LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Georgia Laws
PostPosted: March 7, 2007, 1:13 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titl ... ehicle.asp

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/ ... al2006.pdf

I could not cut-and-paste the manual. The info is on pages 99-102. A brief and incomplete answer to what is required:
$118 money order
MV-1 form
MSO for frame
MSO for “kit” if one was used
Serial plate from the frame of the donor vehicle
T-129 parts & labor form
T-22R request for inspection
Bills of sale

A follow up inspection costs $100 so get it right the first time.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 2:37 pm 

any one gone through this yet?

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2007, 9:46 am 

Any follow-ups to this would be great. I'm still in the "thinking" stage, but making sure the vehicle I build will be able to be driven is the first hurdle to overcome before a tube ever gets chopped up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17, 2007, 4:32 am 

Quote:
Good Morning Mr. Fida

Our office has researched the answer to your question of titling and registering your custom built/kit car. Although the State and Fulton County have titled and registered custom built/kit cars in the past; the legal department of the State's Salvage Division has now stated these vehicles are not for highway use, therefore a title can no longer be issued and Fulton County will not register the vehicle without a title.

If you have any specific questions you can reach the Salvage Department Motor Vehicle Division at (404) 362-6500.

Thank You
Ronda M. Arnold
Tax Administrative Assistant
(404) 613-0458

Im going to call sometime soon and sort this out. If Atlanta wont work for me, Ill probably go to florida where the SEMA SAN laws are....

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17, 2007, 10:22 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

What did you specifically ask them and why? This letter means nothing. It is vague. No laws or legal interpretations are referenced.

You are producing the MSO. You are the manufacturer. You are asigning the MSO to yourself as the first retail owner.

You need a business license to sell goods and services. You gave the MSO'd "kit" to yourself, no-charge.

If you look at the bottom of the page in the first link, it describes what should be in a MSO, not what must be. "Should" is only advisory.

The complicated part involves emission testing. If you live in a non-emission testing county, testing is not a requirement prior to registration.

If you move to a emission testing county, it will then be required for registration.

If it is given a new title, it will be required to pass new vehicle emission levels. Not going to happen.

If you are salvaging a totalled old car, the year of the car is the year of the emission testing. THAT is what they will not title in GA anymore.

If you have a clear titled old car that your modifying, well that's as American as apple pie. As far as I know, there is no requirement for you to notify DMV of these modifications. You still must pass emissions if you live in a testing county for the year model of the old car. The only downside is that if you want full coverage, the insurance company most likely will want to see the vehicle. They may or may not insure it. If they do, you may only get the value of the old car in a accident. Liability should not be an issue. If someone hits you and it is their fault, your insurance coverage is not the issue, but your title information is.

Georgia law protects insurance companies by limiting the insurance companies required payout to around 70 percent of the vehicle value. If they pay more than that, they are required to take the vehicle TITLE. If it is an old car, 70 percent could be $500. To collect more than $500 requires taking the policy holder who hit the vehicle to small claims court for the entire amount plus court and serving costs. Cashing the $500 would be accepting that as payment in full. Who is at fault on the police report is important. That the insurance company is trying to pay is also important.

If the policy holder has no money, you can relieve them of the debt, then report it as their untaxed profit to the IRS. If they do not pay the taxes, they will probably go to jail.

LxWxHt

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 2:59 pm 
Hack

I've scoured the entire internet, and I still can't find a specification sheet that shows what exactly the requirements are for passing a vehicle inspection.

How high do I have to put the headlights? Do I need a windshield? Etc. etc...

Does anyone know where to find a document listing these? I hope it's not up to the whims of an inspector to pass/fail my project.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 6:16 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The inspector must be able to support his/her decision, which cannot conflict with the Georgia Code. The Code which is law, holds more weight than a inspectors opinion. I'm sure they must have some sort of guidance. There is no reason for them not to offer this same guidance to you. If they have no specific handbook, then it should be based on the state code.

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

Title 40, Chap. 8, Article 1, Part 2.

LxWxHt

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 6:52 pm 
Hack

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29, 2008, 8:47 pm 

What is necessary for the MSO if i custom built the frame? It says it has security requirements. Can I just go to office max and get security paper then make my own MSO in Word or do you have to be certified some how to make an MSO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 6:18 am 
I would be interested as well. The best I could find is that the only valid MSO would be from a manufacturer who builds the entire car. I would think that a bil of sale stating that what is being sold is a replacement frame for a '58 Lotus seven. We all knowhow poor some replacement parts are and how well they follow the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2, 2008, 3:53 am 

I have gone through the registration process without any hassle. My car is registered as an 1981 Home Replica Lotus, and is thus emission exempt. The inspection process I went through was extremely minimal . Contact me for further info.

Last edited by eVox on December 3, 2008, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2, 2008, 5:05 pm 
Hack

Yikes. All I want to do is drive my homebuilt on public roads for 2-3k miles per year.

Just to be on the safe side, I registered my donor under my name, so I have a title and a VIN. If worse comes to worse, maybe I can convince my local police officer that my car is a highly modified Mazda Miata. :?

I've got a 1994 donor, and I'm hoping that I'll finish my car before 2019. I think I'm just going to register my car as a 1994 and bite the bullet on emissions and such. That's specifically why I bought an OBD-I 1.8L Miata.

Either that, or sell my project to my brother-in-law in Alabama so he can title it.

I've seen some crazy &$#% on the roads around here. I can't understand for the life of me why it takes so much work to register a car like a locost here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 2:33 am 

why do you say yikes? it was really a super easy process. The biggest holdup was waiting in some thanksgiving-related traffic on the way to the dmv...

Last edited by eVox on December 3, 2008, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 3:15 am 
Hack

eVox wrote:
why do you say yikes? dont let the length of the writeup scare ya (its just very detailed).

Because I was hoping that my relatively late model donor wouldn't make me have to go through emissions testing. I bought a relatively easy car to get smogged, but I was just hoping that I could register it as some arbitrary 196X Lotus Replica.

Thanks for the write-up. It sounds like things are better than when you asked a few months ago!

Post subject: Re: Georgia Laws
PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 6:53 am 
Hack

For future note, here is the new regulations for titling an "assembled" vehicle in GA:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titl ... icles.aspx