LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ontario MOT
PostPosted: March 31, 2017, 1:10 pm 

For those of you in Ontario, CDN, here is a bit of information that you may need to look into. I have heard about it a couple of weeks ago, since I'm on Al's mailing list. I have no further information, other than his letter, so you will need to do some research.

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=12 ... 412f46bc87

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

Post subject: Re: Ontario MOT
PostPosted: April 2, 2017, 9:21 pm 

oh no....... i'm in early stages of a build in ontario ..... ohhhh... i'm so sad now

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 3:03 pm 

slloyd wrote:
oh no....... i'm in early stages of a build in ontario ..... ohhhh... i'm so sad now

I went to the SVAO to find more. The new Ontario Transportation legislation refers to a universal requirement for all new passenger vehicles to be equipped with the electronic stability control system and says nothing about kit cars, rods, old cars etc. This is not to say that the legislature will not make exceptions as they did with respect to Drive Clean. I am a bit concerned too that they have not looked at this yet and ....we should support the SVAO in their attempts to get our vehicles exempted. Should this not happen, I don't think that there is any reasons to panic . I am in about 30% of the building of my second seven so I have a stake in this too. If ABS is required I will (reluctantly) look into it. It won't be easy but it can be done, and has been done. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 8:47 pm 

phil wrote:
universal requirement for all new passenger vehicles to be equipped with the electronic stability control system

i wonder if this applies only to cars made by manufacturers rather than one-off home built in garage

someone mentioned to me today that if you get parts from salvage yard you might not be able to get it registered. theres a lot of fear on this subject ... what i need is a phone number to call to talk to someone and ask specific questions about one-off home built. i'm going to see if i can find such a number

looks like MTO has updated their FAQ about kit cars. what i'm not sure yet is if building a locost from scratch and adding in donor parts per book instruction is a "kit" or not..
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/tp-tp2436-rs200804-menu-685.htm

PostPosted: June 27, 2017, 8:57 am 

here is the contact info for MOT Ontario, Canada

Online - Ontario.ca/MVIS
Email MVIS@ontario.ca
Phone - 1-800-387-7736, select option 3

you'll need your car to pass the new safety standard here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

with some updates as follows:

Section 1 – Powertrain

New requirements have been added to the powertrain system, including: accelerator pedal, throttle actuator, exhaust system, drive shaft, differential, clutch, clutch pedal, engine and transmission mounts, gear shifter/ selector and position indicator, drive belt pulley, electric and hybrid electric powertrain, gasoline and diesel fuel systems, and compressed natural gas and propane fuel systems.

Section 2 – Suspension

There are new ride height, bushing, and shock / strut requirements. There are also new requirements for air suspension components and suspension system travel.

Section 3 – Brakes

There are new requirements to measure and record the dimensions of brake components including drum, rotor and brake lining.
There is a better distinction between various types of brake systems -- the criteria are now more closely aligned with the specific requirements for each of the various system types. (e.g. vacuum assist, hydraulic assist, air assist).
There are new requirements for Anti-lock Brake System (ABS).
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems are now required for light duty vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 2011. The system must function as intended for those vehicles that require the system.

Section 4 – Steering

Rack and pinion steering system requirements, including associated parts (boot, bellows, clamps) have been added in addition to those for recirculating ball type.
New requirements for upper strut bearings, steering dampener, tilt/telescopic hardware, remote steering systems, hydraulic power steering system pump and associated components and minimum parts quality and maximum leakage requirements have been introduced.
Steering lash requirements have been simplified.

Section 5 – Instruments and Auxiliary Equipment

New requirements have been added for horn switch, speedometer, odometer, windshield wiper.
Limits on coolant leakage from all heaters and fuel leakage from auxiliary heaters were added.

Section 6 – Lamps

Lighting requirements have been changed to incorporate the lighting equipment required by the federal safety standard at the time the vehicle was new.

Section 7 – Electrical

The revised section provides requirements for vehicle wiring.
Requirements for the vehicle’s battery are provided. Battery, posts, connections, mounts, and covers must be tight and free from corrosion, deterioration, or evidence of burning. All equipment must be secure, comprised of OEM-quality components, and in good condition.

Section 8 – Body

Specific requirements have been introduced to deal with a loss of structural integrity of cab, cargo or passenger body, frame or sub-frame, tailgate, bumper, seats and seat belts due to specified weaknesses, deficiencies, damage, seizure, wear, loss of components or material or improper repair procedures.
New requirement to inspect equipment, latches, handles, door openers, hinges and other devices attached to the vehicle. All equipment must be in good working condition, not be missing, nor present an unsafe or hazardous condition to individuals who may be exposed to the vehicle.
New requirement to inspect the entire area of the windshield swept by either the driver’s or passenger’s side wiper, with limits specified.
Window tint requirements are part of the new standard.
Occupant protection systems required by federal law must now be tested for functionality via the vehicle telltale diagnostic lamp. The system check includes, when originally equipped, air bags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, and side air bag curtains.

Section 9 – Tire and Wheel

The new requirement fails a tire if any single point on a tire’s tread is below the minimum.
The minimum required tread depth has increased.
No mixing of radial with other tire construction types (such as bias ply) is permitted.
The use of wheel spacers is now prohibited, although adaptors are permitted if they are in good mechanical condition.

Section 10 – Coupling Devices

Clearer distinctions between various types of hitch systems with more complete criteria aligned with specific requirements for each hitch type.

Section 11 – Road Test

A section has been added to the Standard to capture the elements that should be inspected and recorded during a road test of the vehicle including: tell-tales, shock absorber functionality, odometer, steering, etc.

General

An inspection report must be provided to the consumer, noting important information about the results of the inspection, including measurements for specified components (e.g. tire tread depth); and, any warning lamps that are illuminated. Licensees or Technicians can create their own report provided it meets all the requirements set out in section 9.1 of Regulation 601.

PostPosted: June 30, 2017, 9:09 am 

I too am in Ontario with an unregistered home built. I completed my car before the regs changed but wanted to autocross it for a while to debug it. Id rather have it break at an auto cross than on the road. Painful lesson is I let it go too long.

In trying to register my car I spoke with a builder of factory 5 cars. He has the interpretation from the MTO that "new cars" in Ontario only need the traction controls, air bags etc when built by manufacturers, not one offs like we have.

That being said Im in the process of applying for a vin then safety certification (under the new rules) and will post my progress.

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 10:12 pm 

alkidd wrote:
That being said Im in the process of applying for a vin then safety certification (under the new rules) and will post my progress.

yes, please do!!

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 6:15 pm 

anyone got an update on this process for Ontario?