LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 21, 2019, 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13, 2012, 4:12 pm 

I've seen the same concept on a motorcycle trailer a few years ago and while looking for pictures I found a different approach. I think this solution is as good as the trailer comes of the tow vehicle but it does provide a flat load surface.

Attachments:
trailerdecal2.jpg
trailerdecal2.jpg [ 33.22 KiB | Viewed 2619 times ]
trailerdecal.jpg
trailerdecal.jpg [ 33.79 KiB | Viewed 2619 times ]

PostPosted: June 14, 2012, 8:30 pm 

I have a trailer that uses the same basic principle but the pivot is reversed,works great for light and very low cars.
This is the guys that made mine;

http://www.bigtoytrailers.ca/

This is my car in the trailer,the slope is so slight pushing it in by hand is a pc of cake.

PostPosted: June 15, 2012, 3:07 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
they were large diameter round alloy plates that they could roll the cars around on, I was impressed so I made a set of "wheels" for my FF out of 3 layers of 1/2" plywood laminated together.

Being as a spare is a pain to carry anywhere, I don't know why more Locost, kit car etc. guys don't do this for a spare wheel as to not damage their good wheel while getting to somewhere for repair.

PostPosted: June 15, 2012, 3:37 pm 

Cheapracer,

Policemen might not like plywood wheels ... although an acquaintance of mine once got a mini home (the Issigonis version, not the modern 'big mini') some 50 miles with a bad right rear wheel bearing by simply starting the car, moving the battery to the driver's foot well, and then removing the wheel (LHD car). There was only the occasional shower of sparks if he went around a right hand corner too fast. Don't know if HE saw a policeman, but a plywood disc painted black would have attracted less attention (but done nothing for the wheel bearing).

Oops - sorry - this string was about trailers, but the story was burning my fingertips.

PostPosted: June 15, 2012, 5:00 pm 

My old bike trailer had a trailing arm twist beam axle with screw mounted coil overs. I could crank it down flat on the ground. It worked great for hauling my massive 125cc GP bikes :wink:

PostPosted: June 17, 2012, 12:15 pm 

So..... I emailed Renegade Trailers for a bit more info.

Here's the response;

Quote:
Hi Jack,

Thank you for your interest in our trailers! They do have suspension, we use leaf springs and forward projecting swing arms.

They are made of steel and hot dip galvanized so they wont rust which is the way we all generally build trailer in here in New Zealand.

The swing arms are tested to 2000kg without twisting.

We use electric winches sometimes and also hydraulic cylinders and electric jacks on some of our trailers.

We have a patent pending but if any of you need one let me know!!

Regards

Glen Reid
m 021918800

Glen Reid - Renegade Trailers [url]glen@renegadetrailers.co.nz[/url]

PostPosted: June 17, 2012, 6:50 pm 

Dont know about that patent thing..there seems to be plenty of copy;s out in the market place..slight change here.. slight change there..and its a different trailer unless you try to patent all the variables ..which would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..but i suppose he's just trying to cover his butt..one offs should be fine ..but if you were to start making them in any quantity..well thats a whole different story

kiwi Dave

PostPosted: June 17, 2012, 11:42 pm 

L8 apexr wrote:

Am I seeing studded tires here? What's the story behind them?

PostPosted: June 18, 2012, 6:02 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
L8 apexr wrote:

Yes those are studded,I was just using the previous years ice race tires as rollers.

PostPosted: June 18, 2012, 9:28 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:

Yes those are studded,I was just using the previous years ice race tires as rollers.

They look like flat topped studs....the ones that lay over and bite with their edge. The ones that I've used in the past, called Lindorfers after the guy that designed and manufactured them, could get enough bite in ice that we could actually break drive train components on a standing start.

Bill

PostPosted: June 18, 2012, 10:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

If y'all are gonna go off on grammar, spelling, punctuation and composition, I'm gonna quote that giant of literature, Joel Chandler Harris, and emulate his character... "Now B'rer Fox, he lay low..."

:cheers:
JD "Y'all talk funny up Nawth" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 26, 2012, 7:24 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
BHRmotorsport wrote:

They look like flat topped studs....the ones that lay over and bite with their edge. The ones that I've used in the past, called Lindorfers after the guy that designed and manufactured them, could get enough bite in ice that we could actually break drive train components on a standing start.

Bill

Yes they are just aluminum bodied,flat topped street legal studs as the class uses a spec tire/stud combo and these are them.The top class moved away from homebuilts years ago to menards.Do you still ice race,if you do I'd assume you know Jordan Sharples?.