LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 7:57 pm 

I've been made aware of an MG TC that is about 75% together, but needing body work (mostly paint, some dent fixing), upholstery, new top and probably several small things like headlights, tail lights, etc. It would come with a non-original, but British, 1500 cc I4 and a 4-speed transmission.

The engine and transmission are not in the car and they may, or may not, be a bolt-in replacement. Judging from the engine valve cover, I'd guess the engine is generationally Morris Minor-ish, i.e., 1960's or so.

So, I'm wondering how challenging a project would this be to find any parts for the interior and exterior that might be missing? There is tremendous support for the restoration of MGBs, I know. But, what about the TC, TD and TF generations of MG? Is there anything available there?

Thanks in advance,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 9:30 pm 

Lonnie,
I’ve always loved the MG T series cars. The TC is a RHD (unless someone converted it), I’m sure you know this. One of the things you’ll need to look out for is the wood frame. If it is in good shape (no rot or wood worm) that is a big factor in the restoration. The original engine was an XPAG, 1250cc. Have you been to https://www.mgexp.com/forum/t-series-an ... -forum.46/? There are a lot of knowledgeable people there who can help with the restoration and advice on the value of the car you are looking at. There is also a T-register that can give you history of the car and getting a British Heritage certificate is a good source of the car’s history.

Good luck if you take it on, I’m sure guys over on the MGExp would love to follow a build thread over there if you did one.

Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 9:35 pm 

1500 will be MGA or similar sedan and almost a bolt in swap.
XPAG? blocks have become difficult to source so the MGA/MGB swap is pretty common.
TC's have pretty good support although some of the trim items can be expensive even for reproduction.
Wheels are the big ticket item if yours are not good.
TC's are also wood framework for the body so hope yours is sound.
It can all be remade or bought, but is a chore to replace.
My first real job was restoring T series MG's.

PostPosted: October 10, 2023, 9:41 am 

@ohmite
@RichardSIA

Thanks Eric and Richard for that information. That gives me some good places to check for more info.

I've just seen photos of the car and parts so far, although it's not too far from where I live.

Much appreciated,

Lonnie

PostPosted: October 10, 2023, 10:18 pm 

Whoa...hold the phone there Lonnie..........you going to pull the trigger on this deal?
Makes me want to come over to your place this winter and approve this transaction :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 11, 2023, 9:41 am 

@horchoha

Hi Perry,

It would be a follow-on project to my Locost. I'd have to store it for a year or so unless it was a simple (2-3 week) task to get it running and drivable again. It's not a sure thing, just a possible opportunity to get a classic at a somewhat (I think) reasonable price. I haven't seen the car in person, but I like what I see in the photos. It's not operable, but looks to have all the major items, and many small ones still with it.

There's much to think about and information to gather before making a decision.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 11, 2023, 7:21 pm 

As much as it gets lost in the fog of time, the TC really is THE car that launched the sports-car revolution in America.
Nothing more "Iconic" than a TC.

PostPosted: October 11, 2023, 7:43 pm 

@RichardSIA

Indeed, Richard. Besides, I just love the swoopy lines of the fenders and the tall wire wheels. They're just totally cool even when sitting still.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 11, 2023, 8:47 pm 

Perry,
I agree with everything said above. It is a cool car. One (important) thing to make sure of before you commit your funds is make sure you fit. I don’t know how tall you are or your inseam, but one of the reasons I don’t have one (or a TD or TF) already is I don’t fit. My legs are too long and in my mind’s eye I can only imagine people seeing the combo (me and the car) as a clown car wannabe because I also sit really high and my head sticks up (too far) above the windshield line.

I’m still playing with how I fit in my MGAs; the adjustable steering wheel is all the way forward and I am still adjusting the seat foam to make it work comfortably (I have a really thin one that is perfect). I did a 500+mile round trip in my ‘57 and didn’t feel crippled (maybe a little more folded than I wanted) afterward, so I’m making progress.

Good luck and I hope you post your progress and pictures of the car somewhere for is to enjoy ;).

Cheers,
Eric