LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: April 8, 2017, 12:49 am 

I just saw your car on GRM, and forasecond or so wasn't sure which forum I was on. Looking good though.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 8, 2017, 6:55 pm 

Such an awesome looking car. Henry Manny III would probably note its crumpet collecting power, were he around to see it and pass some crumpets.

PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 10:30 pm 

I've been working on my project. I've decided to go with an LS1 engine that I had. I purchased it about 9 years ago out of a low mileage Camaro. I'm molding in a hood bulge to clear the engine.

I'm forming the body so that it will sit and self align on the frame.

My son is long in the torso and 6"2" tall. He's sitting in the car.

Having fun!

PostPosted: April 15, 2017, 4:30 pm 

Always wanted a cheetah. This is looking great. Good job.
Gale

PostPosted: April 16, 2017, 8:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Like he ^ said, it's looking great! I like the way it's all coming together.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 16, 2017, 5:21 pm 

Thank you very much.

Between Easter, My grandsons 3rd birthday, and a couple of adult daughters birthdays this weekend I didn't get much done on the car. But, I did work a little on the hood bulge. And, I made radiator ducts out of 1/8 inch thick plywood. I made the pieces slightly under size. Then I tabbed them in with body filler. Then glassed them in. The hood pivot pins will pass through these pieces. Tomorrow the hood will pivot up and down!

I have a couple of hood vents. I'm going to fit them into the hood.

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 8:19 pm 

I purchase my LS engine about 10 years ago. Now I can't find the paperwork for it. I'm pretty sure that NY will require proper paper work for the initial inspection. I think that I'm going to have to get a different LS engine. :(

I have determined that a dual quad set up from Edelbrock for Vortec heads will fit under the bulge. But, I'm going to use the SBC in a hot rod and use an LS in my roadster.

It's never easy!

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 1:03 am 

Have a friend or anybody. Write you a receipt for the engine with serial number & they'll never know the difference. Tell them you bought it from the swap meet. If they're like California all their mainly interested in is how much did the build cost you. So they can "tax" you accordingly. LOL

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 8:49 am 

I would just take the numbers stamped in the block [a pencil rubbing over a sheet of paper] to your local state police office and have them verify that it did not come from a stolen car. Here in Michigan the inspector was more interested in verifying the VIN number stamped on the engine and trans then the items on the state inspection list. Dave W

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 6:40 pm 

I'm in Canada, so likely way different rules, but were supposed to provide receipts for all major components here too. I didn't have much for receipts, but sent everything in anyways. I ended up have to fill out a statutory declaration saying that to the best of my knowledge none of the parts were stolen. I had to have that notarized and send it in to get my vin. It wasn't a big deal at all. You might be able to do something similar too.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 26, 2017, 10:50 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions! NY is requiring paper work that has the VIN number of the vehicle and bill of sale for the engine. I've purchased a 5.3 for little money. I have the correct paper work for it. The engine number and computer number are the same and match the paper work. I have to replace the intake and oil pan with my LS1 parts for clearance sake. After I go through registration I might switch the engines. We will see about that.

I've been working on body work. Now I have the body off and upside down. I'm cleaning up the mods from the underside. In the next couple of days I'll fiberglass them for reinforcement sake. This body is going to be heavier than needed. Maybe I'll make molds and lay up new, lighter parts in the future.

The frame is almost done. I think the rear upper shock mounts are all that is remaining. I'll finish that tomorrow then take everything apart for cleaning, and final welding.

Some of the things that I've worked on: seat mounts, trans mount, pedal mounts, E brake, torque arm, driveshaft safety hoop, and fuel tank mounts.

I ordered a lot of parts and tires today.

Having fun.

PostPosted: May 9, 2017, 2:14 am 

As a roadster it's looking pretty cool. The only thing about the Cheetah was that it looked like a Corvette. That ran backwards into a block wall at about 100 mph LOL

PostPosted: May 10, 2017, 10:18 am 

Which brand of e brake is that?
Gale

PostPosted: May 12, 2017, 9:40 pm 

Mike S wrote:
As a roadster it's looking pretty cool. The only thing about the Cheetah was that it looked like a Corvette. That ran backwards into a block wall at about 100 mph LOL

:) I'm for sure taking liberties with the design and building it my way.

I purchased the Ebrake kit off of Ebay. I don't remember the manufacturer. I'll get that for you shortly.

I've completed the welding of the frame. I hope to get it painted in the next few days.
I purchased new tires and have had them mounted on my aluminum wheels.
I've had a steady stream of parts being delivered.

I contacted NY DMV to get the procedure for registering my replica/home built car. I should have found out what the requirements were before starting my build!!!! If I install a used engine I have to run EVERY emissions control system that was on the vehicle it came out of. I have 3 used engines now. A nice little 305 with vortec heads. The block came out of a 1983 Camaro. A LS1 (low mileage) that came out of a 1999 Camaro. (I ended up tracking down the vehicle that this engine came out of and was able to get the paper work I needed). And, a 5.3 that came out of truck.

I called and talked to an inspector. He said that if I ran any of those engines that I needed the emissions systems. He said that I would need to run a 1972 or earlier engine to have only a PVC system. I asked him about purchasing a Carbed SBC crate engine straight from GM. He said that I would only need a PVC on it.

As of tonight I'm not sure what I'm going to do for an engine.

I need to run bumpers.

The headlights cant be any lower than 24 inches to the center of the light. It's 24 inches to the top of my headlight position.

I have to run back up lights and DOT approved side markers.

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

PostPosted: May 12, 2017, 9:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well, there's passing the tech and then there's driving on the street. 8)

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next