LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 11:44 pm 

I fell in love with the car you built. Great looking ride. I've been looking for blueprints of the frame, engine mounts, and suspension setup. I can get a donor car at a local auction. Do you have the blueprints for your frame? Do you have files saved from your CAD? I really want to start putting the frame together by spring.

PostPosted: September 16, 2011, 10:25 pm 

I'm in the same boat as redlineit. Awesome build. I actually already have a Honda donor, and have started sketching out a chassis design, but I'd like to be able to compare my work to what's already been done and see if what I'm getting is close to what you got in terms of dimensions. Do you still have the designs?

PostPosted: May 29, 2012, 1:34 pm 

Awesome build! I've been thinking about doing something like this and just came across this thread for the first time. I'd also be interested in the CAD drawings and measurements for the frame. Any chance you still have those lying around somewhere?

PostPosted: November 2, 2012, 11:32 am 

That's an amazing looking machine! I'm going to start to build my own next pring. I'm learning to use solidworks from some engineers at my work. My plan is to have everything drawn up by the end of winter so come spring I can get right to the dirty work. I'm shooting to get it road ready by the end of next summer. Is there any chance that you could send me your CAD or solidworks files??? It would really be helpful and greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: November 5, 2012, 12:30 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It just might be my imagination, but the coincidence of so many similar post just boggles my mind.

I'm thinking you'd get the same response if you'd just asked it once. People on here tend to be very helpful.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 16, 2014, 7:08 pm 

looking to build my own vehicle like this. very old thread but I just stumbled upon it. awesome job.

PostPosted: April 16, 2018, 5:41 pm 

proximacentuari wrote:
This is my build log -

I'm building an Atom-style semi-locost mid engined car. I started at the beginning of the summer of 2007. So far:

June-August 2007:
Summer job to raise money
Reverse engineering of pictures
Learning of Cad
Building of Cad Model
Learning to Weld
Reading books on suspension
etc.
August-September 2007: working with a friend doing FEA analysis on the frame to determine the results of a crash.
September 2007: front and rear box built, beginning to learn how to effectively tack weld and use a tubing notcher
October: College Applications
November:
Four main tubes bent
Frame progress
December: frame nearing completion. Hopefully I'll be done by Christmas.

The Project Plan:
January-Feb: Acquire and disassemble donor car
Feb-March: a-arms/suspension and mount motor
March: get motor working
April: Begin composites and get pedals/brakes/radiator/gas tank/steering working
May: troubleshoot
June: troubleshoot/finish composites

Things I've Decided:
Frame: mostly ERW tubing, roll bar components DOM
A-Arms: 1" DOM tubing
Shocks: Koni drag shocks
Donor Car: 2002-2004 Civic SI (160 HP, cable shift, rear-facing exhaust)
Knuckles: stock with fabricated steering arm
Brakes: stock
Pedals: Tilton pedals/ MCs/ with balance bar
Accelerator: stock
Clutch: stock
Seats: F1Spec type 2 seats - great for the price, two fiberglass seats, mounts/sliders for 400$
Steering Wheel: Momo Race
Steering Rack: Sweet or Woodward manual rack (whichever comes up on ebay)
Gas Tank: 10X30 10 gallon tank from Dansperformance parts, with sender/sump/fuel return/larger holes/remote fill
Exhaust: custom with stock muffler

Many thanks to JonW and the rest of LocostUSA for ideas!
For those interested in what I've done so far, check out my flickr acct at http://www.flickr.com/photos/25435483@N00/

Mate, what an impressive achievement and it looks great too.
Kudos to your effort on this as well as the Solar powered car. Coincidentally, I am based out of Victoria :)

I am delighted to see this and it definitely serves as an inspiration for me personally.
While I am quite new to this and have just started on the plans of my own build, I am assuming I would need a lot of support to make it happen especially with the frame and suspension. I already have a Suzuki donor engine (front wheel drive with MT) which i will have a find a way around.

I am not sure if you would have it handy but I would deeply appreciate if you could share or email me (ashima.arora2312@gmail.com) your frame dimensions with CAD/SW/blueprint and suspension setup. Maybe few guidelines from your experience would be great help too.
Hope this would not be too much of a hassle for you.
Regards
Ashima

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10