LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: August 24, 2019, 12:13 pm 

horchoha wrote:

I don't believe it! It's going already. It even sounds like an old I-Tal-Yun car.

Congrats!

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 29, 2019, 9:12 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I don't believe it! It's going already. It even sounds like an old I-Tal-Yun car.

Thanks Lonnie, appreciated
GonzoRacer wrote:
Those two statements alone could start a whole thread of bad jokes...

Or an x-rated build thread :rofl:

So, been laid up with a friggin' bad back. Sucks. Today I broke down and put on my back brace.
Made it out to the shop today even it was just to stand around and scratch. Then I said to myself 'hey self, you can stand in front of the lathe, no bending over there.
So a while back I bought a catch can, as this engine most likely had a draft tube to evacuate the crankcase fumes.
Attachment:
IMG_5501.jpg

I machined an aluminum adapter that snuggly fit into the valve cover.
Attachment:
IMG_5502.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5503.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5504.jpg

Mounted the catch can, see black picture. Plumbed it all in. Don't know if I'm sold on the blue hose but it works for now.
Attachment:
IMG_5496.jpg

Then I took a video of engine start up and idle. I'm working on mapping the fuel and ignition curves, but I figure I'm pretty close. Once I nail the figures down, I'll hook up my laptop and download the info to the points and carb, thats if I can find the download port :rofl:
What you hear when I first key the ignition is the rad fan. Don't mind the wiring, it's not permanent.
https://youtu.be/cmWQ0LnWFrs

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 30, 2019, 7:11 am 
We are Slotus!

Sorry to hear about your back, Bro... But looks like you got outside for some "shop therapy" in spite of it all. Good on ya!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 31, 2019, 7:34 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Interesting choice of breather (there are so many designs out there). If you find the hose hardening up from hot oil contact, J30R7 (typical carb fuel hose) is a good choice for hot oil vapor. R6 is lower temp range, R8 is highest temp for 50 psi or less, though actual psi limit is tied to hose size (bigger hose, less psi capacity).

If the can fills up quickly, consider tapping a return into the oil pan where the can is at least a foot above the return and add a check valve inline.

On engines with excessive blowby, I've used quart oil bottles mounted high in the compartment with a solder iron to perforate the top and retain the pcv (though I see you have only one hole in the valve cover). There is enough space for the air to escape and the oil to drain back (1/2 inch hose). Works great. It is similar to the empi vw bug breather design that is easy to fab. It is a box with a hose in the bottom, a drilled baffle plate or fine hardware cloth inside an inch off the bottom, a strip of upholstery foam above that, and a lid that over laps the sides to keep dirt out but has a gap so it can vent.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 6, 2019, 12:12 am 

Hi JD, no need to feel sorry for an old coyote like me. Like a fool I believed my body was invincible until about 15 years ago, ha!
I've had on and off back issues since my late 20's, it's part of my life.
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
If you find the hose hardening up from hot oil contact, J30R7 (typical carb fuel hose) is a good choice for hot oil vapor.

Hey Mv8, the hose is braided and is fairly soft. Almost feels like silicon, but it's not.
Had a friggin relapse with my friggin back this evening. Prior to this evening I felt like I was 85% healed :BH:
Anyhoo I did some work to the interior since the last progress post. Primed and rubberized. I had to jump the gun here as the new metal was starting to show signs of humidity rust and I didn't want to leave it exposed over the winter. I still need to rework the dash but I'll throw some towels down so save the new painted cabin metal from looking used and abused.
The paint scheme on this car will be Beige/Creme' interior/body and black contrasting fenders.
Attachment:
IMG_5517.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5518.jpg

I then opened up some spaghetti :lol: Going to lay out a wiring schematic for the car on paper, which is about all can can do with this friggin bad back :ack:
Attachment:
IMG_5516.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 6, 2019, 2:09 pm 

Hey Perry, amazing looking build, attention to detail and quality are, as usual, exemplary! Where did you source your instruments from? I'm a little further South than you in windy Lethbridge! I'd love some custom Speedhut gauges but don't know if I can afford the current exchange rate :cry:

More.....more.....more.....too much take it away.

PostPosted: September 6, 2019, 2:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The paint scheme on this car will be Beige/Creme' interior/body and black contrasting fenders.
What??? No purple??? No green??? No purple and green??? No flames??? No stripes??? Geeze, how bland can ya get... :ack:

OK, OK put that damn big pipe wrench down... I wuz just kiddin... :mrgreen:

And TGIF! :cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 7, 2019, 2:34 am 

jinca wrote:
amazing looking build, attention to detail and quality are, as usual, exemplary! Where did you source your instruments from?

