LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Jag Special
PostPosted: February 25, 2019, 9:32 am 

A few small updates over the weekend.

Since I'm pretty much done with the front suspension structure (except for flipping the chassis to finish weld some joints I don't want to try from underneath) it was time to take those lovely ProShocks out and replace them with mockup struts...

...done. These are the struts I'd already made, but re-drilled from the 11.5 I'd estimated before to the measured 12.375 of the Proshocks.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190221_162504.jpg

Then I dragged out the Jetta steering rack I'm planning on using (it feels about half the weight of the XJ6 rack, plus the mounting bosses are will be a bit easier to build), and plopped it into the chassis about where it's supposed to go, and began the process of Thinking About It.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190221_165803.jpg

While that simmered in the back of my brain, I moved to the rear end and began fabricating the bracketry which will mount the axle-end watts links, which will take the place of the stock Jaguar radius arms.

IN the XJ6 - for those unfamiliar - the entire rear axle and suspension is mounted in a pressed-steel cage, which is then rubber mounted to the body of the XJ6. It's longitudinal location is secured with two rubber-bushed radius arms on either side. When the jag Differential housing is mounted solidly to the chassis (as I've done, and in any number of hotrods and custom street/track specials) the radius arms only work if the forward ends pivot on an axis coincidental with that of the inner rear LCA pivots. if there isn't room underneath the chassis for those forward inner mounts, then the solution becomes a small watts link setup at either end of the axle...

...and thus, bracketry is needed to mount the ends of the links, fore and aft of the axle. I made mine out of the same 1.5 x 4.0 x .120 rectangular ERW as the front top shock mounts Just pictures, it'll be obvious what I've done.

first...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190224_144831.jpg

...and then...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190224_151738.jpg

...and then...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190224_153803.jpg

...and lastly.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190224_163020.jpg

The above being only the drivers side forward link mount, still the passenger side to go, and then experiment with pivot and link lengths and positions before welding the aft link mounts on. The rearward link will pass between the rear LCA and the axle halfshaft itself (which is fixed length and acts as the upper control arm.)

But, that's still TBD...

And, well, then...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 22, 2019, 10:18 am 

once again, a month slipped by...

As before, if you're on FB and a member of the "Homebuilt Cars from Scratch or Kits" FB group, you'll have seen some of this, but...

IN order to figure out lengths of the forward and aft links, and the LCA mounted pivot bracket, I needed a mockup pivot bracket, and the easiest method seemed to use the pivot center from the original Jag radius arm...which unbolted without any problems. Remember when I hacked those arms apart with the reciprocating saw? lolz, Got me!

anyway, the bolt itself embodies a funny British engineering solution, because the Jag engineers insisted on having shocks on both sides of the LCA.

Half the bolt head is cut away, on purpose...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_124737.jpg

...so that it will clear the fwd lower coil-over mount on the LCA, when you drawing the bolt out.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_124747.jpg

The radius arm pivot center knocked out easily...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_124853.jpg

...and that was welded to a length of 1 x .125 steel strap with 1/2 holes drilled on 6.5 centers. (first initial TLAR pivot bar length)

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_164539.jpg

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_165405.jpg

The yellow crayon in the above pic shows the measured cut line on the ball, and a bit of molten sparkage later, we have an initial mockup pivot bar.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_165715.jpg

Attachment:
cameringo_20190302_170258.jpg

A few 1/2 Teflon-race rod ends in place to determine initial link lengths, during which it is discovered that the fwd link is too short by about an inch, due to the placement of the bracket. oh well. DO IT AGAIN.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190303_173408.jpg

Meanwhile, the mockup pivot bar gets a second side, making it even more like the final version. (sectioned ball cut square, and a piece of 3/16th strap used to space the second link bar outwards) Pivot link width was determined by bolting thru a 1/2 rod end with cone washers on either side.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190309_163901.jpg

And then a spare link mount was clamped to the bottom of the chassis in the fwd position, links equalized to 9.625 long eye-to-eye, and everything fit up with the rear link mount clamped in place.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190309_173957.jpg

Link equalization detail.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190315_132008.jpg

Subsequent movement of the axle thru it's travel showed that the watts link moved freely without binding, and so welding could take place.

