LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 7, 2012, 1:17 pm 

This may sound strange, but up until the Locost I have always had a quick street car that I take to our local track to do track days (on a road course) and drag race. A Locost is not your typical drag car, so I was wondering if any of you have drag raced one? If you read the IHRA rules, it appears I will need a roll cage (6 point). The Locost is I guess technically a "convertable running quicker then 13.99" ??? So I am thinking to be legit, I will need a fire proof jacket, 6 point cage and a helmet? If any of you have photos of a six point cages in a locost that would be good too. I want to find one that is not cosmetically challenged. A six point cage is probably much more cosmetically pleasing if you find yourself upside down. :roll:

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

PostPosted: November 7, 2012, 3:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, 7!
Look up Junior's build. I don't recall his roll cage specs, but I know he was into drag racing and turned in some pretty quick times.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 11, 2012, 8:13 am 

This isn't finished, but it gives you an idea how a six-point could look, although this one probably needs a diagonal in the rear hoop to be legal. Sanctioning bodies might also want to see diagonal braces on the link between the windshield frame (Bambi hoop) and the roll bar too - my fore and aft bars are positioned more as entry-egress assists.

(The roll bar is one of Jack's, but the addition of the windshield frame and fore-and-aft bars is my own doing)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 11, 2012, 12:21 pm 

the best advice i can offer is a funny car cage, mounting on the frame at the outside and the tunnel on the inside or stretch the inside to the other side of the car.

but we in it shall be remembered.