LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: CS3's projects
PostPosted: January 15, 2013, 8:24 pm 
Always Moore!

Nice!

I love how the entire chassis fits in the back of a pickup (and unlike a Miata a sawzall isn't required!)

PostPosted: March 19, 2013, 8:49 pm 

look, i can see that you are a very talented man and stickler for detail,

but i must ask just one question

WHERE DO FIND ALL THESE COVENTRY CLIMAX ENGINES!!!!!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 19, 2013, 9:27 pm 

John,
The two (or almost two as one was a short block that got a spare cylinder head, and valve gear) FWP's came from the UK. Both off FleaBay. The FWM came from a friend who had bought it as garage art. I keep looking at it, and am thinking the same thing, just tidy it up and put it on display. Whats really surprising about them is, you can buy just about everything for them (other than a bloody flywheel for the FWM) from various suppliers in the UK. I also know of another FWM here in Vancouver, and there's a rumour that there are two FWP's on Vancouver Island.

~Rod

PostPosted: August 13, 2013, 1:23 am 

Hi Rod,
I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have followed your eleven build with interest. I have a couple of projects on the go at present a seven replica build and an eleven. I was sold a chassis that was built to alleged DSK seven drawing but have found some differences to the other sets of drawings on the net. Sorry to ask but could I trouble you for a copy of the drawings you have for the seven.
Thanks Chris

PostPosted: August 14, 2013, 5:10 pm 

Hi Rod,
Sorry I have to reply here PM is not enabled as yet. I'll take some pics of the cars and post them for sure, the eleven is a clone that was built in the 60's my dads and the seven is a project I picked up here recently. I also have a drawing that my 7 chassis was made to I will have it scanned and added to the list of drawings available. My email address is cdan6618@yahoo.com.
Thanks Chris

PostPosted: August 16, 2013, 7:21 pm 

Hey Rod
As the world's greatest expert on functioning 11s, what are your feelings about a) the cantilevered mountings for the lower A arm and b) does the joint between the top of the tube connecting the side of the chassis to the rear bulkhead flex much ? It seems to me that that lower arm mounting might cause failures in torsion of the connecting chassis tube. And although the area in the rear looks triangulated in views from the side or rear it seems a little odd. But to quote P Simon "I've been wrong before and i"ll be wrong again".
Tim

PostPosted: August 19, 2013, 11:00 am 

Quote:
a) the cantilevered mountings for the lower A arm

I havent had an issues with it on the Eleven, nor did i have any issues with it on the Seven. Also, every Lotus and Caterham Seven use the same set up, and I havent heard of many if any failures.

Quote:
b) does the joint between the top of the tube connecting the side of the chassis to the rear bulkhead flex much ?

I havent noticed any flexing, though to be honest at speed I'm usally pre-occupied with keeping it between the hedges (or away from any bloody great SUV's). One of these days i'm going to have to learn how to use the FEA portion of Solidworks and "build" the Eleven chassis (and Seven chassis) in SW and apply stresses to it.

In terms of chassis failures, I havent really seen or read about any major failures in the Eleven S2 chassis, nor the Lotus Seven S1. The later Lotus 7's had various faults, and in my opinion these faults were due to the chassis re-design to save money.

On a side note, i dragged the car out of hibernation yesterday (had to get it running and cleaned up in order to sell it). It took a little coaxing to bring it to life, but i got it running in very little time. I did however find a failed rear axle mounting bracket. If I hadnt of disconnected the battery pre-hibernation i wouldnt have noticed the cracked bracket. Surprisingly my weld held up, the parent material in the HAZ had failed. Once i get it removed i'll have a close look at the crack.

PostPosted: August 19, 2013, 11:50 am 

photos please! I have been worrying over that mounting for some time. It is too bad Ortenburger's book didn't cover mods to the 11 like those in the 7 book.

PostPosted: August 19, 2013, 5:44 pm 

I'll post a pic once i've removed the bracket. As for mods to the Eleven, i dont think there were too many, most were just adding a couple extra tubes on the S1 chassis to copy what the small number of "works" cars had, and on the S2 chassis there really wasnt much to improve on. I made the seat/rear bulkhead tubes symmetrical for peace of mind (S2/3 Lotus 7's had it so why not), and added tubes down the trans tunnel for an easier gearbox mount. All of which added weight, but I wasnt too concerned.

PostPosted: October 9, 2013, 6:30 pm 

Hi

I am enjoying reading about your projects - great fabrIcation and detail work. That 11 is superb!

Do you have any plans for the Series III chassis you built please? I am thinking building a similar car with an A Series Sprite engine, following similar trim and look (I.e. a late Series II with a Series III chassis for stiffness and black interior and clamshell wings).

Cheers
Mike

Greetings from sunny Scotland!

PostPosted: January 4, 2014, 8:15 pm 

Just to keep this build thread up to date, the Eleven has gone to a new owner on another continent. He's going to be hillclimbing it, or at least that was his original intention. The Spridget has also gone to a new owner, who's going to use it for bits and pieces for his other Sprite (ie it was too rusty to save, but still had some useable panels). And, the TF now has the body panels loosely bolted to the chassis so that I can start aligning everything, and get the body ready for paint when the warm weather re-appears.

So, of all the cars in this thread, the only true car thats left is the TF, the Climax powered special has been put on long term hold, or until I get fed up with the Europa resto-mod.

Rod

PostPosted: January 4, 2014, 9:06 pm 

well you don't need all those coventry climax pieces of scrap lying around the shop if you ant gona use erm, put them in a big box and send them to the Arizona metal recycling plant.

the address is 1205 diamond creek drive, meadview, az 86444
i, opps, they can dispose of them safely for you.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 4, 2014, 10:18 pm 

John,
The only Climax I have left is an FWM (750cc) thats half converted to street use, the flywheel is the hold up. It sounds like sacrilege, but I might turn it into a coffee table for the time being as its just too neat to get rid of. The spare 1020 FW went to the mid-west a few years back, and I sent the other spares with the Eleven. But, I'll let you know if I change my mind about the coffee table, I'll let you know.

Rod

PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 4:58 pm 

Hi Rod

What's the news please on your Sebring Sprite and Ginetta projects?

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: August 21, 2018, 11:04 am 

MikeWood wrote:

What's the news please on your Sebring Sprite and Ginetta projects?

The Sprite went to a new owner back in 2014, and the Climax special (based along the lines of a Ginetta) was scrapped. The Climax went to a guy in Quebec who had another 750 cc firepump. The chassis was cut up and recycled as it had sat outside for too long. The Europa resto-mod is very very close to completion (just needs an out of province inspection), the MG TF left the garage three weeks ago and was replaced by a Lotus Elan. Unfortunately, I'm losing my storage garage, so no new projects are in the works until I either buy somewhere or find a garage to rent, and looking at property values here in Vancouver, buying isn't an option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next