LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 11:25 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
terryjr wrote:
I hate posting photos here
Why is that Terry? Can I help? (Not sure how, but I'll have a go...) I'm enjoying this build, it's so different!

Well. I dont mind attaching photos but theres a 2mb limit, cell phones have surpassed that file size in like 2005. So attaching is not an option unless im at a desktop and can download the photo onto the hardrive and open it up to reduce the size. I also upload all my photos to smugmug, online photo server i pay good money for. From there its very easy to get a link to embed it with img code but this site doesnt downsize automatically so the photos blow off the page and make it hard to read. So back to the desktop i go to get a smaller image link or a downsized attachable file. But, i can fully understand why attaching is preferred, especially after photobucket has literally ruined the internet with broken links on every forum.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 11:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Hmmm... I think I see the difference in our situations.

I use my cell phone, which isn't that old (Motorola Droid Turbo 2, according to TWWTFM) to take the pics and then use the text app to send the pic to my email. From my email at my desktop, I save the pic to a folder on a thumb drive with the build log on it. Then I upload that file to the post in the build log. Somewhere along the way, the file size seems to get "corrected" without any input from me.

I know that's cumbersome, but it's what I've done from day 1, so it seems natural/normal, etc. If you're one of them modern folks and are trying to go direct from cell phone to post in here, then I understand the problem, but I really can't offer a solution other than going thru that desktop you talk about. Perhaps there's a "Downsize My Picture" app you can use?

But my real solution is, now that we've talked about it, perhaps some of the Smart Kids will chime in with an acceptable solution!

I hope this was, or proves to be, some help with the pics dilemma!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 12:21 pm 

Terry and Gonzo.. I'm surely not one of the smart kids :lol: , but I now do it pretty much as Gonzo described- with my phone and email.. I used to use a digital camera, but I've found the phone/email/desktop way is really pretty quick and easy.. as an aside, I'm using an Iphone 6, and when I send it to email it asks for size preference (small/medium/large), and I've found that Medium sizes it perfectly.. (also, if I need to add any lines/arrow/notes to the pic, I open the desktop pic in Paint and get all artsy from there)..

I suspect there are easier ways to do it, but I'm so used to this way that it's really fast and easy for me now- hope this helps.. Love your build Terry.. I hope the hassle of posting pics comes to pass and you keep us updated :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 12:21 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hmmm... I think I see the difference in our situations.

I use my cell phone, which isn't that old (Motorola Droid Turbo 2, according to TWWTFM) to take the pics and then use the text app to send the pic to my email. From my email at my desktop, I save the pic to a folder on a thumb drive with the build log on it. Then I upload that file to the post in the build log. Somewhere along the way, the file size seems to get "corrected" without any input from me.

I know that's cumbersome, but it's what I've done from day 1, so it seems natural/normal, etc. If you're one of them modern folks and are trying to go direct from cell phone to post in here, then I understand the problem, but I really can't offer a solution other than going thru that desktop you talk about. Perhaps there's a "Downsize My Picture" app you can use?

But my real solution is, now that we've talked about it, perhaps some of the Smart Kids will chime in with an acceptable solution!

I hope this was, or proves to be, some help with the pics dilemma!

JDK

In confession, I keep my main journal on RS25.com, its a subaru forum ive been a premium member on since 2007ish. Locost forum was a referral from there. After getting to know the site, i can see my out of the ordinary build isnt a very good fit here but i like to still come back and keep it updated. I'll be in from time to time to update, especially once it comes time to get it registered in PA as a street legal vehicle. Theres only one other documented vehicle here getting street legal in PA so I'd like to at least contribute my experience with the system this spring.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 12:34 pm 

"...My out of the ordinary build isnt a very good fit here but i like to still come back..."

Please do keep coming back with updates Terry- builds like this are exactly what keep me coming to this site.. Most guys here personify "out of the ordinary," and the problems and solutions encountered are often found off-brand (i.e. the Saab build guy uses a Ford diff he may not have thought of if he hadn't learned of it here...)..

Different is good... you'll find very few purists here (a group I've personally found I don't have much patience for).. Your build posted here is inspiring someone in some way :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 28, 2018, 4:31 am 

Terry, there a bunch of free photo editing apps for the cell phone. I use Photo Resizer HD on my Android and it saves reduced size photos and will even crop. I use it regularly to avoid sending or posting virgin high def pictures. I send regularly to a number of restricted attachment lists, which would otherwise reject my posts.

PostPosted: February 28, 2018, 7:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Psst! Terry- Warren is one of the smart kids I wuz talkin' about... :mrgreen:

As to your build log "fitting in" here, I don't see any problems... You are building a car. It's not a Lotus 7 clone. Neither is mine. Neither is CCRunner's Honda OR his Volvo. But cutting and welding and fitting and designing suspensions and installing drivetrain and... and... and... All the same, Bro. Anything you figure out may transfer over to somebody else's build, no matter what kind of car it is. Anything the Se7en builders figure out may transfer to your build. It's all good...

