LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Registration in WA
PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 2:57 am 

Getting a title here is Oregon, especially in Portland or Salem has become a more involved. It may be easier where Jack lives, but here they are wise to folks jumping over the boarder to do this. If they catch you in this situation, they may consider it fraud, so be careful. Having someone who lives here title it first will work. Then sell it to you.

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 4:36 pm 

yosemite wrote:
Getting a title here is Oregon, especially in Portland or Salem has become a more involved. It may be easier where Jack lives, but here they are wise to folks jumping over the boarder to do this. If they catch you in this situation, they may consider it fraud, so be careful. Having someone who lives here title it first will work. Then sell it to you.

I do not have enough trust to let my wife drive my Jetta to the store without sweating bullets about the condition upon it's return.. that'd be a major leap of faith for both parties.

"Yeah, sure.. I'll sell it back to you.. for a $1!" "Yeah sure... I'll change the registration out of your name! After Tax Time!"

Maybe it's the former LAite in me. I know people in this part of the world are a lot more reliable and easy going about life.. but that'd be a hand wringing stressful day (or longer) for me! I don't exactly see people jumping up with hands in the air either.

When the time comes.. we'll see how it pans out! Any Volunteers?? :cheers:

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 25, 2010, 1:39 am 

A little over a year out of date but here is something I found regarding Kit Cars in WA! It's basically an update and the "Bill as Passed" regarding Kit Cars we yaked about in Oct.

Enjoy,

KS

http://tangocars.blogspot.com/2009/05/washington-governor-gregoire-signs-kit.html

Here are the guts of the bill as passed:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Passed%20Legislature/5719-S.PL.pdf

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 25, 2010, 1:08 pm 

Well, at least it outlines exactly what is required. Since I'm using a single donor for most of mine it should work out. I need to find my sales bill to make sure all of the requirements are filled they ask for. I won't have a lot of other receipts to show.

PostPosted: May 26, 2010, 10:01 am 

oltmann wrote:
Well, at least it outlines exactly what is required. Since I'm using a single donor for most of mine it should work out. I need to find my sales bill to make sure all of the requirements are filled they ask for. I won't have a lot of other receipts to show.
Yeah, I'll be a little light on receipts too, but I can fudge most of that without straying too far! Brother owned a car similar to the engine donor and bought an crate motor a few years ago!! I got mine off Craigslist and the hand written scribble that we traded for a receipt might be an issue!!

Does anyone know about the windshield regulations in WA? Looking for do a low windscreen or individuals like Locost5.0 but am having troubles reading their requirements on "windshields".

Thanks,

KS

Last edited by botbasher on May 26, 2010, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 26, 2010, 3:01 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Does anyone know about the windshield regulations in WA? Looking for do a low windscreen or individuals like Locost5.0 but am having troubles reading their requirements on "windshields".

Thanks,

KS

I believe it's the following...it's been a few months since I read the regulations.

no windshield = must wear helmet
Windshield = wipers + defrost required.

*If you model it after a pre-1949 car, this may not apply.

PostPosted: May 26, 2010, 3:14 pm 

first350 wrote:
botbasher wrote:

Thanks,

KS

I believe it's the following...it's been a few months since I read the regulations.

no windshield = must wear helmet
Windshield = wipers + defrost required.

*If you model it after a pre-1949 car, this may not apply.
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to remember what area in the vehicle code you found that tidbit in?

Thanks

KS

PostPosted: May 27, 2010, 5:35 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to remember what area in the vehicle code you found that tidbit in?

Thanks

KS

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.410

PostPosted: May 27, 2010, 8:33 pm 

first350 wrote:
botbasher wrote:
Thanks
KS
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.410
Is there a gene that allows politicians to make common words into totally unintelligible sentences?? Thanks for the point to the VC, but does that little bit confuse you as much as it did me??

In Section 1 they state that "All motor vehicles operated on the public highways of this state shall be equipped with a front windshield manufactured of safety glazing materials for use in motor vehicles in accordance with RCW 46.37.430, except, however, on such vehicles not so equipped..."

