LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: URGENT - NJ Registration
PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 9:31 pm 

Please HELP !

NJ currently has very restrictive car registration policies.

As an example I can't register my Hayabusa powered sports car because NJ requires that the engine be listed as a car engine and have OBDII. The same exact engine is fine for use in a motorcycle however.

There is some hope now that common sense may actually be applied. New legislation ( A.B. 2636 ) was just reintroduced in NJ and would follow the SEMA model for Street Rods and Custom Vehicles.

Please contact your NJ representatives and ask them to finally approve this legislation. Similar attempts in the past were never even voted on because of lack of interest.

It would also help if you could please pass this on to other NJ residents.

Thanks

Chet

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Reintroduced in New Jersey

A version of SEMA model legislation (A.B. 2636) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and replica custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles was reintroduced in the New Jersey Assembly.  Last year, comparable legislation was not enacted into law in New Jersey prior to the legislature's adjournment.  A.B. 2626 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1948 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948.  The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation the body of the vehicle most closely resembles.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Assembly Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for A.B. 2636

A.B. 2636 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs.

A.B. 2636 only holds street rods and customs to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.

A.B. 2636 provides that a replica vehicle will be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it most closely resembles.

A.B. 2636 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.

A.B. 2636 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.

DON'T DELAY!  Please contact the members of the Assembly Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee to request their support for A.B. 2636.  Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org.  Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts.  Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee

To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:

AsmWisniewski@njleg.org; AswStender@njleg.org; asmamodeo@njleg.org; AswCaride@njleg.org; AsmChivukula@njleg.org; AsmGiblin@njleg.org; AsmMainor@njleg.org; AsmRamos@njleg.org; AswRiley@njleg.org; asmrudder@njleg.org; asmrumpf@njleg.org; asmwolfe@njleg.org

Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski (Chair) Phone: (732) 432-8460 Email: AsmWisniewski@njleg.org

Assemblywoman Linda Stender (Vice Chair) Phone: (908) 668-1900 Email: AswStender@njleg.org

Assemblyman John F. Amodeo Phone: (609) 677-8266 Email: asmamodeo@njleg.org

Assemblywoman Marlene Caride Phone: (201) 943-0615 Email: AswCaride@njleg.org

Assemblyman Upendra J. Chivukula Phone: (732) 247-3999 Email: AsmChivukula@njleg.org

Assemblyman Thomas P. Giblin Phone: (973) 779-3125 Email: AsmGiblin@njleg.org

Assemblyman Charles Mainor Phone: (201) 536-7851 Email: AsmMainor@njleg.org

Assemblyman Ruben J. Ramos Jr. Phone: (201) 714-4960 Email: AsmRamos@njleg.org

Assemblywoman Celeste M. Riley Phone: (856) 339-0808 Email: AswRiley@njleg.org

Assemblyman Scott Rudder Phone: (609) 654-1498 Email: asmrudder@njleg.org

Assemblyman Brian E. Rumpf Phone: (609) 693-6700 Email: asmrumpf@njleg.org

Assemblyman David W. Wolfe Phone: (732) 840-9028 Email: asmwolfe@njleg.org

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 12:25 am 

Chet, you better check if your statute is going to have "Replica" included and if the word "manufactured" is used.

The Florida DMV has tweaked the SEMA document(s) to eliminate the Replica classification so that cars can only be titled as a "Street Rod" or "Custom" if it is manufactured. The DMV is taking that to mean manufactured by a company. Home built cars are titled as ASPT (Assembled from Parts). I feel that ASPT has the stigma of Assembled from JUNK!

There's also the complication that if you have a title for the donor then you maybe just be "reboding" the car (as well as reframing and redesigning the whole thing!).

When you buy the major parts, engine etc from a junk yard the title has been turned in to the state and is marked as "scrapped". I think all records of the car are purged at the state level at that point. That allows you to buy parts with the bill of sale listing the VIN number of the car/motorcycle etc that those parts came from. Then you end up with a ASPT title for all the parts you made the car from.

I wrote a long letter to the DMV to get clarification on the word "manufactured" and why the deletion of a "Replica" car that was included in the statutes for decades. I also complained that as the statute is written, it seems that a home builder would have to junk his car and then buy the parts back from a junk yard to build a ASPT car. Naturally I got no response.

Before you write your assembly members you might want to carefully check how your legislature is about to word the statute(s) of "Street Rod", "Custom" or "Replica". Ask them to include a car that is "manufactured or built by a home builder".

