LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Justin's Vicky
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 7:56 am 

Well, you never get as much done as you hope to, but it was a good, productive weekend. Made the basic uprights for the rear. Laid out the pushrod, rocker, and coilover locations. I have enough room to get a 16" coilover in, so a motion ratio of up to 2:1 is feasable. We got the rear bulkhead tacked into place for some reference points. I looked at the positioning of the differential, and I did some quick (When will I ever use this?) geometry, and found that the cv joints were at a 12* forward angle, probably as much or more on the elevation. I think the standard max angle on these is about 22*. Rather than find out down the road that I'll be spitting cv joints out on a regular basis, I decided to move the differential back about 2". Now the angle is about 3* or 4* back, and maybe 6* in elevation. It means we'll have to cut the fuel tank down by two inches, but that's easier than redoing the rear after the car is finished. So I worked with Junior making a couple of cross members and brac*ets to locate the differential. Showed him how to lay out the distances and center lines for the holes, and had him mark them, drill them, and cut them. He had a good run of brac*ets overall. Also got Squared the first cross member in the chassis. Tonight we will tack both forward top corners of the brac*ets, remove the positioning "fixture", then rotate the cross member and brac*ets so the pinion angle is about 1* up. Then tack the bottoms of the brac*ets, remove the cross member, and weld the brac*ets solid. Then, we can bolt the crossmember to the differential, and raise it up into the brac*ets. From that point, we can finish the forward cross member for the nose of the differential, and also make a cross member for the rear cover support.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 7, 2018, 11:19 pm 

Took one last trip to Vsusp today, and I have some good numbers, so I set them in stone, and ordered the suspension components. Looks like I can use off the shelf Speedway MII lower control arms (5/8" Narrower), 7-3/4" Speedway adjustable upper control arms, Speedway MII 2" dropped spindles. It all gives me a good ride height, and a front track of 53.25". Should have plenty of room for a set of 225/45/17 wheels (7" wide), and still keep them inside the wheel well without widening the fenders. May possibly get a set of 275/40/18 (8" to 10" wide) out back. Now, if these pesky customers would stop calling so much to get some work done..... :roll:

PostPosted: February 24, 2018, 11:36 am 

Christmas in February! Speedway delivered the spindles, rod ends, front upper control arms, etc. Monday we can begin putting the front suspension together! Woo Hoo!

PostPosted: February 25, 2018, 1:31 am 
The voice of reason

Christmas in February is great! Imagine how boring most people's lives are! :cheers:

PostPosted: February 28, 2018, 5:31 am 

Shot myself in the foot. Again. When I ordered the ball joints, the upper is a bolt in Chevy Truck joint, with the MII size and taper. The lowers usually use the old Mopar K772 upper ball joint. It looks like that is not a problem, as NASCAR used these in the lower position for years without mishap. In the words of JD, "Howsumever", I managed to have a brain fart and ordered the Mopar K727 LOWER joint. Same taper, but much larger. Ordered two of the correct ones, they will be here tomorrow. On the upside, I set the front "clip" up on the acorn platen and clamped the upper attachment plates in place, bolted the control arms in place, and got a better idea how this is going to play out. So far, so good. Made some tweaks to Vsusp based on the mockup, and got my front track down to 50". I think I'll be able to keep the front wheels in the fenders, and still have an 8" rim with some decent back spacing for appearance. Looks like JT and I will be busy this weekend!

PostPosted: March 9, 2018, 7:58 am 

Spent some time out it the 'Cave this week on the front suspension. Finally got the correct collars for the lower ball joints. Fabbed up the cross member out of two pieces of 2" x 4" x 1/8" structural HRS. Laid out for the lca pivots, and punched them out with the Hougan. Made up two reinforcing plates, 1/4" thick, to pick up the lca sleeves and reinforce the crossmember. That gives me 3/8" total thickness, and with the surface area, should make for a damn secure pivot point. Cut the pivot sleeves, two initial tubes for the lca's. Threaded the lca tubes, and screwed in two of the rod ends. Notched the uca mounting plate to clear the forward cross member, set it for 4* anti-dive, 6* caster, and clamped it in place. Mocked the MII spindles in place and checked out how it all fits up. We'll get everything tacked up today. Tomorrow the chassis heads over to Morris County Vo-Tech for "Makers Day". I had hoped to have both the front and rear suspensions mocked in place, but with the weather and work, that just didn't happen. We'll just get some good heavy tacks on the front suspension at this point, because we need to set the body on the frame to make sure the location "Looks Right" in the wheel well with the wheel and tire combo we are getting.

I also found a couple of tweaks in Vsusp that gave me what I think should be about as good as it is going to get, stuffing this suspension in the confines we have.
I have -2.64" of Camber gain in 2" of bump, and 1.368* in 3* of roll. Roll Center changes by a total of .012" in 3* of roll

https://tinyurl.com/y7rpx4bd

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 15, 2018, 7:35 pm 

Things just be chugging along!

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 6:22 pm 

Got some chassis time in in June. Had to revamp the crossmembers because I forgot that the floor sits flush to the chassis, and a nice hot moofler and fiberglass floor in contact with each other is no Bueno! So I c-notched two new crossmembers, dropped them to leave a 2" clearance to the exhaust, and tacked them in. Then I made up the two inner reinforcements. Should make this sucker nice and stiff from a torsional perspective.
And so much like the locost, sometimes the decisions you make early on box you in later on. The decision to go IRS is one. I just cannot work out a viable control arm setup that lets me keep the back seat a back seat. Finally dawned on me that with JT being 6'5", if I give him enough leg room, the back seat is moot anyway. So we will do whatever we need to to get the control arms and pushrods where they need to be, and if we end up with a small package shelf, then so be it. Form will follow function. At least it will once the 'ol arm heals! Behold, one Ruptured Bicep! Newly repaired with a nice lightweight (though not locost) Titanium Bolt! Should be out of the cast in another two weeks, six months of rehab after that. Fabrication, however, will commence five minutes after the cast comes off. It's only been a week since surgery, and I'm going stir crazy!

Last edited by Dismantalus on July 12, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 10, 2018, 7:57 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
I had only the smallest idea of how bad a Street Beast was. I had been checking them out when they were available new and even knew a guy who bought one, but never went and looked at it in person. You guys are making fabulous progress.