LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Registration in WA
PostPosted: November 14, 2010, 8:24 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Which law?

There are laws against tampering with emission devices that have nothing to do with the inspection requirements. No one can tell you that no official shall ever decide on a whim to inspect your vehicle again. Will you do an interview about your car at a car show stating you pulled the engine the day after inspection? You've already posted your intent, and many inspectors are enthusiasts too. You need to figure this one out for yourself.

F series engines include the F2T from the Probe and FE3 but not the Capri BPT and Miata BP or B6. The bell is different.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 16, 2010, 10:25 pm 

I'm a a little late in joining this thread, but would like to share some WA state experence in registering my Ultima Spyder in 2003. First, going to your local WSP outpost can give you varying results. Instead, visit the main WSP administration facility south of Tacoma. They know what they are doing and are helpful. Their main objective is to verify that the major parts aren't stolen, create the appropriate registration paperwork and apply the VIN plate. Stop by whichever station you are going to use before you bring in the car. Chat them up to understand the process (and their attitude), make an appointment and then bring the car and reciepts in later. It's worth the effort.

A careful reading of the regs as discussed earlier is important as well.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 16, 2010, 10:48 pm 

it's a weekend car right? the current gas goes bad so quick you either drive it frequently or run a small tank so it doesn't get funky on you therefore why not go hog wild and run a turbo and propane?? stable non degrading fuel source, exceedingly safe in the event of an accident (check out the aussie tests sometime, they drove a loaded semi tanker into a cement wall and the tank bounced merrily along after impact unruptured), readily available in your area as i recall, smog exempt if you have no gasoline tank on the vehicle. .. 110 octane and and a faster flame front than gasoline but a lower energy content and its at stoich leaner than gasoline (15.6 vs 14.7) yet runs cooler. close to the upper edge of corrected range for a typical narrow band O2 sensor so a wideband is handy but not a requirement. less base timing, a bit less total advance and bingo, the ability to run 25lbs of boost without going BOOM.
otoh i saw an lpg constant velocity carb on ebay the other day if you want the period look :wink:

PostPosted: January 12, 2011, 4:38 am 

botbasher wrote:
Hey Guys,

Just saw there was a WA thread and did a bit of quick research. Has anyone been to lic. their car recently?

Seems SSB 5719 was a mild success in our favor.

It was appears to have been a favor for the electric vehicle proponents, but kit cars also fall into that same niche.

What is WSP doing for a Parts Check? I have receipts for everything so far, but since I don't officially have a donor (except Pick-n-Pull) what are they likely to look for? I do know the VIN of the car I pulled the parts from though if it helps!

Thanks,

Hey, I just read your comment and noticed that you are in Vancouver WA. My cousin end I are planning to build our first kit car from scratch. I really need some one to point us in the right direction on where to start and how to register it. I am in Vancouver my self.
KS

PostPosted: February 8, 2011, 1:12 pm 

I may have some down time on my build as I wait for a few engine parts…trying to figure out if I can tow the car to the WSP to get registration done. (engine/tranny/diff/suspension/body are installed…but the exhaust isn't done, lights don't work,…)

how far along does a car build have to be before it can be brought in for WSP inspection / VIN# / Registration? 

My basic understanding is that the registration process is all about checking that the parts are not stolen, the car is titled correctly, and you pay all the registration fees…do they even check for safety stuff?

Thanks!

PostPosted: February 8, 2011, 2:57 pm 

Quote:
Seems SSB 5719 was a mild success in our favor.

redlineit, did this bill pass and is now WA state law?

Looks like I may need an update as the last time I went through the WA state process was in 2003 and a MSO was all you needed for the frame.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 5:23 pm 

I found a great document that provides a lot of the regulations regarding our type of builds:
http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/SAN-2 ... ete-WA.pdf

FWIW I'm planning to go down to the WSP Vin inspection place this Friday…hoping to get more clarity as to what they need. I'll update as I learn more.

