LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gecko Project
PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 8:54 am 

So, the day for "Gutting the Corolla" was Saturday and here's a few pictures of what went on, courtesy of my wife and her camera. Special mention to her for allowing me to pull a car apart in our driveway, with a gang of mates, on our wedding anniversary :o

Probably more clubbies than our sleepy cul-de-sac is used to (there were two more but Leanne only grabbed this shot)

Mechanical geniuses discuss options:
Image:)

You can never have too many people standing and watching :)

Well don't all just stand there! Drink something!

The slightly reluctant captive is released from it's boring prison

More updates soon.

D

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 7:25 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Gecko!
Looks like a great party! Wish I'd known y'all were getting together, sorry I missed it. Was there food/drink involved, too?
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 20, 2016, 12:52 am 

Sorry that I didn't throw the invite a little wider JD. Google Maps me it's almost exactly 9000 miles from Tallahassee to here so I'd probably need to give you a bit of warning :)

Of course there was food and drink. Can't invite a bunch of people to help you work on a car and then not feed them!

Amusingly, one of the "problems" with the Lancer motor I was going to use was the tightly integrated immobiliser. Look what I found tucked into the Corolla's loom....
Thankfully, I have all of the components this time, including the coded key etc.

I think I'm going to wire up the engine sitting on the trolley where I have it first and try starting it. That way, I can carefully prune the loom down to the minimum where it's all easy to see, before installation in a crowded engine bay.

Dominic

PostPosted: March 21, 2016, 7:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Can't invite a bunch of people to help you work on a car and then not feed them!
Besides building cars, one of the coolest things about this forum is how it shows that people are the same, no matter what hemisphere they come from. A group of friends, workin' on a car or watching a race or a ball game, then steaks on the grill (or a "chuck" on the "barbie"!)... It don't get any better. Tell the boys I said "Howdy!" and maybe I'll make your next get-together. Or y'all can come here, we'll tinker with the Slotus!

:cheers:
Regards-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 21, 2016, 6:57 pm 

After a long period of inactivity (2016 has been a royal arsehole of a year!) I'm finally back doing things :)

For quite a while, I've been toying with options for front indicators. The motorcycle style stalks that many use aren't ADR (Australian standards) compliant of course. I toyed with making my own stalks but then, after looking at what approved indicators are available, I found some nice strip style ones. Thinking a bit more about how to mount them got me to here.

From left to right that's a clamp block, a hammerform, a pattern, an ali blank, and a final part.

After annealing and some bashing around the form, we get to this stage:

A quick trim on the bandsaw to get the angle right and here it is taped to the nose for a look.

As always, when you need two of something, you end up making three because the first one shows you all of the mistakes :)

The next two will go pretty quickly (I hope).

Progress is progress.....

PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 5:22 am 

OzGecko wrote:
As always, when you need two of something, you end up making three because the first one shows you all of the mistakes :)

Yea, verily!

I'm glad to see you making progress once again.

PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 7:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Gecko!
Good to hear from you again, happy that you're back at work on the car.

Make three widgets to get two? Shoot, around Team Slotus we sometimes make five or six, throw 'em all in the scrap pile and buy what we need off Ebay... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 29, 2016, 5:43 am 

Great to see you are still building the project....cheers from a fellow Aussie :cheers:

PostPosted: March 5, 2017, 5:56 pm 

I really like all the work you have put in on this. I see you have the shortest strut they offer in that body diameter. Could you post a top view engine bay picture , showing the suspension and engine. Thanks for sharing your project.

PostPosted: May 1, 2017, 12:26 am 

Evlshnngns wrote:
I really like all the work you have put in on this. I see you have the shortest strut they offer in that body diameter. Could you post a top view engine bay picture , showing the suspension and engine. Thanks for sharing your project.

Evlshnngns, I didn't see your question at first as I haven't been on forums much over the last few months - the day job is consuming most of my energy at present.

I had a quick look and although I thought I had a few engine bay shots, there's not many from above. Hopefully this one shows what you want, although there's not really much to see. Just an engine and the tops of the struts :) The two bent tubes lying across the top were just stored there at the time, they're not part of the engine bay.

Let me know if there's some particular detail you're after and I'll see if I can snap a picture for you. Thanks for your interest in the project.

Dominic

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 12:53 am 

I posted this elsewhere the other day and supposed I should repeat it here to reassure everyone I'm still alive:

After not doing much meaningful work on the car for ages, I sold some surplus parts a week or so back. In the process, I had to clean up the workshop enough to get the parts out :shock: . Decided to stick the wheels and loose panels back on to remind me what I'm trying to do.

The same day also marked one year since my Dad died - I think I owe it to him to finish the project he always asked about. #findingmotivation

PostPosted: August 17, 2017, 12:33 pm 

The loss of a parent is often a deep loss, the consequences of which we don't fully appreciate until some time after the event. I had the same issue when my mom died. Like an iceberg, much of the grieving "lies below the water" of our conscious thought, and it takes a while to work through it. Finishing your build in his honor would be a wonderful tribute.

Sincerely,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 17, 2017, 4:00 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Furthering the iceberg analogy, when a family member dies, it's like part the family iceberg broke off and floated away. You move to the center of the remaining part - with the uncomfortable knowledge that the water's all the much closer.

PostPosted: August 20, 2017, 5:57 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Furthering the iceberg analogy, when a family member dies, it's like part the family iceberg broke off and floated away. You move to the center of the remaining part - with the uncomfortable knowledge that the water's all the much closer.

Ya finish quick, we are all dying, every minute is ticking away. ^^^Dreary bast!rd!

Car looks good! Will it fire up? The smell of burnt fuel might put a little kick in your coffee.

PostPosted: December 12, 2017, 10:22 am 

OzGecko wrote:

How are you planning to handle fuel fill and feed with two tanks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next