LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: April 4, 2020, 6:29 pm 

Looks mean!

Good luck with the loading.

PostPosted: April 6, 2020, 12:14 pm 

Really love the car Ron,

How much weight would you save by going full fiberglass shell ?
Any areas you think you could cut some weight down

Fred

PostPosted: April 6, 2020, 2:00 pm 

Hi Fred, yes anything that's stock sheetmetal is fair game for FG substitution. The main shell weighs 200 lbs., so more than a 50% reduction is a reasonable estimate . The stock hood is 40 lbs, so that's gonna get replaced with something lighter as well as the front valance and the stock rad/hood/headlight support structure that got incorporated for expediency. Weight-watchers R-us now.

PostPosted: April 10, 2020, 8:56 pm 

The weather has been great for outside painting the last couple of days, so after getting the rear spoiler started, I got the removable panels primed and put on the blue today. Boy was I surprised when I opened the can of Duple-Color Paint Shop Deep Blue to find that it's metallic. :BH: I really dislike spraying metallic paint because it usually doesn't go on even (practice makes perfect and I don't get much practice). But, everything was already masked for the blue to go on, so I proceeded to blend in the Midnight Blue that I was going to add to get closer to a royal blue.
It came out fine and I also applied four coats of clear.
The rear spoiler was made in multiple pieces because I wanted to be able to easily remove the rear fenders without having to completely remove the whole rear spoiler. The whole assembly will show up in future pics.
A cold front is coming in tonight, so it will be several more days before I can get on with the painting. I'm planning to do the greenhouse in vinyl wrap (my second attempt after doing the clamshells on the Locost).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 16, 2020, 3:11 pm 

Most of the removable panels have been painted. I had a remnant of white vinyl wrap that was enough to do the tail light panel, which allowed me to place the pin stripes that surround the car. It's going to be a week before my order of vinyl wrap arrives. Rotaryengineeringsb is working on a fiberglass hood for me (thank you Brandon).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 26, 2020, 4:13 pm 

The greenhouse sheet metal got an application of white vinyl wrap. While my skill with vinyl has improved through studying more youtube tutorials, it's still best if viewed from 25 feet or 25 mph, but my project is for go, not for show, so I'm happy with it.
Got a start on an aluminum rear bumper.
The ring and pinion gear of 4.10 got replaced with a 4.78. It was just too hard on the clutch discs to get it moving with the light flywheel. I had forgotten this lesson from the previous installation in the Caterham in 1995. :roll:

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 7:08 pm 

Took it outside today to give it a lap around the block and go through the unloading/loading rehearsal (hope to do some testing this week). Also took some current engine bay shots.

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 7:50 pm 

That is one awesome looking car! I am extremely impressed. Very nice!

Good luck on the testing and shake down.
Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 10:17 pm 

Damn you built that weapon fast! That stance looks perfect - impressive result, congratulations.

Do you have a vapourproof bulkhead between the gas tank and driver compartment? Not sure if one is even required for race regulations but over here in NZ we have to for road compliance.

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 10:27 pm 

DAMN! I WANT ONE!!!

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 10:49 pm 

Well that certainly looks the part. Now go drive the wheels off! (not literally) :D

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 11:24 pm 

Thanks guys.
KinRe, the paneling in the back isn't vaporproof, but it isn't required for club racing. It does have a vent line that exits the back of the car, down low.

PostPosted: May 2, 2020, 8:33 am 

Fast work! And beautiful too. :cheers:

I have a question about the ignition coil setup. It appears that you are using 4 GM waste spark coils. I can see the 4 wires are going to the 4 plugs. Where are the "wasted" coil wires going to and why are you using this wasted spark setup? Curious minds.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 2, 2020, 10:26 am 

Thanks Chuck,
Quick answer: because it's paid for.
Back in '92, this was the TEC 1 ECU package that Electromotive made that could be used on the RX7 rotary. It's made for a 4-cyl twin-plug reciprocating engine. The unused tower from each coil just goes to ground. The system doesn't have the ability for wideband feedback loop or to run split timing or staged injection, but it works for the race car setups I've done. There was a relatively easy modification to the Mazda throttle body linkage that made the primary and secondary blades operate simultaneously. A small piece of metal was added to fill a slot in the secondary linkage. This allowed me to use the same size injectors for primary and secondary to get the total flow needed for max HP. The only downside is that the idle speed is around 2,000 rpm. No problem for a race car. I've since switched to an aftermarket single blade TB and it will idle at 1,500 rpm now.
Someday I'll put this ECU on the shelf (for the third time) and put a TEC-GT system on it (with the single tower coils).
Ron

Last edited by seven13bt on June 12, 2020, 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May 2, 2020, 2:14 pm 

I thought they might have been grounded but they went behind something. Kind of an odd setup I think. But perfectly functional. I ran a Megasquirt and stock Mazda coils on my N/A 13B

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next