PostPosted: February 17, 2011, 9:36 pm 

talked to the WSP VIN inspection station today - they were very helpful! Here's a few notes:

-I confirmed that they won't check that the car is "legal"...like lights, brakes; but he did say it needed to have all of the equipment there, but that they wouldn't check for it to be working properly or be 100% compliant (ie. if I had non-DOT lights, they wouldn't care...nor would they ask me to show that the brake lights work)
-Further to the above point, the car needed to have all major parts (engine, tranny, diff, body, fenders,....)
-It's ok if I tow the car on a trailer for inspection
-They attach 2 VIN #'s...1 to the chassis, 1 to the body. The body one has to be readily viewable (in case a cop wants to check it). They drill the holes and mount it during the inspection...he mentioned they try to be very accommodating and that their goal isn't to "mutilate" the car.
-He confirmed that it was a good idea that I bring it down prior to completing my tranny tunnel cover...b/c he needs to inspect the VIN on the tranny.
-Currently there's a ~2 week wait when booking an appointment...he says it's much longer during the summer months

Overall they seemed really nice and helpful - he even gave me his work phone # that goes directly to him in case I had more questions.

My plan is to make an appointment for ~Mid-March...I could probably get the car in an acceptable condition by next week, but I figure the more complete it is the happier they'll be when inspecting it.

PostPosted: February 18, 2011, 8:32 am 

I would check and see if they will take a rubbing of the numbers off of the trans for verification. (90% of the time the numbers are the some sequence as the engine) That way you could still finish the tunnel area.
Dave W

PostPosted: February 24, 2011, 2:32 pm 

Just found specific Equipment Requirements for Wa St - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-10

PostPosted: April 7, 2011, 4:37 pm 

Both houses of the Washington State legislature passed the SEMA model legislation for registration of "Street Rods" and "'Custom Vehicles" with only one "nay" vote.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &bill=5585

Here's a summary:
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/ ... index.html

And here's the bill as approved:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdo ... s/5585.pdf

When the Governor signs it, it will go into effect August 1, 2011 :D

A "custom vehicle" could be a modified replica of a 25 year old car built after 1948, e.g., a Lotus 7.
A "street rod" could be a modified replica of a car built before 1949, e.g. a '27 T roadster.
Both categories have big advantages regarding equipment and emissions requirements but carry "occasional use only" stipulations.
And "blue dot" tail lights are legal.

Finally, something useful from our government. Now if the other Washington can get their act together...

PostPosted: April 10, 2011, 12:36 am 

Having just relocated to Seattle, I'm glad to see that you guys were so kind as to get this bill passed in preparation for my arrival. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: April 18, 2011, 5:21 pm 

FWIW:
- I have my WSP inspection scheduled for the end of this month (they'll check for stolen parts/receipts, and will affix a VIN)
- Once I have my VIN, Progressive Insurance will insure the car based on the value I tell them
- with Insurance and a VIN, I can then get my title and register the car.

,....at least that's the plan at this point :D (I'll report back once all this happens)

PostPosted: April 18, 2011, 7:29 pm 

I know this part of the process puts builders on pins and needles. It sounds very similar to the Illinois inspection I went thru a couple months ago.

Good luck with your inspection. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 3, 2011, 3:08 pm 

All, here's my update…

Short story: WSP VIN inspection/DOL./Registration Passed!!!

Long story:

