LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 8:41 am 

When I bought the Supra donor car I had the title but never registered it. Now 2 years later I cannot find the title and don't have the contact details for the guy I bought it from. I live in Florida by the way.

I spoke to the local scrap yard and they will not take it without a title. I also tried on of the we buy any car sites and they would not take it either.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the car? The only think I can think of at the moment is to cut it up and put it into several trash cans over time. Anyone know a place that will take a car with no title or how I get the title.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 9:58 am 

Ask the recycler if it is cut in two, do you still need a title? You might be able to do that and still make a few bucks on scrap steel.

Ask the local police to run the VIN to ensure it is not stolen or has any outstanding liens first.
In Florida? No title? No problem - http://centralfloridarecycling.com/WeBuyJunkCars.aspx

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Last edited by rx7locost on February 6, 2015, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 10:01 am 

When I scrapped my Miata, I chopped it into 6 pieces with the plasma and the scrap yard didn't say a word. That was a fun afternoon.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 9:45 pm 

Thanks rx7locost, I filled out the form on the recycle website. Hopefully they will get back to me.

PostPosted: February 7, 2015, 11:11 am 

Two possibilities ...it has a vin....apply for a lost title. I have been sent a lost title from the state for a car I bought thru a dealer at an auction and after I paid for the car I couldn't get a title from the crooked dealer. The title came in with the original owners name on it. That will satisfy the yard. They only need the vin on the title.
Second possibility.......I bought a wrecked Vett to strip. When finished I took the frame /body to reclaim. I had the title but they didn't want it. Don't know why.
Gale

PostPosted: May 3, 2018, 8:21 pm 

I'll share my experience. I've owned a Forester for 6 years, used parts from it to build tube truck. I need to hold onto title to apply for new special build title but wanted eyesore Forester shell out of my driveway. I turned to craigslist, got 6 people asking for title, 3 offered to come get it without a title, and this...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Tube-thing/i-XnBBX7L/0/3d9711dd/X3/Screenshot_20180503-151246-X3.png

PostPosted: May 4, 2018, 12:32 am 

I cut a 2000 tiburon in half through the middle of the door opening after fully stripping it.

Both halves went to the recycling yard one after the other, no issues at all.

Have the door sticker, firewall tag, and the complete dash in storage still in case I ever need them. Title is floating around in a filing cabinet.

Terry, I got about 3 words into that wall of text, did a skim, saw ALL THE CAPITAL LETTERS, rolled my eyes, and decided I didn't want to try and dumb down to their level to understand it. :shock:

PostPosted: May 6, 2018, 6:09 am 

terryjr wrote:
I'll share my experience. I've owned a Forester for 6 years, used parts from it to build tube truck. I need to hold onto title to apply for new special build title but wanted eyesore Forester shell out of my driveway. I turned to craigslist, got 6 people asking for title, 3 offered to come get it without a title, and this...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Tube-thing/i-XnBBX7L/0/3d9711dd/X3/Screenshot_20180503-151246-X3.png

Oh no they are a NOTARY what ever will you do.

I got rid of mine through a craigslist ad. Basically come and get it for free.

PostPosted: May 6, 2018, 6:38 am 

Craigslister came and got it Friday. Swept the remaining rust off the driveway, still have my title, not in jail. All is well.

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 8:25 pm 

Scrap yards here around Daytona wont take a scrap car without a title AND the name on the title is who is scrapping the car. It's a royal PITA. Have not tried cutting it up but I am sure there are scrappers that would take it in a heart beat.