LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver, BC
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 2:56 pm 

Anyone registered one in Vancouver, BC. Rumor is that they want front/rear bumpers and windshield. True?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 3:16 pm 

Read and study this:

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/M/96318_00.htm

Then find someone who has the same interpretation as you.

Some may want sections of this to be followed:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GE ... _mvsrg.htm

Getting through in BC is like being pulled over by a cop - you are at the mercy of their interpretation.

Also, go to your local ICBC and have them print off section 3.17 Altered Cars and Trucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 8:40 pm 

Along with the MVA, you might want to familiarize yourself with the MVA Regulations as well.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/M ... _58_00.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 10:51 pm 

Oh yes, that's the one I meant to post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 11:05 pm 
There's one more...the BC Motor Vehicle Inspections book...not easily had, though. I have one because I used to be a CVSA inspector. This is the book by which your inspector will judge your car - it is basically all the others condensed into one, interpreted for Motor Vehicle Inspectors' use when inspecting vehicles. You could probably find one at the library, or there might be one online (I haven't found one, but I have a hard copy).

The best thing I can recommend is to shop for your inspector, long before you're ready for the inspection. Some will be eager to help, some less so, and some will hate the idea so much you couldn't get a new Porsche past 'em if you had fiddled with it. The inspector I'm going to use has been onboard with my build for years now, and WANTS it to finish & pass inspection (he REALLY wants a ride in it!). He's been building dirt-track & super stock race cars for years...he knows what is strong and safe, but isn't about to get bogged down with stupid niggling details.

Remember, even the BC inspections manual has a lot of room for leeway/interpretation. I've heard horror stories of inspectors wanting the vehicle submitted for destruction testing for crash-worthiness, another demanding airbags engineered in, etc. I've also heard of others giving things a quick once-over, and passing it no problem. You gotta get the right guy! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 12:31 am 

I've got a couple potential inspectors lined up, but Mike I might want to hit you up for your guy! I think its important to find someone that "gets" what a locost is, and is familiar with the super 7 concept. My car will be track-only before I'd ever considering putting bumpers on the thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 1:53 am 

Sorry for the super late reply. I got mine inspected at South Delta Motors in Tsawwassen in July of 2007. They were great to deal with. Ask for Phil, the shop owner. They worked with me rather than against me to get the car insured.

You will also need a weigh scale certificate. I got mine by driving down to the truck scale at the border crossing and getting a weigh certificate. There is no charge for this.

You will also need a structural inspection. It is important who you get to do this because some shops will make it very difficult for you to pass. I've heard horror stories of some shops making you take the car apart down to the frame to inspect it. I got my structural inspection done by a company called Collision Rebuilders. I can't seem to find the number right now but Phil at South Delta Motors has it. What's nice is that they came to South Delta Motors while the inspection was taking place and did the structural inspection on site.

You will also need to apply to ICBC for a BC assigned VIN. When you are going through this process, I recommend you title the car as a Ubilt, not a 19XX Lotus. Since my car is a Ubilt, it is exempt from Aircare. I know of a local builder whose car has to go through Aircare becasue it is titled as a 19XX Lotus.

Let me know if you run into any problems, and I can help you get your car on the road.

Mark

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 10:24 am 

zetec7 wrote:
There's one more...the BC Motor Vehicle Inspections book...not easily had, though. I have one because I used to be a CVSA inspector. This is the book by which your inspector will judge your car - it is basically all the others condensed into one, interpreted for Motor Vehicle Inspectors' use when inspecting vehicles. You could probably find one at the library, or there might be one online (I haven't found one, but I have a hard copy).

The best thing I can recommend is to shop for your inspector, long before you're ready for the inspection. Some will be eager to help, some less so, and some will hate the idea so much you couldn't get a new Porsche past 'em if you had fiddled with it. The inspector I'm going to use has been onboard with my build for years now, and WANTS it to finish & pass inspection (he REALLY wants a ride in it!). He's been building dirt-track & super stock race cars for years...he knows what is strong and safe, but isn't about to get bogged down with stupid niggling details.

Remember, even the BC inspections manual has a lot of room for leeway/interpretation. I've heard horror stories of inspectors wanting the vehicle submitted for destruction testing for crash-worthiness, another demanding airbags engineered in, etc. I've also heard of others giving things a quick once-over, and passing it no problem. You gotta get the right guy! :wink:

I know a guy up in Prince George that's an inspector (atleast i think that's what his job is) works at a weigh station. He's a huge gear head too, as i'm sure lots of CVSA inspectors are. Hopefully that's my fathers and my tickets to passing any sort of formal inspections.

Post subject: Re: Vancouver, BC
PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 4:07 pm 
You might find an inspector there - most commonly, though, you'll find them at full-service stations, Canadian Tire stores, etc., where there's a sign or sticker on the window advising that the place is a "B.C. Government Licensed Inspection Facility". If you find one where the inspector is a gear head, AND the place is fairly busy (you don't want them to have the time to go through every nut bolt, just to cover the basic safety stuff), AND you get him fired up with your project in advance, you should slide through without any problems.

If you find a shop with an inspector with a chip on his shoulder who hates the world, and he's in a shop with nothing but time on his hands, well, it could go very badly indeed (see SkinnyG's problems with this!).

The beauty of it in BC, though, is that because the inspections are done at commercial vehicle service places (instead of a centralized Government facility somewhere), it DOES allow you to shop around for the guy you want...somebody who's on board with what you want to do.

