LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 21, 2011, 1:27 am 

Hey guys,

Wondering how long it took you guys to:

-get your VIN from ICBC to the inspector after applying for it
-get licensed and legal after the inspection is complete

I'm hauling ass trying to get my car done. I can't imagine getting it done and legal by the meet on the 9th, but I need to have some excuse to give the gf for all the time I am spending on it..... :mrgreen: Just wondering how hopeless my goal is on ICBCs end.

Also, do you need curb weight before or after the inspection? If after, I can put the repair plate on to get weighed. Cuts one trailer ride out.

Thanks.
Cory

PS: I'd be interested in any hands on help from experienced locosters. Beer/food/tradseys etc. Or flat out cash if you can help get me on the road quick. I've just started a new job and can't really ask for time off or I would.

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 12:16 pm 

From what i remember it took something like two weeks from sending in my application to getting the BC VIN sent to my inspection facility. But, with the postal problems at the moment, it could take longer.

As for getting the car on the scales, it needs to be done before you register the car. I dont believe you have to have it weighed to go through the inspection. At least i didnt have to have it weighed when i put the car through.

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 6:35 pm 

I am at the same point you seem to be at, scrambling to get everything ready as fast as I can, though I dont have a gf, family commintments grandkids grads and such seem to also get in the way a lot lately.

I was thinkiing I would skip the Post Office and maybe look at using a courier for my application.

Al

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 10:01 pm 

I had mine weighed at the local landfill on the way to ICBC, after the inspection.

It was fun pulling into the landfill with the car in tow: "Just some household waste..."

I can't remember how long it took to get the VIN to the inspection facility. Probably the 2 weeks is about right. If the postal workers were back to work.

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 10:40 pm 

raceral wrote:
I was thinkiing I would skip the Post Office and maybe look at using a courier for my application.
Al

I would suggest you take the VIN application to an autoplan dealer with the supporting documents (and cheque) and get them to fax, and courier it later. They did so for me and the guy phoned maybe 3hrs later. Sounds like they have couriers going there daily. Free too but I did bat my lashes at the girl a little :þ

I was able to fax the notarized declaration that I built the car, and then get the documents to the autoplan agent after. In theory the VIN should be on the way to the shop tomorrow. We shall see.

Good info on the weight guys. Thanks. After the inspection I can put the repair plate on and drive it.

Cheers.

PostPosted: June 23, 2011, 10:25 am 

Thanks for the heads up on the courier C10CoryM, I will do that as well, why pay anything if it is not necessary.

One quick question, did you send in the original reciepts or photo copies?

Al

PostPosted: June 23, 2011, 10:58 am 

Send copies - you won't get them back.

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 12:16 am 

They seem to like to work via fax so I faxed them 20 reciepts saying (threatening?) I can send 200+ more if they wanted :mrgreen:

I now have a VIN # for the car and the plate is en route via a courier. I'd guess it will be at the inspection facility tomorrow. Now it's basically up to me to get the thing ready in time. Wasted about 1.5hrs tonight on a panel that didn't work out. Arg.

Anyone know what a structural inspection costs?

Cheers.
Cory

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 12:28 am 

My Structural and Safety were under $100 each.

You have 30 days from when the VIN arrives to get it passed and affixed, or they send it back, and you re-apply.

Fun, eh?

You can decide where the VIN is affixed. Don't affix it to anything you might change later.

PostPosted: June 24, 2011, 2:30 pm 

Looks like things are moving along nicely now :D Seems to be a matter of who you're dealing with how easy or difficult the process is.

The guy you *want* to do your structural inspecion is Bert Bath, Collision Rebuilders, cell; 604-328-1225, home; 604-541-1998 I think he's in Delta and he comes to your place. It was less than $100 for him to come to N. Van.

Not sure if you know that you can get a temporary permit to drive on the road even without the VIN. One agent told me that it was impossible to get a temporary permit for a vehicle without a VIN but but my new and current :D agent followed up with ICBC and there I was driving down the road to the transfer station to get weighed, on to the alignment shop and then to the first inspection, all without a VIN attached. The structural was done in my driveway.

Hope you make it for the 9th.

Ron

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 1:11 am 

Thanks guys.

Ron, I tried Bert today but no answer or callback. Maybe on vacation. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks though.

I'm a little surprised there is a way to insure an un-inspected vehicle in BC. Even a Repair plate is not valid if the vehicle has not been inspected. Do you have any further info?

Cheers.
Cory

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 10:41 am 

I'm surprised Ron was able to TOP his car all over town. That is not what is allowed. But this is ICBC.....

A repair plate is not valid.

But you CAN get an "A TO B ONLY" permit, which permits you to drive it TO the inspection facility. I had mine towed to the alignment shop, with an A to B valid from there to the inspection facility. Your ICBC agent will need to call their main office to figure this out - they don't do this sort of thing often.

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 12:46 pm 

I was able to avoid the cost of a "one day" permit for ICBC inspection when the agent volunteered to come to my
shop to view the car. Drove him there and back, half an hour :D .
Could be small village attitude :)
regards, Wilf
Alfa7

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 2:08 pm 

C10CoryM wrote:
raceral wrote:
Al

I would suggest you take the VIN application to an autoplan dealer with the supporting documents (and cheque) and get them to fax, and courier it later. They did so for me and the guy phoned maybe 3hrs later. Sounds like they have couriers going there daily. Free too but I did bat my lashes at the girl a little :þ

I stopped over at the local ICBC claim center and they said to just to drop the vin application off there and it would go in their inter office mail same day to North Van.

I too have been laid up for the last couiple of days with my clutch m/c taking a powder, so after a lot of hard work to get it out I installed a new one and darned if the bleeder wasn't cross threaded from the factory, then I took care of the seal and reinstalled the first one and no way in the world could I bleed the darn thing.
I bench bled the master, I bled the slave, I removed the slave and held the high point up and nothing would work, after pumping the pedal a couple of hundred times my sweetie was gettting fed up and said, "just go buy a new one"

So I got a new one last night and this morning I am taking no chances so I have the slave held up with bungy cords, new line and resevoir.
If a IV drip is good enough for people it is good enough for my m/c :lol:
So at the moment every few minutes I hear a glug, glug, might take a little longer but so far at least I know it is working.

Though I must say it does cut into the count down you and I are going through car wise and I guess Jack passport wise.

At least I hauled my car to the weigh scale before the clutch packed it in.
It was a 45 mile round trip to Hope, I am glad I didn't have a permit, in my case I would have been hooped and would have come home on the back of a wrecker.

I wonder if BCAA would honor a car with out a vin :?:
Al

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 6:57 pm 

Cory,

SkinnyG's correct in the terminology. I did get an A-B permit. However, without the exact address of the inspection shop on the form :D , only listed as "N. Van." who's to say that couldn't make a couple of stops along the way to get weighed and aligned :lol:

If you can't find a local ICBC agent that's familiar with this situation, email me and I'll send the name and location in N. Van. of one who's now very familiar with the ins and outs of getting a home built car on the road.

I hope you can get hold of Bert for the structural, he's very no hassle kind of guy. But it's been a year and a half since I dealt with him so who knows. Good luck on that.

Ron