LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: registering in oregon
PostPosted: December 27, 2005, 2:23 am 
i went down to the local dmv here on the oregon coast and inquired about registering a home made car or kit car
basically it is a total cake walk
if it is a kit frame you need the mco (manufacturers certificate of origin) and reciepts for the major parts ie: engine and unibody if used

on a car with a frame built by the owner no mco is needed and you can even create your own vin number, all you need is receipts for the major parts
which are the engine and body if you use it from something.

all the legal parts such as horn lights blinkers mirrors blah, blah, blah, can be checked over by the state patrol .

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27, 2005, 3:11 pm 
very nice.

so any good tracks up there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27, 2005, 9:04 pm 
well we have PIR (Portland Internatiol Raceway) it is a professional track i dont know if a hobbyist could get on it
they do open drag races in the summer open to anyone. but that is just drag not the race course

im sorry i really dont know much about racing i wish i did though i want to get into it
i will be autocorssing this coming year then i hopefully will learn more about what is going on

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27, 2005, 11:24 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Any emission stuff?

What are the regulations regaurding emissions?

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2005, 8:49 pm 
where i live i dont have to worry about emissions
but that deosn't apply everywhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 9:07 pm 

This is old news, but I guess this is the place to mention I got a Locost registered in one pass at the local DMV--they checked to see that the materials matched the receipts and that the major parts (chassis, powerplant, wheels) were flying in formation, but that about did it. More details in the <Build log> section under <2k7 "Study Haul">

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 2:39 am 

This is some good information since I'm in Oregon, however I'm not at the build stage. I'm still collecting parts (aka "junk that is taking over the garage", anyone here married?) :lol: I'm in Marion county which means no smog police which is good news for my dual weber setup.

Post subject: Im in Roseburg...
PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 3:40 am 

This is a nice thing to know, especially because I am getting ready to start putting the frame together.... the DMV here is pretty easy though, they are helpful, informative, and willing to help... AWESOME... I just moved up from CA earlier in the year so this is VERY NICE.... and No SMOG in my area either... basically only if you live in metro areas, like portland, and maybe medford...

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 1:56 am 

Greetings all! Long-time dreamer, somewhat long-time lurker, first-time poster starting to think more seriously about my build.

I live in Portland and will be building and eventually registering my car here. It will be a fairly traditional Locost (so easily identifiable as a Lotus Seven replica) and AE86-based with Chevette front spindles. I plan to do as much of the work as possible myself including the frame. I may buy fiberglass rather than mold it myself, and may pay someone to weld my front A-arms and may get someone to do upholstery. I have owned and messed around with Corollas for more than 15 years and have owned multiple AE86's over the years. When you do your own wrenching and have a fleet of the same model of cars, one tends to accumulate a bunch of extra parts. I bought and sold a rally car years ago (kept many of the spares) and am considering selling one of my two remaining Corollas as a complete car. It would be easiest for me to sell the Corolla complete to fund the Locost, and use the spares for the Locost build.

My concern is that I don't have many big spares with receipts. :BH: If only I had my current hindsight when pulling lots of parts at the junkyards years ago, I might not be in this dilemma. If I have a 7-8 year old bill of sale for a racecar plus parts (and the parts are all I have left) how does that look as a receipt for the engine, especially if it isn't referenced specifically on the bill of sale, and the serial number for the spare engine isn't tied to the car I used to own?

Worst case scenario is to use the Corolla I plan to sell as a donor, but I hate to part out a good car unnecessarily, and the cash from selling it complete will also be nice. If needed, I could generate some paperwork while selling the Corolla if I know that it will help with the future Locost. I am close with much of the local Corolla-enthusiast community, so I am thinking along the lines of selling the Corolla as a project with the spare engine, and keeping the original engine (serial number tied to the car I now own) with appropriate paperwork upon selling it to make it clear where the engine came from. The other thought was to sell the Corolla with spares package to a buddy, and then as I get closer on the build, have him sell the spare engine back to me :wink: and draw up paperwork for each of the transactions so that I have a spare engine with a bill of sale. 8)

Any Oregonians out there have experience in this regard? Do I need something more official than a typical bill of sale used when buying/selling private-party used cars?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to posting more from here on out. :cheers:

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 3:03 pm 

Have someone email or call the DMV for you and ask how to deal with having lost the receipts over the years.

Since engine swaps are so common, they're used to this problem. There are several ways they might handle this, ranging from a simple affidavit to administrative proctology, but you won't know until you ask.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 11:57 pm 

Administrative Proctology........................

I gotta remember that one.

PostPosted: April 12, 2013, 8:21 am 

Solo57 wrote:
Have someone email or call the DMV for you and ask how to deal with having lost the receipts over the years.

Since engine swaps are so common, they're used to this problem. There are several ways they might handle this, ranging from a simple affidavit to administrative proctology, but you won't know until you ask.

What would the affidavit be? What would it say?
Fred V

PostPosted: April 12, 2013, 9:31 am 

An affidavit may be as simple as a letter stating that you purchased it as part of the race car, for which you have a Bill of Sale. Under purgery you swear that this is true blah - blah - blah and have it notorized. Or it may be a more formal form. Some states have forms for various types of affidavit.

I'm not even sure that an affidavit is required. You already have a bill of sale. I would attach a cover letter stating the details of what was in that package o' parts. That is what I did in Illinois a couple of years ago. I actually sent in a copy of the salvage title (in the name of 3 parties prior) with my application. There was no proof that the seller to me (on the bill of sale) was the legal owner of the engine.

You will have to fill out many forms. Fortunately, Oregon has a great website to help you register your car:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/assembled.aspx

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 12, 2013, 3:31 pm 

Whatever else they do, they will check to see if there's a want on the vehicle that the engine was originally put into. If not, some DMVs will smile and reach for the money. We can hope.

PostPosted: April 13, 2013, 5:29 pm 

OK...thanks for the replies. Since I am just beginning the process, I won't worry about it too much right now, but will start to do some research. Things may change by the time I am ready to register. Worst case scenario sounds like buying another engine block with better documentation, which is fairly affordable. 8)