LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 12:59 pm 

Illinois has enacted a new law effective Jan 1 2015, covering most reverse trikes with side-by-side seating. They are now classed as "Autocycles", not motorcycles. presumably a traditional 3-wheeled vehicle with handlebars would still qualify as a motorcycle. Drivers of Autocycles do not require a "motorcycle" type drivers license.

details :http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0777
Quote:
Sec. 1-104.2. Autocycle. A 3-wheel motor vehicle that has a
steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator
to straddle or sit astride it.

Quote:
Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Defines "autocycle". Provides for the registration of autocycles as well as the issuance and display of license plates for autocycles. Provides that operation of an autocycle requires a Class D driver's license. Provides that when presented with an application for vehicle registration, if the Secretary of State is not satisfied as to the ownership of the vehicle the Secretary may register the vehicle but, rather than issue a certificate of title, issue a provisional title. Provides that provisional titles are non-transferable and are valid for 3 years. Provides that at the end of the 3-year provisional title period, the provisional title holder must apply for a transferable title in the owner's name. Provides that if ownership of the vehicle is challenged during this 3-year provisional title period, the provisional title holder shall apply for a bond equal to 1.5 times the value of the vehicle to indemnify any owner or security interest holder against the cost of recovering their interest in the vehicle, including legal fees, for the remainder of the provisional title period. Provides that a provisional title holder whose ownership of the vehicle has been challenged or the person challenging ownership may petition a circuit court of competent jurisdiction to determine the ownership of the vehicle. Provides that a provisional title shall not be available to individuals or entities that rebuild, repair, store, or tow vehicles or have a claim against the vehicle under the Labor and Storage Lien Act or the Labor and Storage Lien (Small Amount) Act. Effective January 1, 2015.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 3:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

In some ways that sounds good. It seems that the provisional title is a nod towards home builts, but I wonder if it will make it harder on the home builders in some way.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 4:13 pm 

I'm taking it as a positive. Up until today (Dec 31 2014) they were subject to motorcycle requirements and drivers license endorsements. I'm not sure how this might affect safety equipment requirements, goggle requirements (there was no helmet law in Illinois) , emissions, collision, etc.... It is a new category for us.

I'm not into trikes myself. I ran across that in a list of new laws for 2015. Thought I'd share for some future dreamer. The first few years under this new category will certainly be painful teething for both builder and state agencies.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 7:05 pm 

I just find this interesting " if the Secretary of State is not satisfied as to the ownership of the vehicle". Is that a normal procedure for any other motor vehicle?

I'm a little concerned (as someone who is planning a trike project) about the reaction to the Polaris. There are a couple of states such as Texas that are refusing to recognize them as motorcycles. At the moment, Wisconsin's regs seem pretty clear about it.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 11:52 am 

Acerguy wrote:
I just find this interesting " if the Secretary of State is not satisfied as to the ownership of the vehicle". Is that a normal procedure for any other motor vehicle?

I'm a little concerned (as someone who is planning a trike project) about the reaction to the Polaris. There are a couple of states such as Texas that are refusing to recognize them as motorcycles. At the moment, Wisconsin's regs seem pretty clear about it.

Or is that normal procedure for their kit/composite car registration? In CT you need to show the title, or bills of sale, of the vehicles where the major components came from.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 12:18 pm 

Illinois does have a Bonded Title path for titling regular vehicles. Their fact sheet for Bonded title is located here: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/rtopr26.pdf

I almost had to go thru the bonded title path for titling my Locost, but talked to a 2nd person and eventually talked them out of requiring a bonded title. For proof of proper ownership of the materials used, I gave them a copy of the salvage title and a Bill of Sale for the donor, Bill of sale for the unfinished frame, and purchase receipts for the aluminum and fiberglass bits. That, along with a description of the construction of the Locost. With all of this documentation, I argued that there was no reason for needing any Surety or Cash Bond. They took the bait. Not very often the little man wins :cheers:

Note the use of the word "may" in the first referenced document.
Quote:
if the Secretary of State is not satisfied as to the ownership of the vehicle the Secretary may register the vehicle but, rather than issue a certificate of title, issue a provisional title.
They didn't use the word "Shall". It is not a slam dunk. IF the SOS decides, for whatever reason they choose, that you or your documentation may not be legit, they are under no obligation to issue you a provisional title at all.