LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 11, 2020, 5:22 pm 

I don't live in Texas but, there's a good chance I will move there in 2-3 years. I'm in the middle of my build and I estimate it will take me around 2 years or so to finish it based on my pace.

From what I glanced and heard over the years, it's basically impossible to register a home built car in Texas. I checked out the Factory Five forums but they have a MSO certification that comes with their kits so it's a little different. Even the Ar-i-el Atoms have the manufacturer stickers and certifications. but home builds are different.

1) On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is it to register a locost in Texas? I joined a fb group About saving the sand rails buggies and kit cars and it looks like there's a new process in place. But I couldn't figure out how difficult it is to actually do it.

2) Is it easier to title it and register it in a different state and then bring it to TX? Or is the registration process still the same?

If TX registration is more lax if the car is already registered/titled in a different state, then I would use CA Sb100 to register it and bring the car to TX.

The registration process and how difficult it is kind of affects whether or not I keep building the locost. Because if I have to give up the locost right as I finish it, it seems like a waste of time.

There is still a chance I will remain in CA but right now it's looking like 80/20 moving to Texas in 2-3 years.

PostPosted: July 11, 2020, 8:09 pm 

By all means get out of Cali ASAP! Even if you're NOT building a car! Born & raised in So-cal. Bailed out after 55 years! :BH:

PostPosted: July 11, 2020, 11:13 pm 

Look up “Save the Texas dune buggy, sandrail, and kit car” group on Facebook. Big changes just came into play and there now is a process.

PostPosted: July 12, 2020, 2:49 am 

Castrol wrote:
Look up “Save the Texas dune buggy, sandrail, and kit car” group on Facebook. Big changes just came into play and there now is a process.

Just joined. After reading a bit it looks like Texas went through a period starting in 2017 when the DMV started to revoke titles on home builds. Insane that you could put in a life times work into a build and have it nulled just like that.

But apparently just recently starting last month, they have a process to get it titled again with inspections, etc.

I haven't been able to find an answer to how to title a locost that is already registered in a different state but I am guessing you may have to go thru the texas process all over again.

If that's the case, I'm going to have forgo the sb100 process in Cali and trailer a non-registered car across the country to Texas and then start the process there. Kind of annoying. If I ship the car it'll add $1200 to my budget. Kind of ironic that I just bought the unfinished roller from Texas and I may have to move and ship it back in a few years.

Also ironic that cali is fairly strict about cars and smog but they are super lax about sb100 and kit cars but texas where most things are lax like headers, smog, they have a weird stance against kit cars.

PostPosted: March 24, 2021, 5:16 pm 

It'll be a while, but I'll be traversing this process in the near-ish future.
Local tax office was helpful & had a premade packet with information on the process & forms required.
Pretty much an except from the 2020 TxDMV Assembled & Reconstructed Vehicle Manual; specifically Chapter 6 (New Fabrications).

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899