LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 5:13 pm 

I am trying to title my CMC seven but the tax collector says the CMC VIN is not acceptable and need to be inspected by a law enforcement officer. I'm trying to avoind the whole Bike Engine issue because WY requires emission standards to the newest major component and only a automobile engine is acceptable..

Anyone use a title company? Does anyone know a workaround for the VIN? The CMC issued one doesn't come up in any database. If I apply for one, the inspector will examine all major components and see that everything in the car is new and the Bike Motor.

How are folks getting VINs and titling their cars as 1967 Lotus Seven Mk3s?

Any help is appreciated.

R/ Avery

Post subject: Round 2.
PostPosted: November 15, 2006, 7:45 pm 

The VIN is no longer a problem as the state police will come over, check the numbers on the chassis, engine, and transmission, and my reciepts. The chassis # and certificate from CMC are not needed but the bill of laden and reciept do. VIN Inspection = Cost $1.00

Getting a title and tags from the Tax Collector is another story all together. I visited each local office and got a couple different stories. Basically a home built (no donor title!) must have a safety glass cert. windshield, windshield wipers, brake and headlights, an emergency brake, and seatbelts, and somehow prove that the emissions controls are all in place based on the whichever major component (engine or chassis) is newest. For my 06 R1 motor this would mean the GIANT air box I'd never be able to see over and a titanium cat I'll never be able to weld in place and having to tow the car to be safety inspection by some clerk type who knows nothing about cars. Real inspectors?? Dazed look in clerks eyes.

One older lady suggested I contact a title company here in WY and get a title that way. She says she's seen several cobra kit cars and custom choppers done that way without any issues at all. I could even get by with my windscreen and no wipers!

When asked abotu safety, the state trooper says they only care about the VIN check and stolen parts, and that the safety stuff is all left to the vehicle registration people.

Anyone use a title company? Can I get it titled as a 1964? There are quite a few out there, any recomendations?

Thanks