
wing 1.jpg

Attachment:
wing2.jpg

Attachment:
wing3.jpg

Next step is a bit of wiring to accommodate the relocated cooling fan and a test run. Neither of those happened but hopefully this coming weekend.

Saturday was freaking cold, wet, and dreary. Low 40's made the garage plenty uncomfortable, so that got me to thinking. I can cool it from 95+ to 72 with a window unit AC, I should be able to warm it up nicely with a 500 watt, 17k BTU space heater.
A little online browsing sent me to Northern Tool.
Attachment:
heater.png

At $90 I don't think I can beat it. Test coming up this weekend when I get back from a business trip to Cleveland.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 2:28 pm 

That's the same one I have in my garage! I hooked it up to a Honeywell wi-fi and Alexa enabled thermostat using this relay/transformer combo. Keeps my 3 car garage at at least 45 degrees all winter. If I want to work out there, I'll bump the setpoint up to 55
a little beforehand from my phone (or by just telling Alexa to do it) and it gets up to temp nice and quick. Adds about $20-30 to the electric bill on the really cold months.

After the big fluorescent fixtures I installed, that little heater has been the best investment I've made in the garage.

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 3:02 pm 

Laminar wrote:
That's the same one I have in my garage! I hooked it up to a Honeywell wi-fi and Alexa enabled thermostat using this relay/transformer combo. Keeps my 3 car garage at at least 45 degrees all winter. If I want to work out there, I'll bump the setpoint up to 55
a little beforehand from my phone (or by just telling Alexa to do it) and it gets up to temp nice and quick. Adds about $20-30 to the electric bill on the really cold months.

After the big fluorescent fixtures I installed, that little heater has been the best investment I've made in the garage.

Good to know. What's the outside temp in your area as a reference point?

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 3:58 pm 

Oops - looks like I can't add my location to my profile - I'm in Iowa.

Typical winter temps are in the 20s and 30s, with a week or two that likes to dip below 10 degF.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next