OK, I get that.. if its there it must be there it must be safety glass... if it's not.. wear glasses or a helmet. Pretty straight forward.. till you read Section 3.. Section 3 states "The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain.

So they tell you if you don't have one, it's OK, but then tell you that every vehicle has a windshield and that wipers are needed. :BH:

Did I read that right?

I now officially have a headache! :ack:

KS

PostPosted: May 27, 2010, 11:47 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Section 3 states "The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain.

So they tell you if you don't have one, it's OK, but then tell you that every vehicle has a windshield and that wipers are needed. :BH:

Did I read that right?

My take is that "All windshields that are on motor vehicles have to have wipers"...so if your vehicles doesn't have a windshield, you don't need wipers. (nor would you need a defrost system).

This is great for me b/c I plan to just run a scuttle and wear a helmet...

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 12:07 am 

first350 wrote:
botbasher wrote:
Section 3 states "The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain.

Did I read that right?

My take is that "All windshields that are on motor vehicles have to have wipers"...so if your vehicles doesn't have a windshield, you don't need wipers. (nor would you need a defrost system).

This is great for me b/c I plan to just run a scuttle and wear a helmet...
Well.. that's why I stayed out of politics!! Never could deal with the double-talk!

OK.. Thanks for the VC pointers... your interpretation of them.. and putting up with my half-brained efforts to understand them.

It sounds good the way your reading it. Makes Sense! I plan to do a scuttle with the old style adj deflectors like Locost5.0 so this makes me very happy!!

When you go to get it inspected, I'd appreciate a record of your adventure!

Thanks,

KS

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 10:13 am 

botbasher wrote:

When you go to get it inspected, I'd appreciate a record of your adventure!

I haven't really started the build yet...I just ordered MNR's Vortx Miata kit - should be here in 2 months.

*Nice to see others using MS ECU's...I'm in the middle of tuning my miata w/ the MS - getting it ready for the locost!

PostPosted: July 27, 2010, 2:48 pm 

I was able to find a buyer for my donor Miata chassis - so I signed the title over to him when he hauled it away. I made copies of the title & VIN #, and have receipts showing how much I paid for the Miata...what will I need to bring in when I register the locost? I'm close to breaking even on the donor car, so the engine/tranny/diff are essentially free - but how does the registration process look at this?

thanks!

PostPosted: July 28, 2010, 3:21 am 

first350 wrote:
I was able to find a buyer for my donor Miata chassis - so I signed the title over to him when he hauled it away. I made copies of the title & VIN #, and have receipts showing how much I paid for the Miata...what will I need to bring in when I register the locost? I'm close to breaking even on the donor car, so the engine/tranny/diff are essentially free - but how does the registration process look at this?

thanks!
I'm told, on good authority, to bring every scrap of paper you have and let the person inspecting your vehicle decide what suffices and is needed.

For this particular one, the copy of the title and the receipt from the buyer should cover you for the major parts from that particular vehicle.

As long as you can show where it came from and that it wasn't stolen, the officials I've asked had little issue with the remainders disposition.

Documentation was the key they said!!

KS

PostPosted: November 11, 2010, 7:57 pm 

ok.... somebody correct me if I am wrong here

according to the new law, the vehicle will be required to pass emissions based upon the year of the engine at the time of titling. engines more than 25 years old are exempt from emissions.

SO, lets say you put a Mazda F-series engine with a 1985 (or older) vintage serial number, in the beast.
- go down to your local friendly Mazda dealer with the serial number off your block,
- - get them to look up your serial number and
- - write a letter saying "yep, that is a 1985 vintage engine"
- get the beasty "road ready",
- take it down,
- point to the serial number on the block,
- - show the letter from the Mazda dealer and
- - say see... 1985, emissions exempt.
- get it titled, emissions exempt.-

NOW, take the beasty home, swap in your BPT, or whatever...
and you simply do registration every year.

correct?

NOW the 64 thousand dollar question is....
- - - - how different are the mounting points from a Mazda F-series and B-series motors?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next