...and then...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 22, 2019, 10:33 am 

...I determined that the axle pivot bar could be shortened (there's a ground-strike risk for the bottom end of the pivot bar, so it really needs to be as short as possible) and so re-drilled the link attachments at 5.75 inches.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190315_155317.jpg

Mocked up with clamps to check freedom of movement. Everything worked perfectly, zero binding. Oh, video exists, but I haven't uploaded anything to my YouTube page in about a year. I really need to get after that.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190315_163513.jpg

Also in the view above, you can see where the previous fwd link mount has been cut off and ground smooth-ish (lower right in the picture)

...and apparently I have no pictures of the welded brackets, because duh.

I'll be out there tomorrow working on the steering rack mounts, and so will remedy that pictorial deficit. see you in a month! Maybe? ;-P

...and then...

PostPosted: April 9, 2019, 9:45 am 

From the Archives:

One year ago last Sunday, the XJ6 donor came home. It was a fun drive. See for yourselves ;-)

https://youtu.be/99fKKJnVETA

PostPosted: April 24, 2019, 9:28 am 

SO, where were we...right.

As mentioned above, I'd begun the Heavy Thinking About It stage of the Steering Rack install, and during those ruminations - and measurings, and moving the rack in and out a few times - came to realize that I needed to be able to tilt the rack mounts forward farther that the full-width LCA cross tube would allow, and so decided to section it to about 1 inch width and reinforce that cut section with a length of .75 SQ X .065 wall tube...

A combination of recip saw, drill and angle grinder later, I was rewarded with the space needed for mounting the rack. The reinforcing tube is resting above the cut. You'll see holes drilled thru the sectioned tube for plug welds.

Attachment:
LCA crossbeam cut.JPG

...and, the tube welded in with Significant Blobbery. the ends got welded to their respective, um, ends, and the plug welds were completed.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190403_142056.jpg

An initial test fit with some straps I'd cut and drilled, prior to achieving a definitive solution...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190406_133850.jpg

Then once again, I sketched up some parts in the build notebook, and fabricated away.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190415_165242.jpg

On the bottom of the left page, there's a small notional sketch of how the mounts will go in. A flat longitudinal bottom strap, and then the bent and angled rack mount bracket. Strap material is 1.5 W X .125 mild steel.

Marking the steel for the angle bracket...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190415_165251.jpg

Forming the angle in the bending tool I'd created during the B-3 build...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190415_172909.jpg

one bottom strap in, and test fitting the drivers side angle bracket...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190406_170609.jpg

...and centering.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190406_201511.jpg

you'll notice that the stock Jetta rack bushing and U-clamp are gone from the passenger end of the rack. I want the rack solidly mounted - as is the Porsche 924 manual rack in the B-3 -and so had planned to make a passenger end mount and weld it to the steel tube on that end of the rack.

Meanwhile, test fitting all the brackets after marking the position of the drivers side, to maintain centering. In the interest of mostly full disclosure, the mounting holes on the passenger end bracket are in the wrong locations, and so that got made again, but for this picture and the subsequent several mocking-ups, it worked, well, with noticeable mintage.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190416_175905.jpg

Then began the process of creating the welded passenger side rack mount. I laid the rack out on a piece of 2 x 4 x .125 rectangular ERW, and was surprised to find that a piece of .75 wide tubing set the rack straight and level. "Well," thought I, "that was easy."

Attachment:
cameringo_20190416_183013.jpg

It only took three attempts before I got a good part, too!

Action shot of first FAIL. Looks like a good idea, right? NOT.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190417_155331.jpg

Notice that the cut, while nicely centered, is below the .75 scribed height mark. The pirate in me said "AHHRRG".

Attachment:
cameringo_20190417_160841.jpg

And then...

Hi. My name is Robb, and I hit the 12-pic limit.

Last edited by robbovius on April 24, 2019, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 24, 2019, 10:44 am 

So, anyway...

Fabricating the Second FAIL. I'd shortened the bracket, to increase bracket clearance on the bottom side (when finally mounted in the chassis), and realized I needed to offset the hole saw to not pass the .75 height limit. The First FAIL was cut in half, to act as a spacer in the setup whereby I could offset the hole saw.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190417_181314.jpg

It all was going exceedingly swimmingly, until I flipped the bracket over to cut the opposite side. I eyeballed - using Robb's Calibrated Eyeball (tm) - the scribed centerline to what I thought was the centerline of the drill bit...

