LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thunderbusamidgetbird!
PostPosted: March 8, 2020, 11:24 pm 

Officially kicking off my first ever build thread! What could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:

Executive summary:
For those that want just the highlights the plan in general is: 1972 MG Midget, Suzuki Hayabusa engine (gen 1), Miata based suspension geometry and bits with Yamaha R1 shocks, a potentially awesome reverse gear solution, IRS like what would be in a Monster Miata (Thunderbird 7.5 or MkVIII 8.8 ), and keep it under 1500 lbs wet without driver.

Background:
I did Baja SAE in college and since it's limited to only 10HP naturally everyone wants to cram a motorcycle engine in one. Formula SAE gets to do that but my school didn't have Formula. So pretty much since then I've wanted to cram a motorcycle engine into something. I have a good bit of experience as an offroader and this is my very first street oriented project. :headbang:

The original plan was a fenderles hotrod VW Bug with an R1 engine (had one laying around already). But I couldn't live with the Bug suspension. MG Midgets actually have decent suspension from the factory and are tiny and light. I also decided that a Hayabusa engine was going to be the way to go. So then the plan was 1) get Midget 2) stuff Hayabusa engine.

So I started down that road and naturally things got out of hand. I then had plans to "just fit" front and rear Miata sub frames to the Midget unibody and somewhere along the way I basically cut the entire car apart and am now more or less building an entire custom frame inside the body with custom "sort of" Miata suspension and a very mixed bag of drivetrain parts. BUT I believe it will definitely embody the hotrod spirit. 8)

I actually bought the Midget back in October 2016. I was on crutches at the time and didn't work on it much. Between then and now I also spent about a year working on my 4Runner (offroader/rock crawler) and several months building a table for my wife. But I've made some slow progress and will bring everyone up to speed on where I am now. I plan to move quicker on it now hopefully and would like to have a rolling chassis by the end of this summer. In the Southeast that gives me most of the rest of this year. :-D

References:
-I took a lot of inspiration from Matt Brown AKA Superfastmatt and his Honda S600 with a CBR1000 engine.
http://www.superfastmatt.com/

-Since I'm building a Midget, naturally Nocones Midget has been an inspiration as well. I believe mine will end up looking similar to his in the fact it will have ridiculous (awesome) fender flares.

-Also, ccrunner's N600 build thread was an excellent read as well. Spoiler alert: he and I may have similar ideas for a reverse gear. But more on that later.

-And lastly, does anyone watch Futurama? I don't either. But I've seen exactly one clip from the show that was really funny about the Ford Thundercougarfalconbird. Anyway, I found it quite humorous and thus the name of this build thread.

And now onto the first couple of pictures! It'll take several posts to bring this up to speed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 8:41 am 

Welcome! This looks like it will be fun. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 9:24 am 

Welcome :mrgreen:

Is it just me, or are there a lot of MG based cars being built here lately? :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 10:56 am 

Since you've got a round wheel arch Midget, be on the lookout for a reasonably priced Bugeye bonnet.

You can essentially end up with a crazy fast bugeye with a boot. :thmbsup:

I couldn't find a RWA shell when I was building my FrankenSprite.
Attachment:
frankensprite left rear.JPG

Attachment:
frankensprite front.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 11:07 am 

Tommy. That is too funny. I had one just like it, although not in as good condition. Mine was a '63 MKII Sprite with a MK1 bonnet. Paid $300 for it back in the early 80's. Got it running and sold it for $500. If I only had it now, it might be worth, what? $1,000 for the bonnet alone?

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 11:54 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Tommy. That is too funny. I had one just like it, although not in as good condition. Mine was a '63 MKII Sprite with a MK1 bonnet. Paid $300 for it back in the early 80's. Got it running and sold it for $500. If I only had it now, it might be worth, what? $1,000 for the bonnet alone?

About a grand for a bonnet. There's a guy here locally that has a solid one for $800 / ono. I've been on the lookout for a RWA shell again...

