LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 5:26 pm 

Morgan Suspension Build, Part 6
This is the final post on front suspension for now, I made and welded new top wishbones. I also changed the upper and lower ball joint. all for better strength and more clearance. I opted for a weld in threaded fitting in the top A-arms. Just waiting on one upper ball joint.

Spike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 12:00 am 

Hi Spike, looking good.
Just looking at one pic, you are going to shorten the steering rack, correct?
You will want an intersecting line though the UCA inner pivot, inner TRE, and LCA inner pivot.
Your rack height looks good, outer steering rods are parallel to the LCA.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 3:25 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Hi Spike, looking good.
Just looking at one pic, you are going to shorten the steering rack, correct?
You will want an intersecting line though the UCA inner pivot, inner TRE, and LCA inner pivot.
Your rack height looks good, outer steering rods are parallel to the LCA.

Thanks, yes I will be shortening the rack. I plan on mounting the drive train, then I will focus on steering.

Spike

PostPosted: May 21, 2020, 9:04 pm 

Donor Bike is Coming Home
My Donor bike has been in the next town over since before the lock down. This week it was given a full physical at my friends garage, fluids changed and checked, filter changed, electrical checked, all mechanical functions checked. Tomorrow I can bring it home. Then document the full tear down, photos and labeling every connection. This virus stuff has put a kink in my time schedule, it's time to play catch up.

It is almost a shame to tear it apart, but with under 20k miles on it, I am comfortable using it.

Spike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 21, 2020, 11:08 pm 

bulldogge wrote:
It is almost a shame to tear it apart

Yeah I hear you Spike, bike looks pretty good.
Reminds me of a guy back home when I was a kid. Goes to the dealership and buys a brand new 1/2 ton farm truck. Goes to pick it up, pulls a hammer out of his old ride, walks up to the new truck and gives the fender a whack. The salesman is aghast, old guy says " Hey the first dent is always the worst, now that that's outta the way I can enjoy my truck".

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 21, 2020, 11:19 pm 

horchoha wrote:
bulldogge wrote:
It is almost a shame to tear it apart

Yeah I hear you Spike, bike looks pretty good.
Reminds me of a guy back home when I was a kid. Goes to the dealership and buys a brand new 1/2 ton farm truck. Goes to pick it up, pulls a hammer out of his old ride, walks up to the new truck and gives the fender a whack. The salesman is aghast, old guy says " Hey the first dent is always the worst, now that that's outta the way I can enjoy my truck".

I did say "It is almost a shame" When you think of all the time, money, and effort you put into your build, A good foundation is very important.

Spike

PostPosted: May 22, 2020, 6:40 pm 

It's home

PostPosted: May 23, 2020, 8:34 pm 

REVERSE GEARBOX AND DRIVESHAFTS ARE HERE....:D
Today i got a box from Triking in Great Britain. A friend had given me the designs to build my own, But for my first build, and it being such a crucial part, I opted for a commercial built model. And with it being right between me and my passenger, I think I made the right choice.

Spike

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 12:57 pm 

WIRE WHEELS HAVE ARRIVED....:D
Today I got four 16" x 4" 48 spoke wire wheels. They look great. I can't wait to get new tires on them.

Spike

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 6:56 am 

Donor Bike Tear Down
Today I'm sharing some photos of the tear down of my donor bike. I haven't posted for a month and a half, because of an injury. Tripped backward over a cat, bruised my hip, and popped the disc out of my knee. Took this long to get back right. Got the bike most of the way tore down, labeled all connections and hoses. Feels good to get back to my trike.

Spike

PostPosted: October 30, 2020, 12:01 am 

Donor bike tear down resumes

After taking a break for 3 months, I finally got off my behind and finished removing the motor and tranny from the donor bike, I also started laying pavers in the shop. I have been looking for a used shop crane, but I might as well been looking for hens teeth. But I broke down and ordered a new one, It should be here any day. I labeled most connections as I tore the bike down, But have since found a wiring diagram for my bike.....IT'S IN ITALIAN...LOL.....So I guess I will be learning some Italian in the process.

PostPosted: November 5, 2020, 11:16 pm 

Motor Setting Pretty

I broke down today, I purchased a new shop crane. Not something I was initially in the market for, but fully appreciated. I feel good just to get the motor and tranny into it's approximate area. Now it is time to set the correct hight and location, before fabricating the new mounts.

Spike

PostPosted: November 7, 2020, 10:35 pm 

MOTOR AND TRANNY MOUNTED

Today I made some mounts up for mounting the motor and transmission. Find the exact correct location took longer than expected. Next I will mount the rear swing arm.

Spike

PostPosted: November 9, 2020, 5:57 am 

SWING ARM MOUNTED

Got the swing arm mounted this evening. Had to determine the true center lines first. Removed the swing arm cradle from the frame, removed all excess material, and welded it to my swing arm support frames. Then finished welding remaining tubing before mounting. Next I will be working on the drive shafts connecting the motor/tranny to the reverse gearbox to the swing arm.

PostPosted: November 21, 2020, 2:41 am 

Drive train coming along great

Now that the motor and tranny are secure, Swing arm mounted, it was time to connect things up. So I mounted the Nova Racing reverse gearbox, and fitted the driveshafts. One drive shaft needed a new tube, to achieve the proper length. The frame needed some redesigning for proper clearance before mounting the pillow block bearing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next