Attachment:
Screenshot_20190424-093945_Video Player.jpg

...hmm. Apparently, the Eyeball needs recalibrating, eh?

Once more into the breach, My Friends!

Three tries and four parts later, I got a good one.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190417_185936.jpg

The Jag Special is getting the de-powered 1995 Jetta rack, and even though I still have several upper steering universals and sections of Jetta steering shaft (from the B-3 project) , I was missing the universal that attached the bottom of the steering shaft to the rack pinion input, and so spent a fun day at the boneyard scrounging parts, the goal being that bottom steering universal.

Turns out, mid-90s Jettas/Golfs are in short supply these days, but, the early/mid-2000s Cabbie uses the same platform, and so the same rack, and the local yard 15 minutes from my house had two of the things.

Attachment:
boneyard cabrio.JPG

The struggle was real, as the bottom steering universal is way down in there behind the transmission, below the power brake booster, enclosed in a rubber sheath...but, after much thrashing and swearage...

Uno...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190419_143920.jpg

Dos.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190419_143931.jpg

...and the stash of parts I added to the existing stash of parts. In a word, Gud Tymez. Okay, two words then.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190418_155641.jpg

Back to the rack mount mods...

So passenger side bracket rev 3.0 got it's mounting bolt holes drilled, and was prepped for addition of the .5 OD x .065 wall internal crush tubes...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190420_165159.jpg

...which were then welded in from the ends.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190420_173558.jpg

The bracket then got welded into place on the rack...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190421_121344.jpg

...And then, eight C-clamps later, the entire business got mocked up in place.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190421_173544.jpg

here, you can just see the center mark on the (re-fabbed) passenger-side bracket lining up with the bottom hole on the new solid-mount rack bracket. so far, good to go.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190421_173550.jpg

And, that's about where it sits right now. there's been a little bit of fine-fit massaging of the passenger side bracket, and I still need to mark and drill the holes on it, and then both brackets are getting 5/16-24 nuts welded on the back. once that's all sorted, I'll clamp it all back up, and weld it all together in place.

...and, well, then...

PostPosted: April 24, 2019, 12:17 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Why did you want the rack solid mounted? It looks like you just added a lot of work.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 24, 2019, 1:22 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Why did you want the rack solid mounted? It looks like you just added a lot of work.

Well, the B-3 steering is solidly mounted, and there's a noticeable immediacy to the steering response which I really like. Reminds me of the steering in my old race kart. I want to recreate that steering immediacy in the Jag Spl. Having two solid mounts locates the rack more positively, and with the four bolts it's a stronger connection in shear (which opposes the steering forces) than the original two bolt solid mount/rubber isolator setup that's stock in the Jetta.

Even though the Jag Spl will see mostly street use, I want it to feel like a sports racer. It's true that I added difficulty to the rack mounting work, but it'll be worth it when driving ;-)

As an aside, The original donor XJ6 rack mounted to the XJ6 front subframe with three bolts mounted in tension (in line with the steering rack movement) in large rubber bushings at both ends (two bolts at one end, and a single bolt at the other) . That and given that the Jag rack outweighs the Jetta rack by 20+ lbs (!) meant I was never going to use it.

PostPosted: April 24, 2019, 1:50 pm 

robbovius wrote:

Hi Rob, Just curious, what is the advantage of the bending fixture that you've got clamped in the vice over simply bending the material using just the vice jaws? Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: April 25, 2019, 10:21 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
robbovius wrote:

Hi Rob, Just curious, what is the advantage of the bending fixture that you've got clamped in the vice over simply bending the material using just the vice jaws? Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill.

Using the Bar-stock bending tool gives the inside of the bend a small radius, which keeps it from forming stress risers that can cause cracking.

