LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 10, 2013, 1:31 pm 

My experence getting a VIN number was very good. I live in Washington state and had real fear of this day before getting there. I tried to have the car looking as finished as I could, and I had my Summit shipping box full of receipts, almost $6000.00 worth. They were seperated into 4 groups, the doner car, raw materials, parts, and hardware.

Then.
The DOL. I came back to Burien and went to the DOL agent. They said I had to go to the dept, of revenue to pay the taxes. Off to the dept, of revenue, they said I had to get a market value appraisel and they sugested Park Place LTD. So Off to Park Place in Bellevue (second time in Bellevue today). A frind of mine there introduced me to someone that could do an appraisel for $150.

I remembered reading that if you don't like what you hear at one DOL try another. Great advise. I went to the Bellevue DOL and the nice Lady took all my receipts, copyed them all and started adding them all up. After a while see told me she wouldn't be able to get it all done that day and asked me if I could come back the next day, not a problem. So the next day I went back, paid the taxes and walked out with nice shiny new license plates.

PostPosted: October 10, 2013, 2:18 pm 

Here's a dumb question...Do you only pay taxes on the items that you purchased without originally paying taxes on them, like out of state online purchases? Or do you pay taxes on in state purchased items twice? I would sincerely hope it's the former, but wouldn't be surprised if the money grubbers who write the laws made it the latter.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 10, 2013, 3:20 pm 

I went to Wendel's DOL outlet in Bitter Lake. At first they asked me to value the car. I threw out a figure, about what I thought fair market value might be. That was wht they were going to base my tax on. I told them that would be what I would sell it for, not what I had in it. So after a little discussion they took all the receipts and added up the ones that I had paid no tax on, eBay, mail order, private sellers and the like and that's what they charged me tax on. Total was amazingly low. Very friendly and accommodating folks.

But it did take 3 days.

Day 1, bring the WSP paperwork and make application for a title. Have a 1963 license plate that I wanted to use so...

Day 2, had to bring a picture of the plate in. Then the tax amount discussion...

Day 3, bring in the receipts and they will total them.

I write them a check and now everyone is happy. I get my registration document. Have to wait a year for the actual title but for now, I'm legal.

PostPosted: October 10, 2013, 3:30 pm 

I got credit for about $300 of sales tax I had already paid, so that was good. I still had to pay about $460 for everything.