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 10:34 pm 

well if that's the case, all my dad will have to do is tell his boss to pass the car, and he'll finally take it out of the shop! it's been a three, maybe four year running project, he works a couple hours on it on tuesdays after work. but, like i said the shop is definitely licensed to do motor vehicle inspections.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 12:28 am 

zetec7 wrote:

Would this be the book you are talking about, it is available online from the Queens printer for 25 bucks a year.
http://www.vsis.qp.gov.bc.ca/default.htm

Though I suspect it is the same 2009 regulations as these.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/fre ... _58_01.xml

Al

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 1:24 am 

Whether you have all the right books or not, or build to the exact letter of the law or not doesn't matter as much as it does to play to the interpretation of your inspector. Find out what ~they~ want, and build to that.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 10:31 am 
raceral wrote:
zetec7 wrote:

Would this be the book you are talking about, it is available online from the Queens printer for 25 bucks a year.
http://www.vsis.qp.gov.bc.ca/default.htm

Though I suspect it is the same 2009 regulations as these.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/fre ... _58_01.xml

Al

The first one is the one you want. The second one isn't (it's just the 'Regulations Pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act", not the Inspections Standards manual). I'm not sure how the $25/year thing works...presumably, they send you a binder with annual updates. But, as SkinnyG pointed out (and believe me, he's been though the ringer), the inspector you choose can be your best friend...or your worst nightmare. The Inspections Standards manual will likely ensure you don't hit any major bumps in the road, but picking the right guy for the inspection...priceless.

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 12:05 pm 

I think the site mentions the book is available for use at the local library, maybe I will see later in the week.
It would seem the Ontario people would have a slightly better option, according to Jon's log he drove around until he found some one to do the inspection.
Here it sounds like we have to pick some one first and if they are the wrong one you are kind of stuck with the shop and to get rid of them is a bit difficult, or at least a nuisance.
Most of my friends that have been through it with kit cars seem to go to places that specialize in street/hot rods for their inspections.
Al

PostPosted: September 19, 2012, 9:33 pm 

I thought I'd resurrect this thread and let the BC guys on here hear my story.

A couple of years ago I was told about a small father and son garage that would do my safety inspection. I met with the father a few times and explained what I was building. He seemed OK with doing the inspection but said he wanted a structural integrity inspection done at a local body shop. When I had finished all the welding on my chassis I stuck in on top of my Cherokee and trucked it over to said body shop. The manager seemed interested and looked over the welds said "nice job"' bring it back when you are finished. I thought to myself this is easy.
A little later I took a bunch of build pics out to the father at the inspection garage, now he starts to hum and haw about needing to meet modern safety standards, says he needs to talk to the commercial vehicle inspector, bla bla bla. I said thanks and went home thinking of quitting or selling. My wife, who is a brilliant lawyer, said " Oh grow up and find another inspector, you [kitty cat]".
It turns out that a neighbor of mine who had stopped to look at the car one day has shop nearby, is an inspector, has a friend who races minis in historic races, who he does all the alignment for, would be happy to do the inspection...... I asked him if he would mind stopping by to give the car a once over before I applied for my VIN. He had a quick look and said lets get it done.
I packaged up a collection of receipts an application that my autoplan dealer had filled out and the title transfer of my donor. My friendly autoplan dealer even sent it off for me. A couple of days later I got a call from Vancouver to ask a few questions. Where did I get the seats?, I made them.. What about the tires? I just bought them. I don't see a bill for them. I didn't think to send it. Just fax it to me and I'll get your VIN out today. Glory be.
The inspection place had the VIN on Monday. I went to my autoplan dealer and asked for a permit to take the car for its safety inspection no problem for Tuesday.
Tuesday I drove (first time car had been on the road) out to the landfill and got it weighed and then to the inspection shop. I asked to have a wheel alignment done and when he was done that he put on the VIN tag and gave me the alignment report for the autobody shop.
When I got to the body shop the guy said he couldn't possibly do the inspection today, come back on Thursday, Oh and I can't pass it without a hood and you need a left hand mirror as well. So off I go to finish my hood and add a mirror. Wednesday was a busy day. I also went back to my friendly autoplan dealer and got another permit for Thursday. Again this was at no cost but insurance as it was still for a safety inspection.
Thursday morning bright and early I'm at the body shop. I can't pass this because the wheel alignment specs are out. In the computerized world of wheel alignments, there are no super sevens so my guy had just plugged in a lotus that was there, an Evora I think. A few phone calls and back to the alignment shop, also fix backup light, horn must work when ignition is off, paint the bracket that holds the ebrake cables(?) and put a piece of rubber under the strap that holds the spare tire on.
Back at the alignment shop we punch in our own parameters and reprint the alignment report, I go home fix the other little bits and return to the body shop. Now the manager is all friendly, he has talked to the commercial inspector who apparently knows all about sevens and locosts and who apparently said to do just what we had done regarding the alignment specs, namely make up your own.
Papers in hand I went straight to my friendly autoplan dealer. as soon as I pulled up she and several colleagues rushed out to have a look at her "John Deere" guy. Fifteen minute later I was bolting on my plates.
As my wife can attest to I do not deal with fools or bureaucrats very well so this was the most stressful three days I can ever remember. But hey, it's over
I'm legal, I'm on the road, I've done something cool and If I can do it you guys can do it. It was supposed to take three years and it took six. When my wife asked how much it would cost I said ten grand and I'm pretty close. If I hadn't put 2800 into the motor I would have been under..
If anyone in BC wants to hear more just PM me
David (Master of the Motorcar)

Oh, as I was finishing up at the autobody shop I asked him if he did a lot of hotrods and stuff like mine. He looked at me and said mine was the first he had ever done!