Thanks a bunch jinca, the GPS speedo was from Ebay and the temp, volt, oil, and gas gauges from Amazon. No $$$ big name instruments :lol:

GonzoRacer wrote:
OK, OK put that damn big pipe wrench down... I wuz just kiddin...

You're safe for now JD, with my back I wouldn't think of picking up a pipe wrench right now :rofl:

Well spent the day confined to the house, recliner, heating pad, back brace, climbing walls, BUT the back is much better today.
Did some chicken scratching (and other scratching) today, some pics.
Attachment:
IMG_5519.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5520.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5521.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5522.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5523.jpg

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 7, 2019, 3:04 am 

Dang Perry! Good way to turn down time into productivity. I envy your electrical diagramming skills. Mine are a mess.

Get better quick. People are hanging on this thread.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 7, 2019, 6:50 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I’m guessing the breather hose is pvc but there a few different things they could be. Whatever they are, I’m sure they will work for a while.

I found an ice/gel pack off/on 15 minutes in a towel is a lot better than the heating pad for reducing inflammation. Heating pad feels good but just aggravates the situation imho.

For my cooling fan low and high speeds, I’m using the ac switch and thermal switch in parallel (isolated by a diode between the ac sw and therm sw to act independently) to ground the control side of the relay for each fan relay, with an off temp higher than the thermostat opening temp. I’m guessing you are running a 180f stat so a 200on/185off should work well with a single speed fan. Here is one cheap to get in Canada (available cheaper still, direct from a china in a month or so): https://www.ebay.com/itm/185-200-Degree ... Swz3lZeE96

Looks like that fan will pull a lot of amps. Guessing again you have a zuki 55amp alt and the fuel; pump pulls about 4a. No sitting in traffic in the rain at night! For troubleshooting charging, I use a cheap digital volt meter that plugs into the cigar lighter or run jumpers off the batt to a dvm in the car. It’s interesting to see how much volts fluctuate real time with the alt trying to keep up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-12-24V-LED ... SwPtBcdRZr

Nevermind. Looks like you are putting in a voltmeter in the triple gauge set.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 7, 2019, 9:32 am 

Ah Ha! The secret is out now about why your projects go so smoothly and turn out so well now that you've published those diagrams and ledger sheets, Perry. You're freakin' organized! No fair! You've got to be a bubbling Locost klutz like JD and I if you want to hang out here.

I'm very sorry to hear about your back. Nothing is more frustrating than having something you want to accomplish and then not being able to (at least temporarily) do it because of a physical condition.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 7, 2019, 11:22 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Dang Perry! Good way to turn down time into productivity. I envy your electrical diagramming skills.

Thanks Larry! Like I said, keeps me from climbing the walls :lol: (and bugging wifie).
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Looks like that fan will pull a lot of amps. Guessing again you have a zuki 55amp alt and the fuel; pump pulls about 4a

Hey MV8, I wired the fan to come on as soon as the key is on (have the same set up in two outta the three 7's I've built). You've peaked my interest though, I'll clamp my DC amp meter on it to see what it's pulling, it's a VW Jetta cooling fan. The alt is a 75A Toyota, the fuel pump is mechanical.
Lonnie-S wrote:
Ah Ha! The secret is out now about why your projects go so smoothly and turn out so well now that you've published those diagrams and ledger sheets, Perry. You're freakin' organized! No fair! You've got to be a bubbling Locost klutz like JD and I if you want to hang out here.

Oh Lonnie if you only knew how wrong you are :lol: I'm just pushing along here because we leave for DHS in 40 days :headbang:

PostPosted: September 8, 2019, 8:22 am 

Perry " I wired the fan to come on as soon as the key is on" I would bet that 80% of the time the fan is not needed if the vehicle is actually moving. If my car is moving the fan never comes on, with a 200* thermos switch in series with a relay. A single fan will draw from 8 to 12 amps, dual fans up to 25 amps. I have a smaller then stock alternator which put out mid 40's amps, and it always has been able to keep up with the charging requirements of the system. Your system should have more then enough beans to keep up a single fan. In fact you my want to consider adding a relay for the fan. Really nice build and outstanding craftmanship :cheers: Davew

PostPosted: September 9, 2019, 7:46 am 

davew wrote:
In fact you my want to consider adding a relay for the fan. Really nice build and outstanding craftmanship Davew

Yes I am using a relay for fan operation. Thanks Davew

PostPosted: September 9, 2019, 4:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
You've got to be a bubbling Locost klutz like JD and I if you want to hang out here.
HEY!!! I resemble that remark! :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next