LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 1:18 pm 

Rod,
I believe you are right. The lady I'm dealing with is very lovely and helpful; however, she had to refer to her trainer when I had a question, so this may be her first time of doing this.
One option I have, would be to let the application lapse, and try again with someone else. The fee is minimal ($25) and I'm already resigning myself to not be driving much this fall. I have a fair bit of time before next season, so maybe that will be the way to do it. :ack:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 8:22 pm 

Very productive meeting this afternoon. The body shop owner knew exactly what I was talking about. No problem, I know your type of car very well; hated them when I was autocrossing :oops: ; look forward to seeing yours; no problem, I'll come over to the inspection on Monday. Gotta love a small town. :cheers:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 11:04 pm 

Well that's good news. So Monday coming up is the big day then?
Kristian

PostPosted: October 14, 2015, 5:22 pm 

Good luck with the inspection.

I hate to go a bit off topic, but I'm looking to import my Sylva Striker and I'm pretty sure that the biggest hurdle I'm going to have to overcome is the provincial inspection (the car is 21+ years old and . Is there any resource with the full details of what is needed to pass such an inspection? I'm assuming that not having doors, windscreen, and bumpers will not be guaranteed fails?

Also, any suggestions for someone to inspect here in Kelowna?

PostPosted: October 15, 2015, 8:56 am 

Welcome.
I have never looked into importing, but I'm sure it can be done. I would contact ICBC Vehicle registration, before I would import it, and get as much information as possible. You may also want to put together a history of the car, and lots of pictures and submit all of it before you commit to importing it. As for the inspection, there appears to be no need for a windshield or doors. The act states, that if there is a windshield, then you need wipers and a defogger.
Don't know anyone in Kelowna, but I'm sure that there is a large hot rod community; everyone who's old and has money, seems to be living there now (including my Mom) :D

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 15, 2015, 9:59 am 

Nasty,
You might want to contact SkinnyG who is/used to be on this board. He's up in Kelowna and built a Locost a number of years ago. If anyone knows what shop to take it to, it would be him.

I do know that there is a Sylva Striker here in Vancouver, and its registered for the road, so I would assume your's can be as well.

Rod

PostPosted: October 15, 2015, 1:30 pm 

Is the Sylva registered outside of Canada? If so, it should be pretty easy because you shouldn't need to apply for a Vin or anything, just deal with the importation (tax grab) and an out of province inspection.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 18, 2015, 1:43 am 

I thought I had already responded. Anyway, I've contacted SkinnyG and he has been most helpful. I have a lead on a good place to go to get it inspected.
I'm also glad to hear that there is another Striker in the province as it means that it has to be possible.

Since I bought the car a few years before I came to Canada, I won't have to pay importation taxes, but yes, I will need the inspection and I suspect that it should be possible to get through that too. I just need to find out how long I have after landing the car to get the inspection done.

Thanks for the help guys and I'll probably post a new thread when things start rolling.

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 8:18 am 

Well, it is nearly done. :D
The VIN is installed, both inspections passed and today I will get a permit to get an official weight. After that all the paperwork will be processed, and I should be good to go.
The inspection wasn't just a quick look over, but the inspector was very much on my side, and we could talk through a couple of concerns he had. The structural was exactly as Al had described; it was really a visual inspection of the weld quality and overall build quality. Having a roll cage really helped, as there were a lot of welds to easily inspect.
One of the things that really helped everyone involved, was the little presentation that I prepared and made multiple copies of. That was raceral's idea, and it was definitely worth the effort. I included some pictures from my build log, and both inspectors made to effort to read up on it beforehand. So they had a basic idea what it was all about.
I'd be happy to post a copy for anyone to modify for their needs. It is in MS Word, so I can't attach it, but if someone knows how to get it into our forum, let me know.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 9:25 am 

Congratulations! :cheers:

re: the Word attachment, can you zip the word file. We used to be able to upload zip files. Should still, I think?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 11:03 am 

Awesome success Martin, Congratulations on doing a very fine job. :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 7:00 pm 

Congrats, that's good to hear. That's different that you had the inspection and the Vin installed before all the icbc paperwork was done. When I did mine last year I had to get the Vin sent, then the inspection. After the inspection, all I had to do was weigh it and get a license plate. In any case, good news.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 7:30 pm 

Congrats on passing! Any guessing about what it will tip the scales at?

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 7:46 pm 

Just got back. Had to wear out that 1 day permit. What a riot!!!! Woooohoooo.
610 kg.
Couple of small problems. Throttle spring is slow to return, and shifter a bit stiff. Otherwise, awesome.
More later, I need a drink. :cheers: :cheers:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 9:33 pm 

Glad to hear you got it sorted Martin. Good job! It's fun driving your car legally huh?
Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next