LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 7:50 am 

BHR

This is from the 1st page of this thread.

Just for information, TRF posted in one of their e-mails recently that they were taking orders for 2019 from BMH for the complete MG roadster and GT bodies. Starting price of around $ 15 K. That is if you want to start with a clean slate.

Also would like to see some one do a Sebring GT

Red

PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 8:00 am 

I've watched that video several times. It helps to show what order they are assembled, even if I don't follow it for the sills.

They offer many versions of the new bodies, depending on the year being replaced. £12,993.75 is the current cost for a GT shell like mine. Subtract 20% for eliminating the VAT and multiply by 1.24(today's exchange rate). Figure at least $15,000 USD after VAT adjustment, exchange conversion and shipping. That gets a shell with doors, a bonnet and a hatch. Too rich for my blood. Besides, where is the challenge, and what have I learned with fresh metal?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 3:46 pm 

Hi there Chuck,

Those shells are impressive though costly. If you had one of those shells you would wind up with a new car on the outside with an old on the inside. If it were I I would follow your plan.

Cheers!

PostPosted: July 16, 2019, 4:18 pm 

Wow, prices have jumped in the last 10 years. The shop I used to work at brought in a B roadster shell in 2009 and I recall the customer ended up paying something like $12k Canadian. We managed to subsidize the shipping by having a bunch of larger items packed inside the shell, so shipping wasn't as bad as it could have been. Looking at Moss Europe's website, a new shell is north of £ 11,600 without shipping.

PostPosted: July 17, 2019, 4:38 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

When you can't get out in the shop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huoEMqq ... GXT1gryCL-

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 18, 2019, 10:36 pm 

Nice MV8. Thanks

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 18, 2019, 11:09 pm 

More life! We spent 3 days watching the grandkids (ages 7 months and 25 months) while Mom and Dad take a much needed break. That will wear a person out, I guarantee!

I posted recently elsewhere that my lawn tractor bit the dust, after 14 yrs it finally cracked the engine case. This is a common problem with the Kohler Courage single cylinder engines. I'm thankful I got that much service out of it before it died. I searched for the replacement mower and today purchased it. In hopes to get a few bucks more than scrap value out of the old Cub Cadet, I decided to try the JB-Weld fix. What have I got to lose? I pulled the ancillary parts off the engine and removed the engine top plate. I traced the path of the crack, then used a rotary bur in my Dremel to groove the case following the crack. Cleaned it all up with Brake Cleaner. Then mixed up the JB and applied it to fill the groove completely, and then some. I am now awaiting it to fully cure, then tomorrow I'll file down the glob on the mating surface and reassemble. That will take another hour or so,plus time waiting for the RTV gasket sealer to cure. Then another hour to tighten the top cover and reassemble the rest. My hope is that the JB will hold until I can get the top plate bolted and torqued in place preventing any shifting before it fails. This should control the leak. If I'm lucky, it will last through at least a few heat cycles.

Not to worry. I will disclose this to any serious potential buyer.

Attachment:
kohler a.JPG
Attachment:
kohler b.JPG
Attachment:
kohler c.JPG
Attachment:
kohler d.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rx7locost on December 16, 2019, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 5:03 am 

As said Chuck, nothing to lose.
As an added measure you could dump in some of the many types of engine oil sealers that are out there, they're not that expensive.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 19, 2019, 9:18 pm 

Well, the lawn mower repair was not to be. It failed almost immediately.

I decided to sell cheap it to just get rid of it quickly. I placed ads on both Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, $125 firm. I had a phone call within minutes. He wanted it. I told him 1st with cash gets it. He didn't want to hook up his trailer and drive here only to find it sold. I told him I'd hold it for about an hour. By the time we got off the phone, I had another phone call and 3 messages from Facebook. I guess I was listing it too low. But WTH, it is now gone and the space is ready for the delivery of the new JD mower on Sunday. That's a good thing. At least now I should have time to work on the MG. Yeah, right :roll: At least I won't have that mower as an excuse.

Excessive Heat Warning here in Chicago burbs today and tomorrow. Supposed to be 110-115 "feels-like" degrees. No fun in the garage.

