LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 1:25 am 

I think I will do the doors. What's a little more glass work at this point. :) :)

I built a Cobra in the past and am on a Cobra forum. I've been posting the build there too. One of the members just sent me his photo shop of the car. I love it. He gave me permission to use it.

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 1:58 am 

Well, looking at that rendering it is clear you need to go with the flush gas filler.
Ow! My Hair!

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 7:39 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looks great with realistic fender gaps! I'd go with the round 60s bullet style mirrors.

I know a project has been sitting too long when I find my old hair brushes inside. :roll:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 2:58 pm 

I have the bullet style mirrors ready to go! :)

I'm mocking up side pieces for the cockpit. I'll make them for each side then make molds and then the final parts. These will get glassed in from the top of the frame to the inside of the body skins. This makes more shoulder and arm room. The skin can be cut, reinforced and then used for the half door. This gets the step over to 20 inches.

PostPosted: January 12, 2019, 4:29 pm 

It's been a slow week of working on the car. It took me 4 hours to fabricate 4 brackets to mount the side pipes. Very frustrating!

This morning I weighed the car. I have racing scales to do that with. At this point it's 1624 lbs. This includes: body, frame, SBC with vortec iron heads, standard flywheel, bell housing, Richmond T 10 trans, driveshaft, complete suspension, Diff, starter, alternator, carb, intake, distributor, wires, radiator hoses, radiator, cooling fan, shocks, springs, water pump, shifter, e brake, rotors, calipers, pads, windshield, seats, seat belts, fuel pump, fuel tank, wheels, tires, headers, side pipes, pedals, steering.

What it needs: fluids, aluminum skins, upholstery, gauges, switches, sun visors, heater, defroster, wiring, paint, windshield wipers.

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 11:52 am 

Hi Stinger, Your build looks great.

I am new to the site, hopefully I will build something similar some day. For now I have all I can handle with a couple of old hotrods.

I might have missed it, but what type of rear axle and rear suspension are you using?

I was a little surprised to see you had a driveshaft, I was expecting to see a cheetah like single ujoint from slip yoke to irs axle.

All the best!

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 6:36 pm 

stinger wrote:
It's been a slow week of working on the car. It took me 4 hours to fabricate 4 brackets to mount the side pipes. Very frustrating!

This morning I weighed the car. I have racing scales to do that with. At this point it's 1624 lbs. This includes: body, frame, SBC with vortec iron heads, standard flywheel, bell housing, Richmond T 10 trans, driveshaft, complete suspension, Diff, starter, alternator, carb, intake, distributor, wires, radiator hoses, radiator, cooling fan, shocks, springs, water pump, shifter, e brake, rotors, calipers, pads, windshield, seats, seat belts, fuel pump, fuel tank, wheels, tires, headers, side pipes, pedals, steering.

What it needs: fluids, aluminum skins, upholstery, gauges, switches, sun visors, heater, defroster, wiring, paint, windshield wipers.

I love this car... The photoshop the guy did for you is so cool :wink:

..so maybe wet and fully dressed out you'll be at 1700-1750#? What a riot this will be :lol:

Keep the updates coming.. it will be cool to see one of these hit the streets soon :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 8:08 pm 

BobbyB wrote:
Hi Stinger, Your build looks great.

I am new to the site, hopefully I will build something similar some day. For now I have all I can handle with a couple of old hotrods.

I might have missed it, but what type of rear axle and rear suspension are you using?

I was a little surprised to see you had a driveshaft, I was expecting to see a cheetah like single ujoint from slip yoke to irs axle.

All the best!

Thank you BobbyB. I'm using C4 Corvette (84-96) suspension. There wasn't anyway that I could sit as low in the car or be comfortable in it, if I didn't run a driveshaft and move the engine further forward than the Cheetah.

Thanks ccrunner. I'm happy with the weight. I think for a full body car it's pretty good. I think that it could be built about 150lbs lighter by using an LS engine, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft.

I haven't been in the shop for awhile. Its been seriously cold in the Adirondacks of NY. My shop is under ice and snow. I'm seriously thinking of going to Florida or Arizona for the rest of the winter. If at all possible, that this is my last winter in the cold.

PostPosted: January 25, 2019, 2:32 pm 

Stinger, what is the wheel base of your car? Track width?

I hope you make it out of the cold soon.

PostPosted: January 27, 2019, 3:40 pm 

The wheelbase is 93 inches. The track varied slightly over the years depending on wheel offsets. The most common listed is 59.6 front and 60.4 rear. The C4 body width at the front wheel arches is 70inches. At the rear is 71 inches. (If memory is correct). My body is 71inches wide at the front and 75inches at the rear.

PostPosted: January 28, 2019, 7:44 am 
We are Slotus!

stinger wrote:
My body is 71 inches wide at the front and 75 inches at the rear.
Yep, so is mine... Oh, wait... You meant your CAR Body... Sorry, never mind. I'll get me hat on the way out... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 28, 2019, 9:08 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: April 6, 2019, 12:05 pm 

It's been a long, hard winter. My wife and I have been taking car of our respective Mothers. Both are having issues. I continue to have health issues. It's getting harder to work in my shop.

My Trademark for Chesnut Wildcat has been denied. This despite my Trademark attorney assuring me that it would be approved. Now he wants more money to argue for it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I just started back on my build this week. I have managed to finish welding the second frame, cut and test fit aluminum panels, and paint it. I'm going to start on assembly tomorrow.

PostPosted: April 6, 2019, 1:02 pm 

Looks like your making solid progress when you've had the time. Hope your mother(s) find healing and comfort.

Must be frustration with the patent. If the venture side of this project hits a speedbump, then it continues to be a great hobby. Keep at er, this build is still moving at a fast pace!!.

Andrew

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 10:48 am 

Thank you Andrew.

I have finished the aluminum work. Well, almost finished. There are a couple of details to wrap it up.

In the next couple of days I'll be cleaning parts and painting them. Then assembly! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next