LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: sprite into locost
PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 6:09 pm 

So the part is doable. The big problem, as it turns out, is that it has a curve in the middle

PostPosted: April 18, 2018, 11:41 am 

Some SLOW progress learning to TIG aluminum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 18, 2018, 12:00 pm 

What Tungsten are you using? After watching Welding Tips and Tricks I thought using 2% Lanthinated was the one to use, but a good friend of mine is a welding gas/parts supplier and his guys recommended zirconiated, and I have to say it's much easier to weld using it. It holds an arc with less amperage and makes everything easier (at least for me). But, from the limited reading, zirc doesn't stand up to higher amps, but as your welding thin material (.065"?) it should work just fine.

Other than that, you're certainly making progress and it looks very good.

PostPosted: April 21, 2018, 6:47 pm 

I'm using a 1/16 Ø 1100 rod and a 1/16 Ø 2% thoriated electrode most of the material is .050 thk, a selection I regret. I have had trouble getting my Die nasty set up so now I'm calling in a pro at least until I get the hang of it.

PostPosted: April 21, 2018, 7:39 pm 

A few years back I was picking up some gas for the MIG and they had on their counter some TIG examples that really impressed me. Someone had cut up some beer cans and TIG welded them back together. Really nice beads also.

PostPosted: September 10, 2018, 10:53 am 

So you thought I was dead. No just trying to learn to weld aluminum. Kent white and most of the alloy body guys say that gas welding is best as you can work the panel after welding. So I bought the whole set-up and spent HOURS trying to learn. Gas welding has been a real bust. I did go up to Grn Bay and got a lesson from Dave Byron. But it still didn’t take and I was running out of summer so Dave agreed that I should TIG tack all my panels and then he would gas weld them together. This isn’t convenient, he being in Grn Bay, but it will work. Now I’m out of summer and trying to get my four quarters tacked together. I wish I had thought of this solution last spring.

The next problem is that I have to get the buck out of my shop before snow flies so I can work on the chassis over winter. And I leave for school in Bologna in two weeks.

PostPosted: September 10, 2018, 12:58 pm 

Bologna?

What kind of school is it?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 25, 2018, 3:34 pm 

This may seem strange, It's a language school. Voglio parlare in la lingua di disegnio.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 9:41 am 

I don't speak Italian. I'm still working on English. :lol:

Using Google Translate I got "I want to talk to the design language" using its suggestions. Are you going on a tour of Italian coach builders?

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 29, 2018, 1:58 pm 

Yes, any that I can and some car museums and a big blow out in Padua.

PostPosted: November 7, 2018, 9:04 pm 

The show in Padova was pretty incredible. Those Italians are really car crazy. As I was wandering around I happened to see this little gadget on a light weight Jag. I have seen these before used to hold down hoods. I think they would be perfect for my car but I didn't find anyone selling them. Any ideas about where I could get some would be greatly appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 8, 2018, 8:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Sorry, can't help you source that part... But if it's a Jaguar* part, and especially one for a "Light Weight" racing Jaguar* then I would be willing to bet a nickel that it ain't gonna be cheap.

You know the British found a cure for AIDS, right? They gave it a Jaguar* part number and now nobody can afford it... :mrgreen:

*Note: Say it "Jag-you-Uh", right and proper, Pip-Pip, Cheerio, time for tea...

:cheers:
JD "Owned an XKE" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 8, 2018, 11:41 am 

Vroom, I can't figure out how that hold down functions. Any idea? It looks like the hook can only screw in or out. And that is not while in the other piece. There must be something I'm not seeing?

On a 2nd note, is the a Jaguar p/n for the tape? :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 8:28 am 
We are Slotus!

Chuck- There is a very slight downward "hook" to the upper end of the hinged* part. It's not visible, because it's inside the socket in the picture. A slight downward pressure on the piece being held by the latch along with a slight pull on the hinged part of the latch and the "hook" can come out of the socket and release the hood.

*I said "hinge" but it's actually a gimbal type arrangement that can move in most any direction. A ball joint, so to speak... It's British, don't try to understand. :mrgreen:

The tape keeps Bubba from damaging the paint when he tries to re-attach the hood using a pipe wrench... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
J(aguar) D Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 10:26 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
. . . It's British, don't try to understand. :mrgreen:

J(aguar) D Kemp

Yeah, I know what you mean. I spent a number of years believing the fold-up jack on my MGB would collapse when I tried to use it. And, that was after I successfully change a tire a few times. I never did figure out what it worked.

Maybe it was just revenge on the Colonies? You know, keep us confused in our thinking?

Cheers,

Attachment:
MGB jack.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next