LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vancouver, BC
PostPosted: September 19, 2012, 11:07 pm 

Congratulations on your success on being a member of our highways 8) , I quite agree with you as far as the stress goes, I put myself through what I see as a lot of needless stress when I look back in hind sight.

In my case I dropped my receipts and application etc off at the local ICBC claim centre, who then forwarded it by inter-office mail to North Vancouver.
Like you I got a call on a couple of items a couple of days later, I also had to pay 25 bucks to a notary, then my VIN was sent to the shop I chose.
I towed the car there and an hour and a half later and $98 bucks lighter I was over at the insurance agent for my registration and plates.
Mine also was the first 7 they had done, though they regularly inspect hot rods/kit cars.
After I had gone through it all, my wife and co pilot just looked at me and said, well that wasn't that hard was it. Well no, not looking back.
Having done this now, if I built another car, I wouldn't sweat the inspection, as it is now no longer an unknown.

Once again :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: September 20, 2012, 6:34 pm 

The structural integrity inspection at the body shop cost me $150+ taxes and the ICBC inspection cost me $165 but included the front wheel alignment. The structural took about twenty minutes and the ICBC inspection took the time it takes to do the front alignment, 'bout an hour. Did you not have to do the structural integrity inspection Al ?
David

PostPosted: September 20, 2012, 9:32 pm 

Part of what I am going to say is conjecture on my part, but I think a lot of the inspection criteria is is decided by ICBC based on how the car is presented to them.
Depending on that information, they then input what they have into the computer system with recommendations to the inspection shop as to what is required.
My friend went through the inspection about 6 months before me with his FF5 Daytona, all he did was stuff all his receipts into a manilla envelope and mailed it off with the shop he wanted to go to, not the shop I went to.
He got about a half a dozen calls from ICBC getting him to explain everything in detail, asking for more receipts etc, .
When he finally went for his inspection the shop required an alignment from him as well as a frame inspection, all told I think he was in the 400 dollar range.

After seeing what he went through I submitted my paperwork in a presentation form, broken down into sub headings complete with photos for each sub section and in a sense they virtually got a small book.
This was no big deal on my part as my pre-retirement job required me to do a lot of presentations for the various projects I was doing with the company I worked for.
If your wife is a lawyer she will probably relate to the fact that I never said in print that I did anything, instead of saying I built my frame, I said the frame was constructed and reinforced using this material and that material, I also stated the total car was constructed of over 90 per cent new materials.
I also sent photos in under the 'wheel and suspension heading' showing the various equipment I used to do the alignment.
When I went to the shop to have the inspection done I ' got the feeling' that a lot of this information was on-line from ICBC, just by some of the comments stated about the car by the inspector, I found myself thinking ' how did he know that' I never mentioned it.
There was enough of those comments to make me suspicious, I tried to get a look at his screens he was scrolling through but could never quite get a peek.
Once again this is conjecture on my part.

I did specifically ask him if I needed to have a structural inspection, he told me that after he had looked the car over he would see if it did but based on his information he didn't see a requirement for it, after about ten minutes of crawling around it he replied, no this doesn't need to have a structural done on it.
He also remarked that this type of car along with a lot of rods they do don't have any set factory alignment numbers and that mine looked good visually, I just remarked that the alignment had been done, but might need a bit of fine tuning once on the road, he just said most do.

I also went to a government weigh scale on the highway just up the road from me, the scale weight was printed out on a piece of printer paper, then as I as stood around yakking in amongst the big rigs with the inspecor, he suddenly remembered that they did have some official weigh forms almost never used, he was a sports car guy so he said the form would carry more validity, after about 10 minutes of searching he found some in the bottom of a drawer so we weighed the car again and the weight was stamped on this form, as well he signed his name, wrote a short note on to ICBC to give a call if they have any questions. Then he let me roar around the large parking lot for a bit between any trucks, he was a real decent sort.
I think having his signature as a gov't weigh scale inspector didn't hurt

This write up is a bit long winded but I think the sum of a lot of what I did to prepare for the inspection influenced a lot on how difficult the inspection would be.
I also think some shops like the one my buddy went to automatically do structural alignments etc. a source of income no matter what car is coming through.
My friends car being a FF5 kit certainly did not need a frame structural and I think 150 to 200 was part of his cost as well.
The other note was the ICBC agent that was handling mine said that the information I sent in was the best he had ever dealt with and he wished more people would do the same as it would make things a lot easier.

I refrained from telling him that if ICBC would spell out exactly what they wanted in black and white using , simple english that more people would do just that.
I didn't want to do anything to irk anyone at that point in time, I will say also that he was extremely helpful.
I also think the shop has a lot of leeway based on what the car looks like to them, whether it looks professionally done or cobbled together.
Assuming they are putting the car first and not the dollar.