I mean, they didn't run me off yet, so I don't think you should worry about "fitting in." :mrgreen:

Besides that, your build looks cool. Keep it comin'! And good luck with the pictures.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 28, 2018, 9:01 am 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
Terry, there a bunch of free photo editing apps for the cell phone. I use Photo Resizer HD on my Android and it saves reduced size photos and will even crop. I use it regularly to avoid sending or posting virgin high def pictures. I send regularly to a number of restricted attachment lists, which would otherwise reject my posts.

Thanks for the lead, I'll have to give it a try. Once my sheet metals done on the plasma, the progress gates should open again with wiring, fuel lines, brake lines and shorty after a TEST DRIVE

GonzoRacer wrote:
Psst! Terry- Warren is one of the smart kids I wuz talkin' about... :mrgreen:

As to your build log "fitting in" here, I don't see any problems... You are building a car. It's not a Lotus 7 clone. Neither is mine. Neither is CCRunner's Honda OR his Volvo. But cutting and welding and fitting and designing suspensions and installing drivetrain and... and... and... All the same, Bro. Anything you figure out may transfer over to somebody else's build, no matter what kind of car it is. Anything the Se7en builders figure out may transfer to your build. It's all good...

I mean, they didn't run me off yet, so I don't think you should worry about "fitting in." :mrgreen:

Besides that, your build looks cool. Keep it comin'! And good luck with the pictures.

JDK

Thanks for the welcome.

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 8:57 am 

progress been slow until i get sheet metal from plasma table. Started working on the motor a bit. It will be same motor that was in my forester except that i'm flipping the intake manifold back around to stock (subaru thing) This means i can put the alternator back in is right side up stock position. So i'm making a bracket to tension the alternator rather than using the power steering mount. My power steering has been deleted

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 10:25 am 

Very cool project!

In regards to being "non-traditional", I think the fact that this forum is non-marque specific is one of its strength. The focus is on the building of cars from scratch, not necessarily just following a cookbook to come up with the same thing as the previous guy. The Locost platform is a convenient and well-proven model to build a reliable car but certainly not the only way. Some of my favorite threads to follow are the more non-Locosty projects like yours. :D The fun is watching and learning how each individual tackles their project's unique challenges. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 8, 2018, 12:03 pm 

just spent a pretty penny of fuel lines and fittings. Gotta love e85. Hopefully this will also help get a bit more fuel to the engine, even with a 450lph pump and 1000cc injectors, i was running out of fuel flow. At wide open throttle she drinks about a gallon of fuel per minute

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 8:48 am 

downloaded a pic shrinker app. but still couldnt post from movile, it would attached file but everytime i'd hit submit, it would ask me to log in. ? Oh well, back at PC.

It was a lil chilly this weekend but rather nice and sunny. Wife took kids to her moms so i pushed the buggy outside at tipped it up to get to those hard to reach areas for welding

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 11:56 am 

terryjr wrote:
I also upload all my photos to smugmug, online photo server i pay good money for. From there its very easy to get a link to embed it with img code but this site doesnt downsize automatically so the photos blow off the page and make it hard to read.

Smugmug should offer you link codes in alternative sizes - something like the X2 or X3 would be a good balance of the image being large enough dimensionally but without the huge filesize and associated data penalty.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal ... ay-quality

The file size mattered much more back when some people still connected to the internet with 56k modems, today most people have at least some form of broadband. But even with broadband, a page full of 6MB photos straight off of a phone can take ages to load. And for someone browsing on mobile with a data plan, a single build thread with a couple hundred pictures could eat into a monthly data plan pretty quickly. An image sized to fit a typical computer screen doesn't need to be any bigger than ~500KB while still maintaining great quality. This picture was 2.4MB from my phone, but I sized it down to 1000 pixels wide, which fits well on most monitors. Its filesize is 538KB, so it loads quickly on just about any connection. And the quality is still 100% there - you can see every spec of dust.

When a site auto-resizes inline images, it only artificially changes the picture's dimensions to fit it in the screen, it still requires that the viewer download the entire large image, so relying on the forum's software to shrink the exterior dimensions of the image isn't a full solution.

All of that being said, please keep posting here! Some of the best builds here are "out of the ordinary" and don't seem to fit it. Who knows - maybe you'll see a few people taking inspiration from your build and doing a Subaru drivetrain or truck-style build!

PostPosted: March 13, 2018, 9:02 am 

Laminar wrote:
terryjr wrote:
I also upload all my photos to smugmug, online photo server i pay good money for. From there its very easy to get a link to embed it with img code but this site doesnt downsize automatically so the photos blow off the page and make it hard to read.

Smugmug should offer you link codes in alternative sizes - something like the X2 or X3 would be a good balance of the image being large enough dimensionally but without the huge filesize and associated data penalty.

I get lots of image sizes, i usually just right click on the preview image and copy address. but then nobody can zoom in and critique my half ass monday night welds

and speaking of which, i need to go find some newer carbide die grinder bits

PostPosted: March 16, 2018, 2:30 pm 

teaching myself some new tricks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next