LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently October 15, 2018, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 20, 2015, 11:45 pm 

Thanks, guys.
Well the day started off well, but then deteriorated in a hurry. I took some vacation time, to get all the paper work and get the car weighed. Unfortunately, none of the papers were ready, so by lunch time I was getting worried, since I had made an appointment at the scale for 3:30. Furthermore, I have one sick kid staying at home, plus two more 7 year olds showing up at 3:00 and Mama is in meetings all day. Anyway, by 1:00 the inspector tells me, hey, we still need an alignment. Really???? When can you do that? Tomorrow, maybe... but what about the scale???? .....So I just wandered down to the insurance office, batted my blues :oops: and said, well you need that weigh slip for your paper work, so how about a permit to go to the scale? No problem. So off I went to the scale.
https://youtu.be/4Npf3GsIPQc
I'll get another one for tomorrow's alignment. Money well spent. I had a blast!!!! And I wore out that permit :twisted:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140

PostPosted: October 22, 2015, 1:18 pm 

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. It is done. I passed the inspections and the car is registered and insured.
So for future reference and other BC builders, I will recap my experience.
The application form to get the process started is MV1325 (Application for BC Assigned VIN). This has to be submitted with pictures of the finished car, all sides plus hood and trunk open, and a cheque for $ 25. On this form, one also has to name the Designated Inspection Facility. Then I had to file a statutory declaration, MV1484, with details of the major components, when and where bought, and the cost. I submitted information for frame, body, engine, transmission, rear axle, seats, tires and wheels, and suspension, steering and brakes. They also wanted copies of the invoices, but it was in excess of 50 receipts, so they accepted the major ones for each category. It was still 15 or so receipts.
Once the VIN is issued, it is sent to the Inspection Facility, and the inspection can be done. The mechanical inspection form was printed out by the inspector. ICBC also required a structural integrity inspection, which has to be done by a Autobody Tech Trade Technician. The form he used was CVSE0032; part of it is a 4 wheel alignment, that was required. Even so the form is used for re-builts, the inspector confirmed with the CVSE that it was also required for a new ubuilt. Once the inspection is done, the VIN can be installed. It is a stick-on, metallic foil, but it also has two safety rivets. I brought regular rivets along, but there was no need. I had it installed on the rear bulkhead upper tube; easily visible from all sides.
After that, a weight slip from a trade approved scale has to be obtained to confirm the weight. I got a permit to drive the car there, although none of the paper work had yet been entered in the computer; however, the VIN had been installed at that point. Once all the papers are signed off, it is easy to finish off at an ICBC office.
As I mentioned before, the little presentation that raceral had suggested, worked really well. I sent a copy with my application, and gave copies to both inspectors. I included various pictures from my build log and it gave them an idea of what I was talking about. I'll try to zip a copy and attach it to this thread, in case someone wants to use something similar.
It was a bit frustrating, but in the end, it got done. My total cost was $ 450 plus enough Scotch to soothe my nerves during the ordeal. :cheers:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: October 26, 2015, 3:42 am 

Excellent news and great information. Thanks for sharing and being so detailed. I look forward to seeing the copy of your little presentation.

PostPosted: October 26, 2015, 8:47 am 

Here is the file. Feel free to use it as needed. I had to break it into two parts. When I'm zipping it, it only saves 1%. :BH:

Attachments:
Part 2.zip [877.34 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times
Part 1.zip [1.81 MiB]
Downloaded 100 times

My build log:
My build video:
PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 3:25 pm 

Wow, that's quite comprehensive! I'm concerned as, over the 10 years or so I've been working on my Locost (with a few years & a move in the interim), I've misplaced a few of the more important receipts for my build...several thousand's worth, actually (the rear axle, the steel for the frame, and the front suspension components, for example!). I hope I can recreate enough to get them to accept my build!!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 8:41 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Wow, that's quite comprehensive! I'm concerned as, over the 10 years or so I've been working on my Locost (with a few years & a move in the interim), I've misplaced a few of the more important receipts for my build...several thousand's worth, actually (the rear axle, the steel for the frame, and the front suspension components, for example!). I hope I can recreate enough to get them to accept my build!!

I wouldn't be too worried. I was in the same boat as you, except most of my major parts were bought from junkyards that gave better prices but no receipts if you paid cash. My frame came from CMC back in the day, but I never did get a receipt or MSO with it, and my engine came from a wrecked car that was given to me, but had no paperwork, and I didn't think about recording the VIN. Basically all I had receipts for was my wheels and a few small other parts. ICBC called me after I sent in the basic required pictures (before I had even painted the car) and the few receipts that I did have and asked me to fill out the statutory declaration and have it notarized, then they finalized my application and sent the VIN. All the statutory declaration is is a document saying that to the best of my knowledge, none of the parts on my car are stolen. My biggest hurdle was pestering the guy that had agreed to do my inspection to actually fill out and submit the paperwork. Cornering him took almost 3 months. I was a bit worried about the VIN application too, but that turned out to be the easiest part of the whole build.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 30, 2015, 10:07 pm 

zetec7 wrote:

I've kept all my receipts. The nice thing is the wrecker puts the VIN of the original cars that the engine and trans came from. The VIN guys like that. When I submitted my application I gave them the big ones (18 or so) and threatened them to fax the other 200 if they wanted..... they seemed pretty happy with the few I sent. I'd just send them the big ones you have and let them know there's a whole bunch more if they want.

For most, the biggest hurdle will be finding an inspection shop that is willing to do these cars. Most guys just want to do straight-forward CVIs, and not spend extra time on these.

Cheers.

PS: I guess it's time to add up my receipts now that my car is legal......