Mine came out of a barn for $150. Non matching front fenders, riddled with rust, seized late model 1500 motor and somewhat questionable title...
Attachment:
scan0001.jpg

@ Newt. Sorry for the thread hijack. Welcome to the nut house.
Let us know where you are and let me know in particular what you plan to do with the Spridget running gear...

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 2:37 pm 

Thanks everyone!

TooBusy wrote:
Since you've got a round wheel arch Midget, be on the lookout for a reasonably priced Bugeye bonnet.

You can essentially end up with a crazy fast bugeye with a boot. :thmbsup:

I couldn't find a RWA shell when I was building my FrankenSprite.

I'll be honest, I can't stand the way the bugeye bonnets look. :ack: :D I got a fiberglass hood to go on mine.

TooBusy wrote:
rx7locost wrote:

@ Newt. Sorry for the thread hijack. Welcome to the nut house.
Let us know where you are and let me know in particular what you plan to do with the Spridget running gear...

I don't have any running gear left. Sold pretty much everything except the body, windshield, etc.

So along those lines, I bought the Midget for $600. Engine was out of it, had some body damage, and it needed some rust repair. Sold everything I didn't plan to use and actually made money. I bought a used front passenger fender (mine was crumpled), a fiberglass hood and front valence and still made money on it. I bought an entire running Miata (with the worst engine knock I've ever heard) for $400, kept what I wanted, sold the rest, and made about $100. Bought the Hayabusa for $2500, kept anything the engine needed to run and sold the rolling chassis for $700. So including some other things I'm under $2400 with all my major components purchased.

Below you can see how much wider the Miata is than the Midget and the last picture is closer to the ride height I want to end up at. I want to say that is sitting at about 5-6", but I'm going to end up around 4" off the ground. Haven't figured out how to rotate some of those pictures yet...

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 8:13 am 

Once I had the Miata subframes out I realized mounting those to the Midget probably wasn't the way to go. So I made some negative suspension jig things with the intent to set them under the car and build from the Midget out to the jigs. Since this is still in retrospect I'll just go ahead and say this is still not what I ended up doing.

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 9:13 am 

Can't stand the look of a Bugeye.... Blashphemy

C'mon guys get the torches and pitchforks. It's time to burn this rascal.

Kidding. It's not a look everyone likes.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 9:17 am 

TooBusy wrote:
Can't stand the look of a Bugeye.... Blashphemy

C'mon guys get the torches and pitchforks. It's time to burn this rascal.

Kidding. It's not a look everyone likes.

Haha! To each his own. If I come across a bugeye bonnet I will definitely let you know.

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 11:31 am 

If you haven't seen it yet, you may find some ideas/help here on ccrunner's pages. He has been there and done that putting Miata suspension in a smaller Honda N600. He used a VFR600 engine though. His is an internationally recognized build I might add.

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewto ... 2&start=60

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 12:01 pm 

He's also doing Miata based suspension the the Berkley. A more radical approach than the Honda.

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 12:05 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
If you haven't seen it yet, you may find some ideas/help here on ccrunner's pages. He has been there and done that putting Miata suspension in a smaller Honda N600. He used a VFR600 engine though. His is an internationally recognized build I might add.

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewto ... 2&start=60

Oh yes, I've read it first page to the last. He and I have a similar idea for reverse gear which I'll get to eventually!

TooBusy wrote:
He's also doing Miata based suspension the the Berkley. A more radical approach than the Honda.

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

I've been keeping up with his Berkley as well. Pretty neat little car. Hadn't heard of it before.

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 12:33 pm 

Once I realized I was going to build a frame for it, I tacked some braces in and out came the sawzall, grinder, and plasma cutter.

PostPosted: March 10, 2020, 12:40 pm 

The inside of the passenger rocker panel was toast. The very front of the outside of the rocker panel needed to be replaced too.