Some states use the word "manufactured" but allow home builders to build Custom or Replicas. But it only takes a strict definition of the word manufactured to throw you into ASPT and the complications that produces.

Fla also has this requirement in the statute 320.0863(3),
"(3) To register a street rod or custom vehicle, the owner shall apply to the department by submitting a completed application form and providing:
(a) The license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a) and a processing fee of $3;
(b) A written statement that the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation but will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, or other functions of public interest and similar uses; ........"

So read what your state is about to enact and then write the letter.

Disclaimer; I am NOT a lawyer. Your lawyer's opinion may vary.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 10:03 am 

All good points olowdy_01.

Re:
Quote:
(b) A written statement that the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation but will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, or other functions of public interest and similar uses; ........"

Note the use of the term "occasional transportation". The same, if not similar, statements are used both in titling, registering for plates in most SEMA model states and for insurance policies. Depending on the intended use of the vehicle, most States and insurance companies require the owner to have a primary vehicle in addition to this toy we call Locosts. This is their way of justifying to themselves why we don't need crash protection nor emissions testing. etc. The legislation is passed for the hobbyist's uses, not the die-hard commuter. Most states have a method to build a one-off vehicle without the use of the "Custom Vehicle" path, but that is much more restrictive and the builder has fewer freedoms of design. Most likely, one will have a difficult time finding an insurance co to insure that type vehicle. So we are left with this type of restrictions for our Locosts. I have driven my Antique auto and my Locost (both have the same limited use restrictions) for weekend pleasure drives, cross country travel and the occasional commute while my DD was layed up for service over the last 20 years or so. I've never been questioned about me not meeting the state's limited use requirements. I suppose if I drove the same route every day to commute with the Locost, somebody might ask a question or two.

Here is the SEMA model recommended legislation:
Quote:
(a) A custom vehicle means any motor vehicle that:
(1) Is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; or was
manufactured to resemble a vehicle 25 or more years old and of a
model year after 1948; and
(2) Has been altered from the manufacturers original design; or has a
body constructed from non-original materials.

Note that the SEMA model legislation uses the term "manufactured" so I think most state's include that terminology. Sorry to hear that Fla has taken the stricter meaning.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 2:31 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
......... So we are left with this type of restrictions for our Locosts. I have driven my Antique auto and my Locost (both have the same limited use restrictions) for weekend pleasure drives, cross country travel and the occasional commute while my DD was layed up for service over the last 20 years or so. I've never been questioned about me not meeting the state's limited use requirements. I suppose if I drove the same route every day to commute with the Locost, somebody might ask a question or two.

I doubt that we would be stopped for using the car every day either. I think the state is a little concerned that since we don't have to meet the new safety requirements that they wanted to have a STA (save THEIR a**) clause in the statute.

Here is the SEMA model recommended legislation:
Quote:
(a) A custom vehicle means any motor vehicle that:
(1) Is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; or was
manufactured to resemble a vehicle 25 or more years old and of a
model year after 1948; and
(2) Has been altered from the manufacturers original design; or has a
body constructed from non-original materials.
Yep, Fla now has that same wording and it appears that the local DMV offices were instructed to not allow a Custom car to be home or a small shop built. Which makes one wonder how it can be a "Custom" if it wasn't built as a one off car. "Manufactured" would normally mean that it was a cookie cutter operation.

Note that the SEMA model legislation uses the term "manufactured" so I think most state's include that terminology. Sorry to hear that Fla has taken the stricter meaning.
The Fla legislature was probably just following the SEMA wording until they had a meeting with the local DMV supervisors and took the strict meaning of "manufactured". It might have been one person who presented that idea of how our car would be classified & titled when he explained what the statute meant. :(

For one year as they were changing the statutes to the SEMA wording they left the sub classification "Replica" under "Custom" which was very reasonable. I presented pictures of a real Lotus 7 and my Locost 7 and got my title modified to be a Replica. The following year they removed the "Replica" wording and now "ASPT" seems to be the only avenue left.
---

I'd like to clarify what I meant when I said, "I feel that ASPT has the stigma of Assembled from JUNK!" I meant that the -state- seems to feel that our cars are assembled from junk because it isn't "manufactured" by a company.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 2:45 pm 

become a company, register a business name with the county or city and say the car was made by them but you may have to pay tax on the purchase to your new company who will have to pay it to the state as sales tax, maybe!
then its manufactured by a company.

this is all about taxes and litigation!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 3:17 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to clarify what I meant when I said, "I feel that ASPT has the stigma of Assembled from JUNK!" I meant that the -state- seems to feel that our cars are assembled from junk because it isn't "manufactured" by a company.

