LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Jersey Info
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 11:55 am 
Ive been doing my reaserch on titleing the car in NJ....

To summarize, call the DMV they will send you a packet with all the pertinent info. Basically you need to be able to show where the major parts came from (engine, frame, body, axles etc...) through reciepts or titles. there is also a 5 page questionaire form to fill out. Then after all that is submitted, along with photos of the car, you have to bring the car down to Atlantic city so the DMV can inspect it there. It is the only DMV station that will inspect a special build car

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 8:23 am 
I don't have any reciepts for anything, do you think I could just have my buddy who's a chassis builder just write me a reciept for the whole lot? Also, from talking on the phone with the DMV, they said the chassis had to be stamped with a number from the builder, no home built chassis's were allowed. Do you have any more info on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2005, 12:53 pm 
No no info yet on a home built chassis. I am pretty sure that you can just use one big itemized reciept or a bunch of small ones from your buddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5, 2009, 12:13 pm 

Does anyone have any updates regarding NJ?

Post subject: Re: New Jersey Info
PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 8:37 am 

I spoke with the njmvc yesterday and they sent me my "reconstruct package". I haven't gotten it yet but as soon as I do I'll let you know what's in it, and maybe even try to put it up online somehow. I also had planned on building my own frame so I'll let you know what route I go.

My question is at what point is a frame a frame? How many pieces of metal welded together does it take? Can I find a frame builder to stamp a vin on a piece of tube stock and sell it to me?

Post subject: Re: New Jersey Info
PostPosted: September 1, 2016, 8:13 pm 

I updated this info elsewhere as well.
1) Reconstruct package is still in play.
2)When the car is complete, you have to fill out a form to petition the court to declare that you are the actual owner of the vehicle.
3) Then you apply for the title.
4) Safety Inspection required. Keep in mind that they require that things like brake fittings be "Automotive". Since no manufacturer uses AN fittings, they would be cause for failure if they see them present. That applies to all "Safety" related items. Lights, directionals, etc. must all be SAE or DOT approved. Windshields must have id etched in the corner of the windshield, etc.
5) Emissions are from the year of the donor Engine.
6) Homebuilt Chassis are allowed, but with any chassis that is welded on, you must provide the name and address of the person that did the welding.
7) The "Foreign Titles" unit handles the inspection / paperwork. You can go to Wesfield or Asbury Park at this time.
8) This is IMPORTANT! Regardless of what you do about receipts, make sure that if someone gives you a receipt, that they ACTUALLY PAY the sales tax to NJ. This kind of a thing can easily trigger an audit of your pal, and if they find that he is doing something, well, left of the law, they will enlarge his sphyncter large enough to park your 7 in! Don't ask how I know....

All that being said, I have found that the guys at Asbury Park have been very helpful in all of this. If you have a question on an interpretation of the requirements, call. They have helped me put a bunch of things in order. I'd recommend going there if you can.