So basically this is what happened in my case, once again some of my comments are conjecture, but it was very smooth for me.

Al

PostPosted: September 20, 2012, 11:01 pm 

Thanks Al, I'm sure what we have posted and others like skinnyG and SevenesqueRon will help the builders here in BC navigate the quagmire of the BC assigned VIN.
David

PostPosted: September 22, 2012, 10:35 am 

Thanks for the info! I'm over on the Island and, at the rate of construction (namely, approximating the rate of continental drift) I'll be a while before I'm at that stage. I'm at the bare, rolling-chassis stage right now (no wiring, brake lines, bodywork installed, etc. yet), but I've been there for over a year.

I had a fantastic inspector (hot rod/race car builder, friend) set to go, but he suddenly died (at 34 years old - massive heart attack). I had a structural guy all set to approve the chassis, but he sort of...vanished.

Going to have to search out new guys again...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 22, 2012, 6:00 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'm over on the Island and, at the rate of construction (namely, approximating the rate of continental drift) I'll be a while before I'm at that stage. I'm at the bare, rolling-chassis stage right now (no wiring, brake lines, bodywork installed, etc. yet), but I've been there for over a year.

I had a fantastic inspector (hot rod/race car builder, friend) set to go, but he suddenly died (at 34 years old - massive heart attack). I had a structural guy all set to approve the chassis, but he sort of...vanished.

Going to have to search out new guys again...

Try and line up your ICBC inspector first, you may not need a structural at all.
David

PostPosted: September 23, 2012, 11:51 am 

That's what I'm hoping for - some ICBC inspectors, apparently, don't require a structural inspection. That would save time, money & hassle...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: April 13, 2014, 12:54 pm 

Has anyone managed to get through an inspection in BC without a windshield? I would prefer to not have one for my autoX car.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 13, 2014, 7:50 pm 

Cory,
I'm probably one year away from the inspection, and I am also planning no windshield. I have studied the regulations, and there is a paragraph, that says, if the vehicle is equipped with a windshield, then a windshield wiper and defogger must be installed. I'm hanging my hat on the word "if", thus believing that it can be inspected without one. However, just like you, I would love to hear from someone with personal experience. If you are going to be the trail blazer, I hope you'll share your experience.
Thanks,

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: April 13, 2014, 8:28 pm 

Here you go, windscreen is near the end of page one.
From Wilfs build on "Sunny Gabriola" as he calls it.
passed inspection, no wipers, 10 inch cut down windscreen.

Al

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4146&hilit=alfa+engine

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 12:03 am 

mgkluft wrote:
If you are going to be the trail blazer, I hope you'll share your experience.

At the pace I work at, you may still be ahead of me so.... sure :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just worried because my car is a bit ugly (but mechanically solid), so having no windshield etc might be asking too much. I'll try to source an inspector prior to painting and see what he says.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 11:20 am 

[/quote]

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just worried because my car is a bit ugly (but mechanically solid), so having no windshield etc might be asking too much. I'll try to source an inspector prior to painting and see what he says.

Cheers.[/quote]

Cory, give Byron Wiebe a call at Trukool Automotive at 604-888-3810 or email: cootersgarage@telus.net

He specializes in Hotrods, Vintage cars, Ubuilds, kit cars and customizing etc.
Very reasonable will give you the straight goods.
Take a few photos and drop by for a chat, he is in Langley north side of the freeway down towards the Golden Ears bridge.
Great guy to talk to, laid back and quite reasonable price wise.

Al

PostPosted: April 14, 2014, 9:14 pm 

Thanks for posting that info, Al.
I heard there is a guy in North Van, who has done 7's before, but since I'll most likely will have to come down to the Big Smoke anyway, this may be a viable option. Once I get closer, I'll start doing the rounds with pictures etc.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 12:02 pm 

I am sure there are probably a number of good people for inspections, finding one to work with is the hard part.
I went to Trukool because of a recommendation from the Old Car Center in Langley.
My inspection went well, I didn't need a frame integrity check and the only negative inspection comment was my original braided brake lines on the front were not DOT approved, he passed the car as was, with a note to change them as soon as time permits, which I did.
It went smoothly and like I mentioned earlier on this thread it only cost me $98 in total, I was quite pleased.
The next comment is my opinion, but I strongly feel the more professional the build looks, and the more professionally the presentation for the documentation, the easier it is to get it passed.

Al

PostPosted: April 16, 2014, 3:13 pm 

I agree, Al. Professionalism is very important.
While we are on this inspection subject, here is one rule that has me baffled. According to the inspection manual, the steering wheel cannot be less than 16 in diameter, otherwise it's a reject. My F150 factory steering wheel is 15 1/2 in and I can't even find a 16 inch at Speedway, Jegs etc. Anyone have any ideas how to handle that?

My build log:
My build video: