LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 1:57 pm 

Not sure what else I can add, other than the info already provided. If you buy a pre-made frame with MCO, registration will be much easier for you than a home built frame.

It's all possible, just takes a lot of time and driving from office to office. Took me a day and a half.

PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 2:21 pm 

I think not having a Mfg Cert of Origin (MCO) is not that big of a deal these days, but I have not tried it. You just have to have an ASE certified master tech sign off on it. I have 2 of those on my street alone, so just ask around. I'm not sure they know what to do even short of making sure the gas tank is not installed upside down or something, but if you can get them to sign I think it waives the need of the MCO.

PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 9:24 am 

There seems to be conflicting info on whether you need a plug-in OBD2 test on a replica vehicle. I'd like to use a modern drivetrain that is originally OBD2, but getting all the stock computers happy these days seems impossible.

Maybe a sniffer test? Or is it purely a safety inspection?

PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 9:29 am 

It depends on the year model of the car that you are replicating. I went with '57, and had nothing but safety inspection, even in an emission county.

PostPosted: May 18, 2017, 1:42 pm 

I can confirm that my recent experience was also "safety only", even in an emissions test area. My car was originally completed in 2006 and that's the "official" year on the title and insurance. However, the title also says "replica of 1968 Lotus". I just put it back on the road after conversion from CEC to BEC and while it was off the road, Texas converted to a "one sticker" scheme where the test station doesn't actually give you a sticker but just enters pass/fail in a database and that in turn allows you to renew your registration. So previously I only had to convince the test station that it didn't need emissions but now I was worried that the registration people might reject it. But I needn't have worried - the tester still found a way to enter is as safety-only in the database and the registration renewal lady didn't question it.

Road legal again!!

PostPosted: August 3, 2017, 2:51 pm 

I am considering purchasing an uncompleted kit that already has a title from Indiana. Would I still have to go through all the inspections etc. or does it get treated like buying a "normal" car from out of state (go to DMV, present title, pay fee, pay sales tax)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6