LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 5, 2018, 8:21 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Okay, I've spent enough time reading and commenting and generally making a nuisance of myself with nothing to show my mad skillz. So, here's Patrick; what's left of a 1974 Series 2 SWB Jaguar XJ6. Tuesday evening I got the rails fitted to the front subframe by accident more than planning. Yesterday I woke to torrential rains and was absolutely sure the day was going to be a bust. No, he's not built according to any 7-ish sort of plan, but the donor parts are a lot heavier than 7's generally use. Let's see if any of my pics load (don't scrutiny my welds too hard, there's a lot more needs to be done!)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 5, 2018, 8:26 am 
We are Slotus!

And a happy July 4th to you! On the 5th...

Looks like progress. That's a good thing. Once you step off into the abyss and start building things will just flow from there. Might be splattering you with sh!t or might be champagne, but things will flow. :mrgreen:

Keep after it! Good luck and keep the pictures comin'...
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 5, 2018, 8:34 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Almost as soon as the skies began to clear, I was elbow deep into this. Managed all the notching and welding between noonish and 7:30. Only had about 3/8" of walk that I had to correct. Driveway was almost completely dry by the time I stood down. Rear subframe is going to be bolted to angle iron to make it slightly adjustable and easier to drop out if needed for overhaul. Still have plenty of room for working on the brakes in situ. Need a bunch of fish plates......

PostPosted: July 6, 2018, 9:12 am 

Spent some time last night figgerin engine cross member location and mount height. I'm using the stock rubber isolators with the factory engine mounts and what's left of the subframe mounts. Got between 3 and 3 1/2" inches of room to leave clearance between the sump and the cross member. Also using -most- of the factory trans mount, less the big square frame with the rubber isolators each side. It's larger than my frame tube, unfortunately, and I don't want to slice-n-dice the trans cross member. I DO want the mount equally supported front and back, though..... and somewhat easily removed for repairs if need be.

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 8:24 am 

This weekend turned out to be a little more productive once the weather cleared; got the engine and trans set in and added the flanges for the rear subframe. Gonna burn up a couple of grinding wheels cleaning welds so they they can be redone. You can see the setback pretty clearly; the front of the sump would be in that dip in the front subframe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 3:23 pm 

Honestly, I think this build is so far removed from the 7 philosophy as an apple from an orange by now. I'm still stealing as much information as I can from all of you and seeing how much of it I can put to good use.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 7:59 am 

Small progress last night, adding uprights to the rear of the frame.

PostPosted: July 13, 2018, 6:52 am 

Racoon, very kewl!

Is that 2x4x.125 wall rect tube? Your donor subframes are much cleaner/less rusty than mine. I dig your attachment for the rear subframe.

Are you planning on capping the open tube ends?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 13, 2018, 7:41 am 
We are Slotus!

robbovius wrote:
Are you planning on capping the open tube ends?
Watch out for lizards!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 13, 2018, 8:27 am 

Yes, all the open spots are getting capped sooner or later. I hope no critters take up residence before I get to all of them.... maybe I'll stuff some foam in the open front tubes, just for safety's sake! Mounting the rear cage as I did took some soul searching, as I wanted it solid as possible yet removable as a unit. Eight bolts held it in the XJ6, I reckon eight bolts will hold it in my rig!

PostPosted: July 13, 2018, 4:21 pm 

Just a suggestion, but you will be happier in the end if you rebuild/replace the rear calipers BEFORE you complete the build.
It's a job often put off indefinitely by owners as it's labor intensive, so expensive.

PostPosted: July 14, 2018, 5:18 pm 

They're both less than a year old, even though they don't look like a! The job is labor intensive but not actually difficult.

PostPosted: July 15, 2018, 7:49 pm 

Nothing actually picture worthy this weekend, added some gussets and a couple of body mounts. The wheelbase is almost perfect for the mini Bentley concept. Managed to burn out the brushes in my harbor freight angle grinder after about ten years of abuse.

PostPosted: July 16, 2018, 8:49 am 

I did manage to cut up the old frame mounts to make body mount out of. (added to the death of my grinder, no doubt). By slicing the rear isolators into three pieces, two trapezoidal tabs with holes at the ends and one rectangular with a central stud, I now have four stud mounts and eight "lozenge" mounts. Exactly how to use these, I haven't decided yet, but they made better use of discarded mounts than the recycle can.

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 8:01 am 

Man , did we get the rain Friday. This weekend was almost a bust as far as getting anything done. But, I did manage to clean up a lot of metal and build some cowl mounts and get them booger welded to the frame. Also finally figured out the transmission mount. Good thing I never throw anything out until I've sent it through the grinder and welder test.