Time for another Update. It's been a little while, and that's because not a ton of picture worthy things have happened. I put on a pair of front a-arms and a-arm brackets, and mounted the upright in position with the upper ball joint adjusted for proper KPI and Caster. I then had to figure out how to build the Strut adapter. I wanted to have freedom to select the location of the UBJ, so I didn't use a strut the way some people have. And Since I'm a product of the FSAE crowd, EVERYTHING that is load bearing HAS to be in double shear.. So design of the strut adapter took a fair amount of work. I had the design almost done, and constructed out of cardboard when I decided I needed adjustable to add some amount of spindle offset addjustability. So the result is the bracket shown below.
I have a half inch of spindle adjustability through the shim sleeves. The long sleeve on the left is removable so I can tighten the UBJ bolt. I Lathed the step bushings so I could use 1/2" hardware in the 3/4" UBJ. Here is the suspension shown in place, at extreme bump so I could make sure my wheels when turned didn't run into the chassis. It also allows a cleaner view of the brackets. I intend to add some webbing to the top plates to ad some strength.
The front of the car gets a little tight with engine packaging, as the 80" wheelbase Is very short. I still managed to get the engine behind the front wheel centerline, but not by much. You can really see the difference between a Locost Chassis and the one I'm building from this side shot.
Since I now had a front and rear wheel on the car, I had to get in it and make Vroom noises. This shot gives pretty decent scale of the car.
I had honestly taken a short break from the project as I started to get a little frustrated. The strut adapters where proving difficult to design, so I started to get a real case of stuckedness on them. It got me pretty down, as I started to look at the car as all the little pieces I still had to make. It's a little.. .. No A LOT intimidating when you realize that you are building a car.. .. by hand.. piece by piece.. with no real plan before you. Sometimes you get stuck on the smallest little thing, and you feel like your going to get defeated. I constantly worry that I've designed myself into a corner, and the next part I put on will just require me to re-start the whole car. It felt really good to get the strut adapters done, as it manifested itself as a very big issue to me. It finally allowed me to step back and go.. Look at that.. It really looks like a car now.
Next step.. Fit the rear body so I can finish up the cage/rear subframe.