1) WSP VIN Inspection:
-About 2 months ago I went down to the local VIN inspection station and talked with the officer for about 20 minutes…he was nice and very helpful. He said the only bad time to get inspected was during the summer, b/c I may have to wait up to 4 weeks.
-when I called to schedule an appoint, they only had a 1 week wait period. (I asked for the best time and explained it was a kit car…so they put me at 9:30am)
-When we arrived, there was no line and we pulled right in. The car was on a trailer b/c I left the tranny tunnel cover off so that he could see the VIN.
-When I went to hand all of my documentation to the Officer and he said "probably doesn't matter…this thing won't pass. It doesn't have bumpers". My jaw dropped…and we talked about it and went back and forth about the WRC laws and why I don't need bumpers. In the end, he made some calls and confirmed I didn't need bumpers. (talk about a scare!)
-There were a few other small items, but the officer was really helpful and in the end I got approved!
-He essentially walked down this list of requirements and checked off each one: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.519 (when I read through this, it never said the WSP VIN inspection would inspect for these items…I always assumed it was up to me to ensure it was road legal.) During the inspection, he never asked for the lights (or anything else) to be turned on.
-here’s a few of the items that could've caused me more grief, but luckily didn't
-"Doors shall have latches"…we both agreed that safety wise, I was ok…but I didn't have a RCW that allowed me not to have doors.
-Windshield/Defrost/Wipers…I had to show him the specific RCW that allows me to just wear a helmet instead.
-Lights: must have "DOT" stamped on them (all lights)…Euro spec doesn't count.
-Seat belts being "DOT"…I have a 6pt race harness (we both agreed it was safer than a DOT 3pt, but not technically "DOT" approved).
-Receipts for Major components…PayPal receipts don't count.
-MSO certificate for a kit car...Since MNR isn't an approved kit vehicle company in the US, I didn't get a MSO certificate…which means I get a provisional title for 3 yrs. After 3 years, I'll get an official title. His explanation was that without the MSO, he can't be certain this chassis is mine, so the 3yr wait period allows someone to report it was stolen. This seems kinda odd to me b/c if I had said this was a home built vehicle, I wouldn't need an MSO and assume I'd get the full title w/o the 3 yr wait period. He was really nice and I didn't feel like push this issue…also I didn't even know the RCW's that covered this area.
-He then added a WA VIN to the chassis. Technically he was supposed to add 1 to the chassis and a matching one to the body, but b/c the entire body was Fiberglass, he only did the chassis. (it's affixed w/ some glue, then 2 holes are drilled for a hammered rivet to affix it).
-In the end, he printed out a sheet w/ all the info that I took to the DOL…it spells out yr/make/model, VIN,...

Final thought: In the end, all I can say is that you should do all of your homework ahead of time and assume you'll have to walk the WSP office through everything (I had all of the RCW's printed out and highlighted)…these are very unique cases for them, so especially for the local VIN inspection office, they won't know all of the rules upside down. (the other option is to go to the main inspection area in Olympia…they'll likely know the rules much more thoroughly, but it's further away and I would assume they'd be more strict on some things). The WSP officer was very nice and helpful - he seemed interested in the build, but you could also tell he's also doing his job and getting as much info as possible.

2) DOL
-After the inspection, I went to the DOL (Department of Licensing) and tried to get registered…they gave me a lot of grief and said I could only register as a Off-Road vehicle. By the end of Friday, the DOL was waiting for a response from their management…they didn't like the Welding statement that the RCW's required
"  (4) Except for kit vehicles licensed under RCW 46.16.680(5), kit vehicles must comply with chapter 204-10 WAC. A kit vehicle is exempt from the welding requirements under WAC 204-10-022(8) if, upon application for a certificate of ownership, the owner furnishes documentation from the manufacturer of the vehicle frame that informs the owner that the welding on the frame was not completed by a certified welder and that the structural strength of the frame has not been certified by an engineer as meeting the applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards set under 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.201, 571.214, 571.216, and 571.220 through 571.224, and the applicable SAE standards. " (I had MNR give me this exact statement, and the WSP Officer noted it in the report).
- Rather than wait for that DOL to figure out I was right, I found another DOL the follow day that had done a few other similar vehicles and within 45 minutes I had my new plates :) (I had to pay taxes on the value I provided them…I showed them the original Miata registration, and the basic MNR kit price. I was hoping that since I already paid taxes/customs fees for all of the parts that I'd be exempt, but they said no…not a big surprise)
-I should get my official registration papers in about 2 months…but it's road legal now! (sounds like it has to go through all the official paperwork, and there's only a small chance it'll hit a snag)

3) Insurance: WA state doesn't require insurance prior to registration….so after I had the plates, I called my insurance company (Progressive) and got the cheapest insurance :) (I'll call back later and figure out costs for full coverage…just didn't want to spend all day on the phone)
-I'm paying $170 for 6 months. (my understanding is that if I wanted full coverage, it would be based on the value I tell them it is worth).
-like everything else w/ this project, it took nearly 45 minutes on the phone w/ them b/c the guy had to keep getting help…my registration didn't have all of the normal portions filled in (i.e. the "Model" field was left blank).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next