I'd bent other parts on the B-3 just using the vice jaws, but those bends had some sharp indentations (you can see the bare jaw faces in a pic upthread of the passenger side steering rack mount - "passenger side bracket rev 3.0" - , which shows that the vice jaws have a crosshatch tooth pattern on the face, and a sharp edge at the top) which acted as stress risers, and caused cracking in some of the parts I made that way. Specifically, every drivers side mirror mount I made by just bending the 3/16 steel over in the bare vice jaws cracked and broke at the bend (that side of the B-3 body sees more vibes because of the exhaust mount down at the bottom, almost in line with the mirror mount);-) Lost a couple mirrors on the road that way.

I made that tool to form the top front shock mounts on the B-3

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 8:12 am 

The '95 Jetta steering rack is now connected to the '85m Jag XJ6 steering arms. Did I mention that the Jag Tie rod ends use the same 14 x 1.50 mm thread as the VW tie rods? yup, sure do.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190428_170533.jpg

But, I'm getting ahead of myself, a bit.

Firstly, I became a Fellow of the Goodwood Road and Racing Club.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190424_215024.jpg

Yes, quite.

To celebrate, I welded the 5/16-24 nuts to the undersides of rack mount straps...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190426_115027.jpg

...placed the rack in the chassis, and began tacking things into place.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190426_121457.jpg

Took the rack out, and welded everything up...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190426_130156.jpg

...and then re-installed the rack, was pleased to find the nuts hadn't moved around too much, and the bolts threaded in pretty well and tightened right down. The rack was, well, in. ;-) Excuse the slightly blurry picture.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190426_132223.jpg

You'll notice perhaps, in the top right of the above pic, that the tie rod extends beyond the steering arm tie rod boss by some amount. The Jetta tie rods needed to be shortened, and so I decided to shorten them by the same method with which I'd shortened the MGB steering arms on the B-3, and which have given me 17,000+ trouble free miles (including a Curbing that bent a rim. I have not babied them)...the caveat being this has worked well for me, if you want to try this on your own build, AMFYOYO applies. YRMV, etc. I know, welding on steering parts, OMFG! Right? It's less than 20% risk, trust me.

Anyway I made an effort to set the hubs parallel to the centerline of the chassis...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190426_155736.jpg

...and then. poking one of the Jag tie rod ends into the steering arm boss, thereby determined that I needed to cut 2.5 inches out of the Jetta tie rods.

So, they got marked...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190427_155244.jpg

...and then cut on the chop saw, and ground back about .5 inch to a blunt point. (Pic shows one completed, and the other ready for initial welding).

Attachment:
cameringo_20190427_163047.jpg

Clamped in the simple welding fixture - just a length of .75 aluminum angle with the outer edge ground flat in a couple places.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190427_163758.jpg

The began the process of laying up overlapping beads, starting at that blunt point mating, and continuing until the entire thickness of the tie rod had been rebuilt with weld. once started, you can't stop, have to keep going so that the weld area stays red/orange hot. I wear heavy glove so I can turn the tie rod, and clamp the MIG ground wire to the vice.

Eventually you wind up with this...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190427_164226.jpg

...and let it air cool. Not done yet!

Once cooled, the weld area gets ground smooth, and a 2.25 inch length of .75 OD x .083 wall DOM (with drilled holes for plug welds) is fabricated...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190428_123011.jpg

...and the 12 pic limit is hit with a hammer...

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 8:24 am 

where was I? oh right.

The reinforcing sleeve is hammered on (purposely tight fit)...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190428_133906.jpg

...and then begins the weld process, similar to the previous, except this time it's starts with using the oxy-acetylene cutting torch to heat the top part of the reinforcing sleeve area red hot (including the area within the plug weld holes), and then welding the top circumference, and plug welds, and then the rear circumference and plug welds.

Much like the initial re-weld and thickness buildup, once started you can't stop, as you need to maintain the red hot temperature during the whole process. only the top section needed the initial heating with the torch, since the welding itself moves the heat into the lower section.

Again heavy gloves, since the process requires loosening the vice to rotate the tie rod for access. But, eventually you wind up with this.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190428_124124.jpg

Beefy, no?

Then, let everything cool. Reassemble the tie rods to the rack, slide the bellows back on, mount the rack in the chassis, and spend an enjoyable few moments turning the rack input shaft and watching the spindles move back and forth.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190428_170533.jpg

Gud Tymez, yo.

...and then...

