LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 28, 2010, 7:15 am 

Brad20j wrote:
How did the DMV know that the markings were missing? Did they ask for closeup pics of each light? Or was that a detail they requested somewhere.

Thanks again,
Brad

There is a form 2 pages long with check boxes and lines that have to be filled in called the "Required Equipment List" and one of the sections was what the DOT marking for every light on your car is.

PostPosted: July 28, 2010, 10:54 am 

I'm currently planning to do my first BEC build in a couple years, so this information is really great. Could you tell me if they require a reverse of any sort? What about an emergency brake? Man, that is kinda dumb about the windshield wipers and defroster :x

PostPosted: July 29, 2010, 7:09 am 

I havn't seen any requirement to have a reverse gear anywhere in the required equipment list, a backup light is required though and seeing how strict they are, they would probably make you put the light on even if you didn't have a reverse gear.

Also, you have to have indicators on the dash to note if your blinkers are on, again, something not on the list but required. Was going to get to that eventually just for convenience because my self cancelling are on a timer and not driven by the steering shaft, so it would be nice to have.

PostPosted: July 29, 2010, 5:52 pm 

4 weeks later and I finally got a packet from the "DMV Field Investigation Division" who are the ones who do the VIN inspection. I was expecting my schedule and forms for my vin inspection, but instead its all my paperwork returned to me with a letter saying that I don't need a VIN inspection but that I need to go through the "salvage process" instead...... So I call to find out what is going on, turns out even though I filled out the paperwork for a home made vehicle, and in the letter that accompanied all my paper work I cleary explained that my donor car was a donor car, they still for some reason thought that I had repaired the rx8 and was trying to put that back on the road...... So now I have to send everything back and wait another 4 weeks. :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH: :BH:

And to make it worse, after explaining everything, she said I am going to need proof that the reason I don't have the original title, only a copy, is that I gave it to the guy who took it for salvage, which I don't have... Even though I have a copy of the title, and a bill of sale for the donor.

PostPosted: July 29, 2010, 7:21 pm 

Oh man, that blows. Can't wait to deal with all that myself years from now.

PostPosted: August 16, 2010, 12:44 pm 

Finally got my schedule for VIN inspection next monday at 10:30. Sent updated pictures in to the approval office 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back, dunno if that is good or if he is just ignoring me.

I'm having a heck of a time finding insurance as well. The collector insurance places like Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, etc won't insure me because I have only had my license for like 8 years.... Plus their restrictions are retarded. In talks with State Farm though, it seemed like it wouldn't be an issue with them, still have to hear back from their underwriter though..

PostPosted: August 16, 2010, 1:28 pm 

Got a call back from another insurance company, "We can't cover a vehicle of this type, it's too exposed" .......... whatever that means.......

PostPosted: August 16, 2010, 1:39 pm 

What the heck? Stupid paperwork and such to get your car on the road. Don't they know we just want to have fun?

PostPosted: August 17, 2010, 3:59 pm 

I called the approval office to find out if I met approval or not, turns out the guy I have been talking with has been on vacation for a while, so another guy got my file and in the notes it said that everything is set and ready to go. 8)

The guy also metioned that if/when I pass my VIN inspection that they will give me a signed copy of the forms I had filled out, which I then need to fax to the approval office, who will send me the stuff I need to register the car at my local DMV.

PostPosted: August 17, 2010, 6:55 pm 

Daed wrote:
I called the approval office to find out if I met approval or not, turns out the guy I have been talking with has been on vacation for a while, so another guy got my file and in the notes it said that everything is set and ready to go. 8)

The guy also metioned that if/when I pass my VIN inspection that they will give me a signed copy of the forms I had filled out, which I then need to fax to the approval office, who will send me the stuff I need to register the car at my local DMV.

i would definitely not go to the dmv in Utica go to Rome or even out to Herkimer they are much MUCH better to deal with..

09 109R
04 IS300
91 MR2t
93 toyota PU
91 alltrac (gt-4)

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 5:55 pm 

I have a VIN! :D

Turns out the VIN inspection is only to make sure that you didn't use any stolen parts. So a short talk with the armed DMV agent :? and a 10 minute inspection I now have a VIN.

I thought that at the VIN inspection they would be verifying that all my lights actually had the proper marks on them and such. He said that he doesn't care about that stuff and that I just need to go to any garage and get a normal safety inspection for that stuff.

He gave me a copy of and faxed the the completed VIN application form to the technical division bureau and they will be sending me a completed VS-103. I take the VS-103 along with my VIN application to the DMV and get my registration and a 10 day exempt from safety inspection, drive it to my buddy who owns a garage and get my inspection. And then it's all legal.

Oh, insurance as well. Found a local State Farm agent who will cover the car like any other car and will give me just liability on it for about $400 a year. And while about twice as much as the collector and specialty insurances, there are no restrictions or limits on how I use it.

8)

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 6:51 pm 

awesome!! you must have had the same guy that looked at my motorcycle when i built it.. I'll have to get that agents name from you when it comes time..

09 109R
04 IS300
91 MR2t
93 toyota PU
91 alltrac (gt-4)

PostPosted: August 24, 2010, 10:02 am 

Congrats!! Glad to hear it worked out.

PostPosted: August 25, 2010, 8:04 am 

They put the wrong VIN # on the VS-103. So after about 1.5 hours at the dmv trying to straigten everything out, I have to go back today because they had to close... Have an appointment today to continue straigtening stuff out. It should be pretty smooth though because I called the technical division and had them resend the vs-103 with the proper vin, and now I just have to get a new copy of my insurance cards with the proper VIN.

Oh, and for insurance. The make and model on the insurance cards has to match what the VS-103 and MV-272.1 say. In my case they both said "2010 Custom" while the insurance said "2010 Lotus Seven Conv". That caused a bit of a hang up but my new State Farm agent is great and got everything fixed up for me.

Hopefully today...
:drive:

PostPosted: August 25, 2010, 10:21 am 

Got my plates, registration, and 10 day safety inspection waiver!
Now it just needs to stop pouring outside. :|