I guess every state has their way of processing these things. If I were in Fla, I don't think I would get hung up about the ASPT. They can't think too little of ASPT vehicles if they give them a way to get it licensed and titled. I'd tell them, "I don't care how you justify it internally just give me a title and license and I'll be on my way". Easy for me to say from where I am. In Illinois, I used the SEMA sponsored "Custom Vehicle" route. That went thru the "Specially Constructed Vehicle" department run by the Secretary of State Police; the same group that monitors car dealers, junkyards, bodyshops, assigns VINs to homebuilt trailers, etc.

Practically speaking, these cars are made from "Junk". Few of us, if any, are purchasing crate engines and drivetrains for our builds. I am proud that I can repurpose otherwise useless pieces of "junk" vehicles into a high performance sportscar capable of beating your standard off-the-shelf Corvette in just about every catagory under ~80 MPH. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 11, 2012, 1:29 am 

john hennessy wrote:
become a company, register a business name with the county or city and say the car was made by them but you may have to pay tax on the purchase to your new company who will have to pay it to the state as sales tax, maybe! then its manufactured by a company.

this is all about taxes and litigation!
Taxes and fees, that's for sure. But becoming a company isn't that simple either. The following is tongue in cheek but true.

To be able to "manufacture" a car(s) I wouldn't think a sole proprietorship would be allowed. Especially so once the Federal government gets involved with your car project.

In Fla you would have to be incorporated with a minimum amount of stock issued, have various officers of the corporation (more than one person to start with), keep records of your annual stockholders meetings etc. Have a business address. Get a Federal and State ID and tax number, pay the state, county and city "fees", submit proof that you will meet the environmental requirements (more fees) etc. Oh and don't forget to pay the annual state intangible tax on your accounts receivable and material on hand when you renew your business licenses.

You want to build cars? The Federal government would be interested in that if for no other reason than to collect the Federal corporation taxes. The Feds would probably want you to meet crash, emission, safety and other tests etc. And maybe submit some number of cars for destructive crash testing, fuel mileage etc, etc so you could issue the MSO.

You might need a bookkeeper & tax consultant to keep track of the rule changes each year and all the paperwork. And to top it off, the city might not like you tearing up the donor car(s) either. Such is life in the burbs.

It's much easier to just build the car out of junk :cry: in the garage with the doors closed. :lol:

PostPosted: March 11, 2012, 10:52 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Chet wrote:
Please HELP !

NJ currently has very restrictive car registration policies.

As an example I can't register my Hayabusa powered sports car because NJ requires that the engine be listed as a car engine and have OBDII. The same exact engine is fine for use in a motorcycle however.

There is some hope now that common sense may actually be applied.

Common sense goes both ways. You have to check titling AND registration requirements, which we have discussed before, but not with you, because you never asked. NJ is not the only State with areas like this.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 21, 2012, 6:32 pm 

NJ Residents - Please help get this legislation passed.

PostPosted: September 1, 2016, 4:32 pm 

Chet wrote:
NJ Residents - Please help get this legislation passed.

Just to update, I don't think it was ever even brought to the floor for a vote. However:
I have been in contact fairly often with the Foreign Titles Unit in Asbury Park, NJ. These guys seem to be on the ball with what is and is not allowed. Basically, right now it works like this: Like any kit car or "Rebuilt" car, you have to document everything. Keep receipts for EVERYTHING. When the car is done, you have to apply to get a court order declaring you as the actual owner of the car. From there, you have to apply for a title. You have to go for a Safety Inspection. Here is where it gets interesting. Car is titled and registered as "Year Completed" Lotus 7 replica, or whatever you decide to call it. Emissions requirements: All of the emissions from the vehicle the engine came from. In my case, 1987 Corvette. That is OBDI. They will do a safety inspection, and since NJ has done away with inspection on pre-OBDII cars, they may or may not check the operation of said emissions devices. They will not do a tailpipe sniff test. What that leads me to believe, at least for now, is that if I were to complete the car now, it would be a 2016 Lotus 7 Replica, OBDI, and never need any more inspections. As long as I keep the car, I would then be able to slip in a nice 2.0 litre Ecoboost with the racepak harness / ecu and not have to worry about having to pass the OBDII test.