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 3:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Why didn't you just cut the end off and thread what remained?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 30, 2019, 7:35 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Why didn't you just cut the end off and thread what remained?

I did try that initially, but the shank on the tie rod reduces in diameter after the threaded end, and the threads I was able to cut (as a test, about .5 beyond the original threads on one of the tie rods) had thread peaks that were noticeably lower - about half the height - than the originals, and would not have engaged the internal threads on the tie rod end sufficiently, to my mind. Cutting new threads back the required 2.5 inches would have left me with only about .38 inch of original full height threads. Just didn't seem safest for tie rod end engagement.

Fortunately those Jetta tie rods I shortened are good - the inner spherical end is free of any play - and hardly any of the grease in the joint boiled off during the welding. I injected more once I was done.

One of the biggest surprises in the steering rack install project, was discovering that the Jag XJ6 rack used exactly the same metric thread on the tie rods - 14 x 1.50mm - as the Jetta. the Jag tie rod ends just threaded right on to the Jetta tie rods no problem. this, in the face of the fact that about every other fastener I've removed from the XJ6 has been standard sized. the rear end mounting bolts are 1/2-13, the UCA mounting bolts are 7/16-20, the radius arm pivot bolts are 7/16-20, the rear suspension tie plate bolts are 5/16-24...

...but the tie rod ends are metric.

;-)

It sorta fits perfectly in the G'raj with the B-3, which also uses a mix of standard and metric fasteners.

Edit: Oh, and the method you suggested was exactly how I shortened the Porsche 924 tie rods on the B-3. Those had a larger diameter which I had to file down, in fact

Post subject: Re: The XKMM Jag Special
PostPosted: May 14, 2019, 9:57 am 

...and then...

I decided that, rather than taking it all apart and flipping it over to complete some welding on the bottom (which can happen anytime really), it would be a whole lot more fun to connect the steering so that Pam an I can roll it down into the street and push it around making car noises.

So...

After completing the generalized fabulousness of the steering rack installation, I created a mockup driver's seat out of 1/2 inch plywood and placed it at the TLAR height. The spacing between the driveshaft tunnel segment and outer chassis tubes is 16.5 inches, so my mockup seat was cut at 16.0, with the bottom set at a modest 5 degrees, and the seatback following the 22 deg layback of the rear passenger area bulkhead.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190510_155559.jpg

I then beveled the seatback, since the square seatback looked stupid. Bloody well can't have that...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190510_155841.jpg

The seat bottom is 19.0- long and supports about 80% of my upper leg, but the flat surface was not particularly kewl, so I created a bit of 1.5 high wooden bolstering at the front (not shown) which raised the front of the seat surface and that angled back down towards the seat bottom (about 11.0 from the front) making the seat bottom more closely follow something resembling the anatomy of the human leg. it was actually sort of comfortable-ish.

So then I upholstered it.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190512_124415.jpg

You'll see in the picture a tube clamped across the passenger area side tubes just ahead of the seat. That is setting the distance of the bottom dashboard tube from the fwd seat edge. You may also notice that the B-3 seats seem to be aligned with the XKMM drivers seat mockup, and that is totally the case. The dashboard and steering wheel position in the B-3 are just about perfect so I thought mimicking that in the Jag Special would work out really well.

Familial design characteristics, etc.

Once I got that distance set, I cut some vertical tubes to set the dash bottom level with the other bulkheads, and built a bit of structure (at the marked distance) using 1.0 SQ .065 wall ERW...

Attachment:
cameringo_20190512_164630.jpg

FINALLY, I'm going to get to use that early '60s Spitfire banjo steering wheel I scored at the boneyard, that autumn day in 2010 on which I made the decision to use MGB front end parts and wire wheels on the B-3. and so I made a couple of mockup plates to hold the Spit wheel steering shaft, bored some 3/4 inch holes in them, and set about working out the steering wheel height relative to the seat.

Attachment:
cameringo_20190512_172510.jpg

TLAR, I think. And so it sits right now, waiting for Pam to take her turn sitting in the mockup seat and feeling things out.

As an aside, both Pam and I are of similar height, and, luckily, do not have to adjust the seats in our cars when we drive each others vehicles. I'm pretty comfortable with bolting the seats in, as they are in the B-3.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next