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 6:52 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I bought a 90 eagle talon awd about 20 years ago. The shifter was flopping back and forth with throttle application in 5th. The 5th gear was on the end of the shaft right behind the side cover which was aluminum. The retaining nut for 5th had a collar that needed to be dented to engage the slot in the shaft to lock the nut but it was not dented enough so it backed off, allowing 5th to smack the cover, cracking the cover and leaking oil. JB weld and brake clean worked great on that repair and never had another issue with it.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 8:23 am 

MV8, I think this is the first time that JB Weld did not do the job for me. I use it to modify a thermostat housing on my Locost. It was a rotating Chevy small block housing that I modified the base on to fit the rotary engine bolt pattern. Never a problem. The stuff is amazing. Oh well! There is always a first.

14 years was a good run. The engine had over 590 hrs on it, outstanding for this POS Kohler Courage engine. It owed me nothing. I had thought about tearing the whole engine down and TIG welding it. I ended up deciding I've simply had enough and did not want to waste any more time with it.

PostPosted: July 20, 2019, 11:47 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I ended up deciding I've simply had enough and did not want to waste any more time with it.
Yeah, don't blame ya there... I mean, I know none of us are as young as we used to be, but isn't it just "old guys" that are so attached to their lawn mowers??? Now, git back to work on the MGB-GT!!! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and Knee High in the Front Yard-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 10:22 am 

The never ending story, I gotta vent here, but it has a happy ending.

I looked at a replacement mower at Lowe's last Wednesday. It was one that had been returned with 0.7 hrs on the clock due to a bad front wheel/tire. That had been replaced. It was marked down 20%. That's a pretty good deal IMO. I tried to get a better price but no deal. I read the Warranty terms and it appears that it could be transferred from the original owner upon going to a JD dealer and then "approval" by John Deere corporate. Wanting to be sure I could get the warranty, I called J Deere and they asked for the s/n. Turns out the previous owner did not register it. All I have to do is go online and register it from the comfort of my own recliner. I would get the regular warranty based on the date that I purchase it. Great!

Take my wife back on Thursday to approve of my selection since she mows as much as I do. Houston, we have agreement! Then talked to the sales person again and said if they can deliver it at no charge, we'll do the deal. The salesperson had to check since it was being sold as a "used" mower. She got confirmation they could do the delivery. Went thru several "issues" in setting up the sales in the computer and the delivery for today (Sunday). Finally it was done. I would get a call Sat night to confirm delivery. All I had to do was wait for delivery confirmation call. No call!

I called this morning to confirm the delivery and there were a lot of Ummmm's and Ahhh's. The person said I'll have to have someone call you. An hour or so later I get a returned call. It seems that the delivery had not been set up in the system properly. It wasn't on the delivery truck for today. Even worse, they sold my barely used, discounted mower to someone else on Saturday! WTF? They offered to either sell me a new one, same model, from their existing stock or order me a new one which would take about 10 days to get from the warehouse. Either one, my choice, for the same discounted price, Well, duh! I chose the one from their stock.

I just received a PDF of the transaction of "returning" the one mower and the "purchase" of the new 2nd one including a delivery fee of 0 dollars. I am scheduled for delivery of my new tractor tomorrow. I supposed to get an automated call tonight confirming the delivery time. Yeah, We'll see if that happens. My fingers are crossed. I need to mow.

Yesterday, I picked up a lightly used bagger off of craigslist that is needed for leaf control this fall. I also set listings on both Facebook and Craigslist to sell the bagger from my Cub Cadet.

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 8:44 pm 

Still off topic: I got my new mower. The first thing I did was to fit the used bagger onto the new mower - Check! I promptly went on to mow and bag the lawn - Check! Then I modified the mower so that I don't have to press that stupid button to preve4ntallow mowing in reverse. Next up is to defeat the seat engine kill switch.

Here it is in all its glory. No more posts on mowers, I promise.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rx7locost on December 16, 2019, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 11:16 pm 

Looking good Chuck! Best mower I ever had was a JD. Would mow circles around my friends Honda and the piece of crap I bought thinking the JD needed hore HP. It didn't.

You done good and you're going to be happy with it.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next